Need advice for improving isolation in miking a string bass live on stage. Jazz mostly

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@k brown. The ATM 35. I grabbed it. Looks pretty good and listed for a lot more.
For some reason your message didn't show up here. More flexible than another big mic.

Thanks,
MrM
I was gonna post a link to one on eBay for $50, but was pretty beat up.

I'd seriously look into getting a hypercard capsule for it, too.

I was gonna post a link to one on eBay for $50, but was pretty beat up.

I'd seriously look into getting a hypercard capsule for it, too.
Seller said tested, works great. Looks not too important as long as I can deal with the long cord. I'll figure it out. If not, bad seller review.

I think I got an email of your post before you deleted it.

Suggestions for hyper card?

I saw a MXL R144 open box on Ebay. I know they're cheap but many decent reviews. I know it's not a RCA 77 but for under a bill, not bad but then I saw the ATM.

Any opinions on the MXL R144? What scares me is the fragility with phantom pwr.
It's the connection pop that breaks the ribbon, right?

Seller said tested, works great. Looks not too important as long as I can deal with the long cord. I'll figure it out. If not, bad seller review.

I think I got an email of your post before you deleted it.

Suggestions for hyper card?

I saw a MXL R144 open box on Ebay. I know they're cheap but many decent reviews. I know it's not a RCA 77 but for under a bill, not bad but then I saw the ATM.

Any opinions on the MXL R144? What scares me is the fragility with phantom pwr.
It's the connection pop that breaks the ribbon, right?
No, I meant the hypercard capsule for the ATM35.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1853257823...Ddg5IhpbyMUkk/qAKBYhVSnA==|tkp:Bk9SR5qOkLnuYQ
You can also get on eBay replacement foam for the ATM35; one in the listing photo looks in rather poor shape. I just replaced the foam on mine.

Last edited:
HC capsule is more than the mic. I'll see how this works first. Thanks for the tip. The hypercard lit doesn't list the ATM35. Do you know that it fits? I take it you have one?
Yes, I have an ATM35; it's one of many mics AT has made over the years that use the same capsules. Hanging choir mics, goosenecks, even many models of their boundary mics have those capsules inside.

The different elements were originally called AT853_; now they are UE-_. Their external shape is a bit different, but they have the same threads. I have a bunch of different models from the AT853 line, the two UE-O omni caps that I have fit them perfectly.

AT renamed the AT853 line U853 when they added extra RF filtering to the mic bodies. Because the bodies changed shape, the ATM350 has a different shaped foam; if you get replacement foam, be sure it is for the ATM35 and not the ATM350.

The AT853 hanging choir mics are exactly the same as the ATM35; the only difference is, in the ATM35 the mic head is inside the foam piece, and it is supplied with a power module that has very different circuitry that handles higher SPL, and has a different HP filter. Slip the mic head out of the foam, and you're holding an AT853 choir mic (without it's wire suspension thingy).

Attachments

• 853.png
    853.png
    77.4 KB · Views: 0
  • atm350.png
    atm350.png
    49.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
This band got a nice sound ,

You can just about see the mic ,wedged under the bridge pointing up .
Looks a like a Beyer M69 or M88 or possible one of the EV RE series , hard to tell .

The running joke about double bass players back in the day was they needed a Volvo 240 estate to carry their instrument around ,

Many live bands on my Pickathon festival stage used upright basses..some jazz some rockabilly some western swing...the clip on condensers were good sounding but quite prone to feedback...most common were 57 wrapped in foam stuffed between the tail pice &the body. One surprising rig used an AKG D1000 (normally a totally worthless mic)...but used like the 57 above it was great....have fun

This band got a nice sound ,

You can just about see the mic ,wedged under the bridge pointing up .
Looks a like a Beyer M69 or M88 or possible one of the EV RE series , hard to tell .

The running joke about double bass players back in the day was they needed a Volvo 240 estate to carry their instrument around ,

Nice. It's no joke. I have a Toyota Highlander. I've always had vans, Hatchbacks, station wagons and SUVs.

The bassist gets a good sound AND I notice the drum chair is empty, there is a lot of room around the bass and this music is not nearly as active as USA bebop. Easy to mix this. Put an Elvin Jones type on the tubs and it's whole different story! A lot of boom - smash!

Last edited:
Many live bands on my Pickathon festival stage used upright basses..some jazz some rockabilly some western swing...the clip on condensers were good sounding but quite prone to feedback...most common were 57 wrapped in foam stuffed between the tail pice &the body. One surprising rig used an AKG D1000 (normally a totally worthless mic)...but used like the 57 above it was great....have fun
Been there, done that. Adding the weight of a mic and foam changes the feel of the bass, for better or worse.
The issue is keeping as much of the rest of the band out of my mic.
Gracias!

Yes, I have an ATM35; it's one of many mics AT has made over the years that use the same capsules. Hanging choir mics, goosenecks, even many models of their boundary mics have those capsules inside.

The different elements were originally called AT853_; now they are UE-_. Their external shape is a bit different, but they have the same threads. I have a bunch of different models from the AT853 line, the two UE-O omni caps that I have fit them perfectly.

AT renamed the AT853 line U853 when they added extra RF filtering to the mic bodies. Because the bodies changed shape, the ATM350 has a different shaped foam; if you get replacement foam, be sure it is for the ATM35 and not the ATM350.

The AT853 hanging choir mics are exactly the same as the ATM35; the only difference is, in the ATM35 the mic head is inside the foam piece, and it is supplied with a power module that has very different circuitry that handles higher SPL, and has a different HP filter. Slip the mic head out of the foam, and you're holding an AT853 choir mic (without it's wire suspension thingy).
Apparently the ATM 35 sold for $50 BC (before covid) which is what I got it for + $18 ship + tax. I should get mine next week. It gives me a lot of placement options.
Again, thanks.

These are electret? $4? or $9 on ebay. If this is as hip as you say it is how could I go wrong?
If you feel like building something yourself, this capsule (not only for the money) is a good start. I have had very good experiences with it. I would be interested to know what you think of it in your application?

I had read it and then looked at ribbon mic schematics. Apparently many of the transformers have one leg grounded which is asking for a problem. Since the mic case is a shield and everything in it low Z, if the output winding floats then there should be no DC circuit through the xfmer. Have I got that right? I saw some PP amp circuits on google, too, which I assume would save the ribbon.

If you feel like building something yourself, this capsule (not only for the money) is a good start. I have had very good experiences with it. I would be interested to know what you think of it in your application?
If I go that route I certainly will post about it. A lot cheaper than $599. But I assume McBride never paid for that. For now I ordered a used ATM 35 clip on cardioid and will see where that takes me.

So grateful for all the support.

One advantage of it, is it's a bit light at the bottom, which will help with proximity effect in this application.

Back