Incremental Backups

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Electrobumps

I've been using Freefilesync which works well, but I'd prefer to be doing daily incremental backups to Dropbox while on projects. Any recommendations?

Thanks

What OS do you use?
what is incremental backup to you?
Do you want daily snapshots to be able to recall older versions (including deleted or overwritten files). Or just be able to recall the latest state in case your computer crashes overnight.

I work in post-production, i do some "save as" at the start of the day and whenever i feel i could need to go back to current state. At the end of the day, i upload everything on a distant server via ftp. the ftp server is also used to share projects with my team. This is good enough for us and has proven reliable. The server also has automated backup to a second ftp server (different location).

For my personal computer, i run linux and wrote a script that will take daily snapshots of my files and upload them to my file server using rsync. Important thing is to write the restore script before you need it.

Cheers,

Thomas

If you want to go hard, you can set up a server running something like nextcloud, which allows you to be able to access your projects remotely from public wifi. It's like a personal dropbox, but a lot faster up and down speeds when you're at home. Kind of overkill but more secure since it's all yours. Requires some networking knowledge though.

Mac has time machine back ups, but i don't think you can easily get specific files out of there.

I like to have a backup drive for each project. Ex. each album has a 1tb drive, and I dump the session files on there at the end of the day.

Always have 2 backups, and one off-site if you can. Storage is so cheap now it's crazy to lose your efforts because a third-party cloud service went down with your projects on it.

x2 for save-as, or duplicate the file before you start and save a new version.

On my old mac, I had issues with the file structure of logic session files syncing up properly when pulling files down from the cloud. Might be something to think about when using cloud services. Old versions of your local OS might not play well with whatever OS is on the cloud server that's doing your incremental backups, resulting in inaccurate backups or corrupt files.

Chronosync does my incremental backups. I don’t use cloud storage, as I use several gigs per day and sometimes much more. I backup to two local drives, one of which I carry home every night.

I also save as frequently, but the backups come in handy.

I also use NeoFinder to catalog all my drives so I can locate files even on unmounted volumes.

I simply don't use the cloud for backups. I've seen far too many disasters over the years. The same goes for NAS/RAID systems. The smaller ones have one point of failure that's disastrous: failure of the controller. Usually, it's not available from the manufacturer, so you need to find one on the second hand market and hope it is the right one. Online storage isn't a backup.

I used to backup to DVD, these days I use harddisks. 4 TB = 100€. Relatively cheap for something as important as backup. And you keep them in house, so you don't have to worry about providers going broke, or simply having a bad bug.

Any backup is fundamentally useless if you don't test it regularly.

Apple's Time Machine can be configged, but that's not as easy as it should be because it's not meant to fiddle with. It's a complete running backup. You can exclude parts, but that only is easy if you have separate data harddisks.

Latest posts

Back