Iphone as test tone generator

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Theres a definate concensus emerging here , I knew all along Microsoft were doing the exact same and avoided their swizz ,
The big boys are playing games over our heads ,using us as pawns , same old story since the dawn of time , if it aint broke dont try and fix it is the moral of the story .
cheers

I use an old iphone 6 with the 3.5mm output jack. It's great for testing stuff. No need for fancy adaptors either. The Apple one is really bad and if you're using it like I do, the cable breaks in no time at all - plus it's so easy to lose. I had an iPhone 7 and downgraded to a 6S as I got so sick of using (and losing) the adapter. The 6S (not the 6) is still updateable (for now).

For test signals, use the Faber Acoustical Signal Suite. It's a very useful app. I really wish Apple would put the 3.5mm socket back! Not everyone wants to use cordless headphones...

I really wish Apple would put the 3.5mm socket back! Not everyone wants to use cordless headphones...

I also enjoyed the mini Jack output, very easy and convenient and one less thing to carry, loose or get broken.

But unfortunately I don’t think it will ever be back, not only with Apple, I think it will disappear from the outputs of most devices

I find the lightening to headphones/mic input usefull and convienient for testing audio gear , the remote volume allows me set the signal levels , play/pause works too .
I havent had a chance to try the 2.99 euro aftermarket lightening to line out 3.5mm plug yet ,
the specs of the apple device are fairly good , be interesting to see how the Chinese knock off fares ,
Apple also have a combined input/output AD/DAC to lightening , when it senses a signal on the wire it switches to input automatically .
I was also able to make my own test tones in Reaper with R channel phase flipped to make a balanced signal from the L/R single ended outputs .

The Faber suite looks very nice indeed , but Im trying to avoid any form of signup to appstore ,
I've also dissabled practically every service on the phone ,
Its just media player , camera and the abillity to record audio Im after , sadly the Rode I-XY needs its own app to be recognised . Dissabling a lot of tasks and services definately helps battery life though .

Last edited:
Back