Mitsos API 312 / 990 Build Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found an easy method for taking of the channel frames.

I used a small flathead screwdriver to lift the tabs up a bit then used pliers or big wire cutters to lift them back completely. Then I grabbed the side tabs with the pliers and wiggled a bit to free the sides from the epoxy, then I grabbed down by one of the newly exposed corners and did the same, I went through 7 of them in about 10 minutes.

Quick question so I can finish up some wiring... Pin 5 (center pin) of the daughter board molex is just a ground reference for the wire shielding (doesn't actually connect to the daughter board), correct?

grantlack said:
Quick question so I can finish up some wiring... Pin 5 (center pin) of the daughter board molex is just a ground reference for the wire shielding (doesn't actually connect to the daughter board), correct?
Correct.

Thar she blows

5495628534_83bc2907e9_b.jpg

5495035719_a95557e994_b.jpg

Front panel courtesy of grand master audio, power supply by ppa.

one of the last 4 channels (or opamps) has a fault somewhere as a regulator shuts off with them in circuit, so I'm running only the first four for now. Opamps are:

1-2 germanium by ppa
3-4 "enhanced" 2520 version by ppa
5-6 gar1731
7-8 gar2520

Nice work sir! :)
Be interested to hear the difference between op-amps and are those Omeg rev log pots?

mrclunk said:
Nice work sir! :)
Be interested to hear the difference between op-amps and are those Omeg rev log pots?

Thanks. Yes, those are indeed Omeg rev-logs. The black tri-level things below them are T-pad attenuators from hairball audio. I spent a fortune on them so I could have a post-transfromer output trim. It works nicely, though the output pad switch would be sufficient :)

How should one go about multiple opamp sound tests.. maybe I should playback something through the input of the same channel set at same gain, switching opamps? What little I did for now, it seems there is little absolute night-day difference between them. Maybe the iron is contributing more or they are just so much alike, or it's just my inadequate monitoring/shot ears. Don't know.

Nice work bud! That's avery nice looking face plate.  I like the layout very much. Is that a par metal case?

RE: differences, I think you may be able to hear slight differences between opamps, but they will be subtle, unless you change to a totally different opamp(like a 990) which takes a different input trafo, but then you're talking 2 changes to the circuit.

You can also try a servo in one channel, to get rid of the output cap, things like that.

What are your thoughts on the Ge opamp?

cheers!

The case is from modushop and the front panel from grandmasteraudio, he also did the layout.

Yes, I don't hear much difference between opamps, but they're there if for some source there actually is a big difference or if someone with golden ears can say which one he prefers. The ge is no exception, I don't hear a very different frequency response, any bass shifts or specific distortion products with it that aren't there with the other opamps. Still, someone might find the differences worthwhile.

Hey guys, is there a datasheet for the altran outputs from the group buy?
I got some extra quads C-4391 altrans which I want to try on some JLM Baby animals.

Mac

I was looking for this the other day... 

here you go:

Attachments

• C-4391.pdf
    53 KB · Views: 63
so cooool "view" baadcode
the pots are
1 for input level
1 for output level?

peace

baadc0de said:
Thar she blows
Front panel courtesy of grand master audio, power supply by ppa.

one of the last 4 channels (or opamps) has a fault somewhere as a regulator shuts off with them in circuit, so I'm running only the first four for now. Opamps are:

1-2 germanium by ppa
3-4 "enhanced" 2520 version by ppa
5-6 gar1731
7-8 gar2520

yep, first is the input gain (as normal) the other a t-attenuator from hairball, usually used at the input of 1176. It works as an output trim, yes

soooo close, just one last part to acquire.  and with that...

does anyone else in the US still need pots?  i got a quote from omeg but i'd like to get the price down if possible.  i'm just going with 10k's on the M1's for the record, can't find a small enough diameter shorting rotary to easily do my 8/1u cram.  everybody's options seem to be non-shorting  :mad:.  i'm also thinking the lug route is a better plan than pcb pin since the mounted depth ends up a bit shallow compared to the switches.  email me rather than posting if you do so we can keep this thread clean.

coooooool
the trs input on the front is a "DI" input?

peace

baadc0de said:
yep, first is the input gain (as normal) the other a t-attenuator from hairball, usually used at the input of 1176. It works as an output trim, yes

r2d2 said:
coooooool
the trs input on the front is a "DI" input?

peace

baadc0de said:

Yes, it's a DI done as per suggestions made by mitsos - a switching jack is used, so that the passive input section is disengaged when a guitar cable is inserted into the jack and the opamp's input is taken from the jack instead. It works really well :) I feel there are more changes in the tone from opamp to opamp with DI instruments.

Just to give credit where it's due, the switching jack DI was Nielsk's idea.  It's not a "new" idea I guess, but it is simple and I think it's quite neat. And your comment that tone changes with each opamp makes total sense of course.

Hope you're enjoying your 8 pack baadcode!

Oh yes! I just recorded some keeper tracks with them and APP-E opamps. Love it! Thanks for the excellent project :)

Though if I had to do 8 more, I would skip the daughterboard thing. Also, I'm kind of bummed I didn't take 2 more to make 990 preamps with. But no biggie, I have a JLM kit now for that purpose.

hi all!

I´m a bit unclear about the aux output. what is it designed for? whats the different specs for it?
can I use it as a secondary output,  like going into a compressor and still be able to record the clean signal from the main output at the same time?
And is it possible to use the aux output as a second output (using eds 2503 output transformer) and get the input for the vu meter from there aswell?
or is there another point where I could grab the signal for the vu?

thank you so much for your help!

mrcase said:
hi all!

I´m a bit unclear about the aux output. what is it designed for? whats the different specs for it?
can I use it as a secondary output,  like going into a compressor and still be able to record the clean signal from the main output at the same time?
And is it possible to use the aux output as a second output (using eds 2503 output transformer) and get the input for the vu meter from there aswell?
or is there another point where I could grab the signal for the vu?

thank you so much for your help!

I think it was intended on being used for VU metering.

Back