I'm super proud of this one

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

So it's was the usual story of a Sennheiser 421 getting hit hard and the grill coming off. and the mic sitting on my tech bench.  This usually has a note attached with some form of sorry and fix asap.  I have seen it happen before. As long as the capsule is good, it's usually, no big deal. You can bend out the dents and pop the grill back on. If your really on it, you  can epoxy the grill so it doesn't pop off.  Use silicone in case you ever need to remove it again. Anyway This one was special as half the grill was M.I.A. So It took a few hours of bending/shaping grill material by hand and some cutting with tin snips. but I made a very nice almost identical grill to replace to missing one. My only concern is will people start to think it's side address as there are 2 grill colors now?

Attachments

• 421 a001.jpg
    421 a001.jpg
    31.7 KB
Yeah... second foto it looks like a kick drum mic.
you could have fun with the interns on that one!

That looks freakin' GREAT!
I'm way impressed!

I'm gonna bust up a mic or two so I can try it!
but first, what sorta mesh is that?

pucho812 said:
My only concern is will people start to think it's side address as there are 2 grill colors now?

They already think that with uniform grill color!

Great work! Looks like an upgrade. Tell people it's a special limited edition.

Hi,

on the subject of side-address/end-address confusion, once-upon-a-long-time-ago, I was booked to work with some rappers at their studio. They were having a problem getting a vocal sound. They were hand-holding a u87, singing into the end, and, you guessed it! - a previous engineer had told them that this particular mic sounded better on figure-8 . . . . . .

I think it was some kind of revengue on his part. Perhaps he didn't get paid either . . . .

They were all so blunted by skunk, that it took fricken' AGES to explain! Two weeks later I got a repeat phone call for me to come round - they'd already forgotten how to put it right . . . .

ANdyP

Back