Igor's high quality projects. Store closed, stuff shipped. A crazy idea - pg83.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys, a bit form my experience from Igor:

- Some parcels took 4 months, some parcels took 5 days (!!!!!!)
- The 5 day parcel, the tracking didn't happen until day 4-5 and it said "shipped"
- Igor does say allow 4 weeks minimum. He always did.
- A few of my friends had mistakes - eg. no power supply - and Igor dealt with it no questions asked.

All of us got their parcels. Again, a few months waiting regardless (except for the few times that the parcel arrived in like 5 working days).

Not ranting - on the contrary. Just trying to ease some minds around here :)

Hi Igor,
I'm also really glad you're doing better.
Health is the most important, i just wich him the best
And your crazy idea is not so crazy ! Please give some details about your location (near airport, and so ...)
Cheers,
Pascal

I read it. Re-read my posts more carefully. I believe my order will arrive. My concern is the timeliness of shipment. It takes two weeks to send something Israeli post to where I live - sometimes if it is held in customs it can up to five weeks which is not normally the case. Every DIY person and vender here shipped as soon as payment was rendered and provided a tracking number.

Positive shipping results are most welcome. :)  I am sure I will get my tracking number in the next day or so since he just promised he sent all the ordered out yesterday on monday.

Axelerator said:
piano, you should read the whole thread. in all the years i got everything from igor. sometimes it took a long,long  time. sometimes there were some parts later shipped.
But i don´t know anybody here on the forum who did not get everything  ordered..after a time..
israel post can be a unpredictible factor ,too.
once i got a parcel 2 month (!) after the post-stamp went on it.
once i got a parcel which had a post stamp which was 3 days in advance from that day !? :eek: ??? ;D

igors projects are top notch, serious units i have here .even better than the originals i think.

hope you get your units like everybody else.

greets,
axel

Igor - as cool as a Bootcamp with you sounds, the best thing you could do for the community would be to enter a partnership agreement with someone stateside and in Europe (I'm in Australia and I'll put my hand up for anything). You could stlll do your bootcamps, the Video Tutorials are the best practical idea but if there are no projects leaving the door your making vids for the past.) Theres so many cool designs and someone will fill the space for sure - no one is indispesible. I just hope your health is OK as I know what it is like to live through and survive a life threatening illness. There are just so many postive reasons to keep going - especially for yourself - you created this so make sure no-one steels the ship while your laid up. Kind regards Matt

dogma said:
Igor - as cool as a Bootcamp with you sounds, the best thing you could do for the community would be to enter a partnership agreement with someone stateside and in Europe (...).

+1 vote for availibility of the PCB's already designed! 8)

Received my MixBuzz1 on Friday  :) looks great, can't wait to get on it. I am waiting on another order I made, strange thing with the Israel track and post, the first number I entered and could track, the second wouldn't work for ages, then I tried with lower cases letters e.g: rr23456789il and got tracking details!

Gareth

Hi folks

I've been chatting with Igor about continuing to make his 51x/500 series designs available.
We've pretty much got to an agreement that will work, so I wanted to get a feel on how much continued interest there is in these designs (i.e. who still wants to be buying them?).

Here is what I would be offering:

PCB's for the following Igor 51x/500 series projects:
He69
4KCC
F76
MixBuzz
Rackit!

- Store location is the UK, with Royal Mail used for postage. So, increased reliability, lowered postage costs and no import tax - at least for those in Europe.

- No 'kits' (at least to start with).  .fpd files for front panels would be provided with updated documentation and BOM's. I would intend to (eventually) provide better documentation on how to construct each of these units. This will take time :)

- I am not a 'guru' on Igor's projects, or anything more than a hobbyist (although with electrical engineers in family. Different fields though). So support from me will be somewhat limited.
Igor has indicated he'd like to be able to continue giving support as much as time allows. I intend to bring myself up to speed and build these projects asap.
Money, not time is the only limitation here. so far I have completed the rackit! and He69 (now working). Anyone with tips/notes/pics/improved BOM's on any of these projects are encouraged to get in touch!

So why do this? My motivation is somewhat selfish - I want to be able to continue to build these projects and learn!
I have experience of running online commerce and the time to do it. So why not :)

Hi ramshackles,

These are fantastic news! Igors genius designs paired with reliable, ongoing availability and still online support from the Guru himself is the best way to be. After all, there will be increasing interest in nice and indispensible DIY candies, all over the world.

PCB and L-Bracket is what I need (faceplate optional). Never saw the point spending time in offering full-kits and stocking parts, where you can buy anything you want from known vendors with one mouseclick (provided a proper BOM/e-cart at hand). 

500 series are highly welcomed. Nobody will argue that the passive EQ's (He69) and improved 1176 (F76) are studio's must haves.

Question: Any plans to add the 19' Projects like MixBuzz1, Sontec EQ and the Neve compressors to your portfolio? BA-283 output stage and XLR bypass PCB I will miss, for sure.

