Neumann U47FET Clone: D-U47 FET Microphone Project PCB Build thread

Help Support GroupDIY:

camshash

What M7 capsule? A real Neumann one, with PVC that has been self-destructing for 60 years? A reskinned one? Reskinned by who? A Sigfried Thiersch Blue Line M7 PVC (I own 2) or his Mylar one? Or a Gefell from the mid 90's (I own 1)--which Klaus Heyne strongly approved of in that era? I built a FET47 specifically for kick drum and used a mylar capsule because, although I like the sound of PVC--ESPECIALLY from that era of Gefell, it seemed like mylar would be more resilient/trouble-free in the long run.
I see, looks like a I got a lot of research to do. Thanks for the insight

Delta Sigma

Hey guys, does anyone have any sound samples of how the 47FET from vintagemicrophonepcbkit.com sounds? How does their D7 capsule compare to an actual M7 capsule? Would I get similar results using micparts.com RK47 capsule?

Also, is it the capsule or the circuit that causes a microphone to be super sensitive and cause overshoot distortion? I want to use it as a Kick out mic so it must be able to handle high SPL

Any insight is appreciated, thanks!

I used a Maiku K47 in my build. Sounds great. In other builds I have compared a Maiku K47 to a Beesneez M7 and K7 (K47). I preferred the Beesneez both times. I haven't heard Dany's D7 but people rave about it. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the RK47.

For use as a kick mic, make sure you install the pad switch. If you search this thread, someone posted the part number that fits Dany's PCB.

JMPGuitars

I just finished a second U47FET. Originally I built one with the AMI T47, and Beesneez K47 capsule, but I didn't love how the powdercoating and a couple other things turned out. So I swapped the capsule with a generic one, and built a new mic with the Cinemag transformer. I have a recording of the original with the Beesneez capsule, and I'll compare that to the new mic, and compare it to the old mic with the generic capsule. I'm curious how different things will sound.

Here's the new one:

_JMP2726.png

It sounds great, exceptionally low noise too.

Thanks,
Josh

camshash

I just finished a second U47FET. Originally I built one with the AMI T47, and Beesneez K47 capsule, but I didn't love how the powdercoating and a couple other things turned out. So I swapped the capsule with a generic one, and built a new mic with the Cinemag transformer. I have a recording of the original with the Beesneez capsule, and I'll compare that to the new mic, and compare it to the old mic with the generic capsule. I'm curious how different things will sound.

Here's the new one:

View attachment 85105

It sounds great, exceptionally low noise too.

Thanks,
Josh
Would love to hear the recordings, what sound source are you primarily using it for? What capsule did you swap into the new one?

JMPGuitars

Would love to hear the recordings, what sound source are you primarily using it for? What capsule did you swap into the new one?
I might do a proper comparison video or something of the clips, I dunno yet. It'll be a while before I have time.

The new one has the Beesneez K47. The old one now has the popular budget (I think Chinese?) capsule with the blue on the outside of the capsule plates.

I mostly do voiceovers myself, but I'm going to experiment with singers and instruments at some point. I'm also going to compare with a U47-EF800 mic.

camshash

Is anyone aware of a ring/swivel mount that will screw onto the GT-2B body? I want to use a ring mount as its less bulky than the supplied shockmount but I cannot find a 'standard' sized one.
Thanks