Neumann U47FET Clone: D-U47 FET Microphone Project PCB Build thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cinemag is great but many folks here raved about Moby’s trafos so I followed ans am using them in my 67 and 49 pairs. They are absolutely delicious, though unlike others here, I haven’t A/B’d. I guess, in summary, Moby has access to some materials that more accurately replicate vintage German delights. Maybe @Moby can chime in?
Very cool. Thank you for the insight. I’m a little less concerned with the 47fet’s I’m about to build as they’ll mostly be utility mics, and much more excited about what parts to choose for the u47 tube and m49 I’m about to build, so thanks for the good word and I’ll look further into Moby’s stuff. Maybe I’ll order some tx’s from him for those since the builds are a month or so off! Still waiting on my 47 tube body from Studio939… 🤘

Cinemag is great, and so is Moby.

Cinemag has a long track record of making audio transformers in a fairly broad sense—they make great product for a wide range of equipment.

Moby seems to have a bit more of a focus on vintage mic transformers, and seems to have a real passion for reproducing them exactly. I can’t say enough nice things about the V2545s he made for me; they’re really fantastic.

In a 47FET you probably won’t go too far wrong either way

Cinemag is great but many folks here raved about Moby’s trafos so I followed ans am using them in my 67 and 49 pairs. They are absolutely delicious, though unlike others here, I haven’t A/B’d. I guess, in summary, Moby has access to some materials that more accurately replicate vintage German delights. Maybe @Moby can chime in?
Hey, thanks for such a nice words. I never compared any of my transformers with the other "modern" ones. Just with the vintage, because I tried to create the direct replacement parts. And yes, I worked a lot on matching the laminations magnetics properties and finding the best alloy. Hunderds of hours spent on trimming the final heat treatment . I really believe that sound is in the details!

I have a lot of respect for cinemag. How many companies as big as that do you know which have their presidents answering the phone and taking orders? On top of that they will literally sell you single transformers, though this is doubtless annoying and unnecessary for them. Moby is great. Obviously it is more accurate than Cinemag. He is also a stand-up businessman.

Can anyone advise how I am to connect this transformer? Thank you so much for helping

Attachments

• 34378C5F-4BD5-47AF-BD6A-D342CAAC2770.jpeg
    34378C5F-4BD5-47AF-BD6A-D342CAAC2770.jpeg
    259.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 58D441F4-0B63-442F-96E0-451B816C96F7.jpeg
    58D441F4-0B63-442F-96E0-451B816C96F7.jpeg
    232.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 17BC6897-A777-4810-B293-252B719808F4.jpeg
    17BC6897-A777-4810-B293-252B719808F4.jpeg
    166.2 KB · Views: 1
Hey guys! I have an issue. When I connect the xlr to the mic. The voltage starts to Fluctuate between 48 bolts and down to around 20. There’s a loud hum and then it goes away. The harm in voltage cycles about every three seconds. I’ve changed out the fet a couple of times. Any thoughts? I cannot read voltages on resistors because of the power fluctuation. I have tried three different mic pres. 48 volts are in the xlr cable before I connect it. BTW other mics are working on that same cable

ok i imagine that in fact i have to use the jumpers only if i use switches ??
Just curious why you wouldn’t want to use switches? As in, specifically, no pad? The pad is a must have on this mic in my humble opinion… Especially if you have a hot pre, but it also gives you some peace of mind if you decide to stick it in front of a loud kick drum, for example. (Which is also one of its best use cases…) Some clones like the Heiserman even have 2 pads, -6db and -10db, and they’re additive so if you use them both together you get -16db. It’s useful… Sometimes you need it to keep the mic from distorting.

Just curious why you wouldn’t want to use switches? As in, specifically, no pad? The pad is a must have on this mic in my humble opinion… Especially if you have a hot pre, but it also gives you some peace of mind if you decide to stick it in front of a loud kick drum, for example. (Which is also one of its best use cases…) Some clones like the Heiserman even have 2 pads, -6db and -10db, and they’re additive so if you use them both together you get -16db. It’s useful… Sometimes you need it to keep the mic from distorting.
Because i dont have a lot of room in the body i use now , i would have to put them on the plate next to the capsule , i dont like that idea too much . what switch model or brand would You suggest ?? (for pad and low cut ) thanks a lot

I just finished a second U47FET. Originally I built one with the AMI T47, and Beesneez K47 capsule, but I didn't love how the powdercoating and a couple other things turned out. So I swapped the capsule with a generic one, and built a new mic with the Cinemag transformer. I have a recording of the original with the Beesneez capsule, and I'll compare that to the new mic, and compare it to the old mic with the generic capsule. I'm curious how different things will sound.

Here's the new one:

View attachment 85105

It sounds great, exceptionally low noise too.

Thanks,
Hello , i see on your fotos that You use 2 jumpers ( S1a and S1b ),i try to find out the configurations for it , could You help me ?

The answer you're looking for is in the Neumann schematic:View attachment 115121

If you look close at the PCB, you'll also see the bottom position says "pad on" on the silkscreen.
Yes but i m confused because i see fotos with jumpers linking the 3 points on s1a and s1b , also my knowledge is very small ... thanks a lot , SO by schematics i guess S1A is 20db pad and S1b is for low cut ?
ignore the ugly transformer board... :)
Hello , do You have the reference or a link for the little double switch ( pad and low cut ?)

Yes but i m confused because i see fotos with jumpers linking the 3 points on s1a and s1b , also my knowledge is very small ... thanks a lot , SO by schematics i guess S1A is 20db pad and S1b is for low cut ?

Hello , do You have the reference or a link for the little double switch ( pad and low cut ?)
No, Switch 1 has two poles (A and B) for a -10db cut. Switch 2 is low cut. Look closer at the schematic and you will see distinct references to S1 and S2 in separate (but not far) locations.

No, Switch 1 has two poles (A and B) for a -10db cut. Switch 2 is low cut. Look closer at the schematic and you will see distinct references to S1 and S2 in separate (but not far) locations.
Yes thanks a lot i finally found out by looking closer and reading again all pages of this forum , i did before but pretty longtime ago . Now my task is to fid out the correspondance of the colour code for the UTM 657 fet UTM0547f – UTM Industry. and soon i finish this mic i hppe

Latest posts

Back