Anyway, thank you in advance for your appreciated efforts. Let the DIY force with you :) 

I've invested significant effort documenting the F76 build and would be interested in helping "evangelize" that design as time permits.  I'm hoping you will have the L-bracket specifications and will be able to manufacture those.  The faceplate was also a PCB setup which worked just find for my uses.  Will those be available?  I am not opposed to helping "full kit" these and would be willing to invest the funds required to do so at volume because I feel the product is much better promoted in that manner.

Igor,

1) Have all orders been sent out as you promised for a week ago?
2) Have all orders been sent tracking numbers?

Thank you in advance for answering.

piano said:
I read it. Re-read my posts more carefully. I believe my order will arrive. My concern is the timeliness of shipment. It takes two weeks to send something Israeli post to where I live - sometimes if it is held in customs it can up to five weeks which is not normally the case. Every DIY person and vender here shipped as soon as payment was rendered and provided a tracking number.

Positive shipping results are most welcome. :)  I am sure I will get my tracking number in the next day or so since he just promised he sent all the ordered out yesterday on monday.

For Ramshackles:

Good to hear Ramshackles is selling the Igor stuff.

Ramshackles, could you offer an option of UPS or Fed Ex shipping?

Royal Post has a reputation, among some, for high failure to deliver rates and can get caught up in US customs more often than the privatized companies.

Hi Ramshackles...

Good one on the potential distribution, I pm'ed you, but yes you can count me in for the 500 series pcb's. I'm very interested in the 1ru projects though, will you be making them available too? Red Sontec, 33609, etc.

All the best

Gareth

I just received a notice in the mail that my package is waiting for me at the post office.  This is great!  I also would love to see the rest of the projects be made available again.  There are so many that I wish I had found this place before these were made unavailable due to Igor shutting down the store. 

Thanks,

Andy

Ramshackle:
I would be in for at least a pair of 4KCC, a pair of F76, a pair of helios and maybe a mixbuzz 500. and in the future hopefully 2254

But I would need the corel draw files for the front panel (which igor had on his documentation packages - please get these awesome .rar files of him!) but also the L bracket drill and cutout sizes - since the PCB needs to allign with the edge connectors.

Let's get ball running on this :D

Hi guys
The response is great and has given me the motivation (and faith that I won't end up in debt) to go ahead with this.
Don't get carried away...yet...it will be a little while before anything is up and running.
Nothing is signed with Igor yet as I said, we reached a 'gentlemens' agreement and I posted here to gauge interest. He is keen for this though and I have just contacted him with a 'ok go!' message and hopefully it will be concluded soon.

In answer to some questions:

Stock
Only 500/51x series planned for now, from my part. I want this shop to be very efficient, organized and honest. Starting with just the 500/51x series is the best way to do this for me. It also helps minimize the risk to me :)

L-brackets & front plates
As part of the agreement, I would receive all specifications/layouts for these. I don't have the tooling required to drill/engrave any of these and am not willing to make the investment at this point. With each project I plan to provide frontpanel express (fpd) files and/or Corel files for each front panel. So you can basically order a front panel separately with no effort.
All dimensions for L-brackets will also be provided.
If there is a good source for L-plates & drilling or some I will consider it.
I am looking into this and I hope to be able to offer at least the L-plates at first, although they might not be available immediately.

Documentation/BOM's
I think everyones experience of these projects is that the documentation and BOM's can be a little sketchy/hazy sometimes and one of my key tasks will be to bring these up to speed.
Providing very clear BOM's should be no problem and require only some time. I have that.
Providing clear tutorials/docs will take more time.

Use of Royal Mail for shipping.
Simple reasons for this. I have never really had any problem with receiving stuff from Royal Mail, perhaps I am lucky.
Royal Mail has post offices all over every town in the UK, just like national post of any country. This makes it easier and more efficient for me to post and easier for the customer to pick up a parcel if he/she misses it. Which is often the case :)
I am not against offering an option of UPS or Fed-ex for overseas postage. But this will likely cost more.

When?
No time scale on this yet. As I say, it is early days. There is a lot to do, even after everything is agreed & transferred.
I am very fastidious and patient and will not launch anything until it is 100% ready. So have patience :)
As for my part, I am not offering anything yet

Investment/Partnerships etc..
Had a few questions regarding this.
I do not have a problem with time, computing resources, mental resources etc and neither would I need help actually running the shop :).
I wont split work load between any other parties or anything crazy like that and I don't think Igor will want this either. It will all be run from one place, under one 'banner'.

However, I am always all ears to any sensible proposals etc
Money is always needed in this world (some day I'll build my strawbale house/studio and leave it all behind :) ) and if you want to put up some finances to get something off the ground (full kits or whatever) or want to know the boring details of how I plan to run the shop, just PM me.

Please note: I will not consider any offers that are basically a loan (or require a return regardless of the performance of the business). Banks are always available if I want to sell my soul.

Latest posts

Back