HZ Resistors installation Precaution in Microphone Building and Tool Advises.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jazzandvo said:
Hi Gang
Love this site, great info. Thanks in advance for any help. My brother finished my D-87 project this weekend and the mic sounds very good. One issue I am having is I seem to have to use a LOT of gain with this mic. Far more than even a MXL 2001 or Samson C-01 mic. I have a Beesnees capsule and Cinemag transformer along with Chung's body and Dany's PCB.
Again, the mic sounds good but just having questions on why so much gain should have to be used on this. I'm talking 3/4 of max gain from my Grace M101 mic pre, whereas the MXL 2001 can sound same loudness with less than half of the gain input

Thanks all!
Bill

the difference will be about 10db less sensitive and it is absolutely normal ,  not more than that ,
that is part of the sounds of this mic.
if not then your bias is wrong ,
hope this helps,
dan,

poctop said:
jazzandvo said:
Hi Gang
Love this site, great info. Thanks in advance for any help. My brother finished my D-87 project this weekend and the mic sounds very good. One issue I am having is I seem to have to use a LOT of gain with this mic. Far more than even a MXL 2001 or Samson C-01 mic. I have a Beesnees capsule and Cinemag transformer along with Chung's body and Dany's PCB.
Again, the mic sounds good but just having questions on why so much gain should have to be used on this. I'm talking 3/4 of max gain from my Grace M101 mic pre, whereas the MXL 2001 can sound same loudness with less than half of the gain input

Thanks all!
Bill

the difference will be about 10db less sensitive and it is absolutely normal ,  not more than that ,
that is part of the sounds of this mic.
if not then your bias is wrong ,
hope this helps,
dan,

Look here and check the other posts in this area regarding biasing FET's

http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=48030.msg665295#msg665295

Banzai said:
If you build a few projects a year, a box of powderless nitrile gloves is a worthwhile investment. Here they're around $5 for 100, so $0.10 cost per capsule installed.

For the nuisance, after a while you really do forget you're wearing anything... It even starts to feel weird working on something without them ;).

poctop said:
YEP
i always use powder less gloves using those, cleaning them with un pure solvent always leaves impurities,
you will notice that when mouser ship them to you they are specially packed in a carton sleeve so you dont have to mess with them to start with :) 

Best,
Dan,

Why is powderless important? Isn't the powder only on the inside of the glove?

Delta Sigma said:
Banzai said:
If you build a few projects a year, a box of powderless nitrile gloves is a worthwhile investment. Here they're around $5 for 100, so $0.10 cost per capsule installed.

For the nuisance, after a while you really do forget you're wearing anything... It even starts to feel weird working on something without them ;).

poctop said:
YEP
i always use powder less gloves using those, cleaning them with un pure solvent always leaves impurities,
you will notice that when mouser ship them to you they are specially packed in a carton sleeve so you dont have to mess with them to start with :) 

Best,
Dan,

Why is powderless important? Isn't the powder only on the inside of the glove?
The powder doesn't stay there.  It also gets blown out of the glove when you close your hand, etc.
I can't use gloves for more than a couple minutes because I get rashy and also sweat in them after just a few min (creating a whole other problem when sweat drips out of the glove).  So, I use a strong soap like Irish Spring every hour which keeps the finger oils to a minimum (on my hands, at least).  I find flux splatter to be much more of a mess than finger oils but when handling the most critical of parts, like a capsule, best to be cautious and I'll use powerless gloves for however long it takes to mount it, clean it, etc.

Just to add to the thread, fingerprints on tubes are not an issue.  Signal tubes don't run hot enough for that to be a problem as it is in halogen bulbs.  Sometimes, a person is more inclined to break or drop things while wearing gloves (me for instance) so if you prefer to handle tubes with bare hands, that's not a problem.

Back