I'm Getting Nervous Already - Gustav

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's exciting now is that some dry air has mixed in and interfered with what was an anticipated strengthing. So we could have more of that and reduction in the destructive force continuing. If the trajectory sort of slides along the coast it won't be a cakewalk by any means, but perhaps an opportunity to dissipate before serious landfall.

Less is good... I lost satellite once already tonight from the heavy rain, but that happens from any decent storm.

Looks like it's tracking west of me but we'll still get some moisture.

The latest surge projections for N.O. look like they should be OK, but then again they were supposed to be OK last time.

Good luck to everybody at risk, still a serious storm, and these things like to spawn twisters, en passe.

JR

The big N.O. thing IIRC was the levee breaching---after a lot of us breathed some relief that the city wasn't just leveled, then the real messes occurred.

As I say it will be nasty anywhere it makes landfall, but I do hope it hits in places a bit better equipped to cope.

Greg, Tillman, and all you NOLA/Gulf Coasties

Hope you, your family and friends made it through the storm and all is well.

Kevin aka KaZ

[quote author="signalflow"]Still with us John?

-Casey[/quote]

moi?

I don't want to make light of a storm that killed some 75-80 people in the Caribbean but my preparation consisted of making some more ice so I'd have cold beer if we lost power and putting out some new grass seed to take advantage of the rain event (Mainly to re-grow my yard still torn up from katrina).

It looks like in the US, most of the deaths were from hospital evacuees and a percentage of them would have died anyhow in hospital. Still a major tropical storm in western LA and NO still has an inadequate levee system.

Maybe they will see that it's cheaper to build up the levees up to say cat 5, than evacuate for every storm.

JR

PS: I'm tempted to start a thread about how to prevent hurricanes... Huge ocean going floating platforms along the equator with wind turbines that take wind energy and pump cold water to the surface.. This will use the wind power to pump away the heat energy that makes more wind power. Properly managed we could probably extract excess energy from such a system.

Sounds like a good idea, but what would the news stations do with all their free time when everyone is safe from everything? Lets face it the amount of good news and prosperity pales in comparison too all the doom and gloom.

-Casey

I have to say that as elated as I was about how relatively mild this was this time, I sensed a distinct disappointment on the part of weather and news people.

And now we have the next two letters coming up, Hanna and Ike. At least Hanna isn't situated to become the hard-hearted vamp of Savannah.

EDIT: Ooops spoke too soon, they are talking about Georgia being potentially in the path.

I find it interesting that smart money in the oil markets were selling oil on friday, while the public weather reports were doing their "the sky is falling" routine. The commodity traders pay serious money for private weather reports that are apparently pretty good.

I guess the television weather people get in more trouble, and receive lower ratings, if they under sell a storm vs. over selling it. Next tropical storm heading for the oil patch, I'll look at the oil futures market rather than alarmist weather channels.

Today we (east-central MS) have some heavy rain bands coming through but mostly a rain event not much wind to speak of. It looks like the center of rotation is way over in Shreveport, LA. but plenty of moisture here today. It's been interesting to watch the radar to see when the next band of rain is due.

JR

Back