Neumann Vintage U87 Clone : Build Thread.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ah, perfect ! So my mic works !! Regarding latest posts, i lowered the drain voltage (about 10.7). I do not have any oscilloscope..

Hi,
I'm new here, and i'm very interrested by this thread. I'm sorry but I have no more time to read the 138 pages, I approximately read the 10 first and last pages. I don't found the link or the process to buy the required PCB's. If someone could help me I would be grateful !
Many thanks for this great thread

J-C

Hi and thank you for answer. I dont say i NEVER read the 138 pages of the thread, but it will be very long. As i know it's very long to receive all necessary parts, i prefer going directly to the right information.
I'm very sorry but the forum is working very bad with my google chrome, and got lost more than once by clicking on all the links that point to other threads.
Sorry, I really did not see the link you gave me

J-C

Hey JC,
Sorry that it seems harsh.
All information you found on the first site.
I also recommend to visit chungers site http://store.studio939.com for everything else like body and transformers.
The parts you found on the first site with the Mouser BOM, there you have everything except the styroflex condenser. These you can buy at vintagemicrophone pcb there is also a build demonstration.
I hope you soldered some cables or maybe some guitar pedals. Cause without experience it could be a financial grave

Finished my build today (few minor tweaks are still to be done) with the Heisermann capsule and the Sowter transformer. The initial test revealed the sound as I expected it  ;D Really smooth and vintage sounding.
Thanks a lot to everybody for making this possible!

A few things I noticed though: my drain voltage was rather low when biased for symmetric clipping (< 9 Volts). Is this normal?
Also the phase of the output is reversed (I noticed via direct comparison with another mic). Apparently, I got the secondary wiring of the output transformer wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_0298.jpeg
    IMG_0298.jpeg
    182.8 KB · Views: 82
Neutrino said:
Finished my build today (few minor tweaks are still to be done) with the Heisermann capsule and the Sowter transformer. The initial test revealed the sound as I expected it  ;D Really smooth and vintage sounding.
Thanks a lot to everybody for making this possible!

A few things I noticed though: my drain voltage was rather low when biased for symmetric clipping (< 9 Volts). Is this normal?
Also the phase of the output is reversed (I noticed via direct comparison with another mic). Apparently, I got the secondary wiring of the output transformer wrong.

Hi, Neutrino, I live in France, and I also want to put a sowter transfo on my future U87 clone.
Did you buy the 1303 size E /style F with M3 threads ?
Can you tell me what's your body, and how you have fixed the transfo ? can you post closest pictures ?
Thank you for your help, Best regards,

J-C

Hi,
yes it is The 1303 trafo. For the body I used the SYT-5 from chunger and attached the trafo with a small U-bracket with threads on both  legs. I made it from stainless Steel and screwed it to the rails of the mic body. I can post some detailed pictures later this week.

Thank you for your help Neutrino, I also asked to studio 939 if the Sowter Transfo fits into their HT-11A transformer bell housing, I don't have yet an answer. Otherwise  would do like you.

Regards,

J-C

Hi J-C,

in the attached picture you can see how I fixed the transformer. The screw through the rail goes into the thread of the U-bracket. Which capsule are you going to use?

Attachments

• Sowter_attachement.jpeg
    Sowter_attachement.jpeg
    74.1 KB · Views: 79
Neutrino said:
Hi J-C,

in the attached picture you can see how I fixed the transformer. The screw through the rail goes into the thread of the U-bracket. Which capsule are you going to use?

Thank you very much for your help Neutrino, I have not yet made my choice for the capsule. Probably the K87, or the Peluso If I find a little more money  :p

J-C

Just wanted to thank all you guys for the invaluable info in this thread. I'm really noob at this and this is the second project I've built after a kit from microphone-parts.com. I had no experience with electronics whatsoever and have literally soldered maybe 50 joints before this, never used a multimeter and had no understanding of the terminology. Thanks to you, I have managed to populate the PCB's, bias the JFET, matched the resistors and am measuring the correct voltages across the board! Just waiting for the body, capsule and transformer! I've learned so much doing this build. I'm going to go for the SYS-5, T13 and P-K87i. I'll post some pics when done. Thanks for the help!  ;D

Attachments

• IMG_3288.JPG
    IMG_3288.JPG
    320.3 KB · Views: 56
Back