Neumann Vintage U87 Clone : Build Thread.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got an issue with my completed U87 clone. The volume is so low it is unusable. It's got a Peluso capsule and a T13 transformer. I was pretty meticulous with the build, but I am not being successful at troubleshooting the problem. Any of you guys want to give it a shot? I can ship you the mic and maybe $50? I'm at my wits end, and I really don't want to turn this thing into an expensive brick.

Yeah, that was a long shot.

I was just editing my earlier post to add that the vintage U87 is not a "hot" microphone. On the contrary.
But something does seem wrong in your case.

ln76d said:
Did you set bias corretly?

Yes, I believe I did. It's been a while since I built the mic - it's been stored/unused for over a year. If I remember correctly, I did get the right values on my meter following Chunger's guide. To be honest, I've been building gear for over ten years (back to the old Gyraf days), but I am by no means an electronics engineer. I've been pretty "paint-by-numbers" with everything. The few projects that didn't work properly, I've sold as parts here on the Black Market. I don't want to abandon this one, though.

Don't gave up!  ;)

Measure first voltage in the circuit and report.

Attachments

• U87-voltage.png
    U87-voltage.png
    112.4 KB · Views: 69
Mrosso said:
I've got an issue with my completed U87 clone. The volume is so low it is unusable. It's got a Peluso capsule and a T13 transformer. I was pretty meticulous with the build, but I am not being successful at troubleshooting the problem. Any of you guys want to give it a shot? I can ship you the mic and maybe $50? I'm at my wits end, and I really don't want to turn this thing into an expensive brick.

Have a digital DMM by any chance, to make some voltage tests?  No polarizing voltage or improper voltage on the FET, the output level will be low.  Check your wiring first...

ln76d said:
Don't gave up!  ;)

Measure first voltage in the circuit and report.

Thanks. I believe I measured these correctly. Here is what I got with my DMM
TJTmBrb.png

Attachments

• U87-voltage in Blue.png
    U87-voltage in Blue.png
    130.9 KB · Views: 11
Ok, except one looks good.
Disconnect Gate of the FET and measure voltage on the floating Gate node.
If shows nothing - then change voltage range on multimeter.
We will find the "bug"  soon ;)

I had an idea I wanted to check with you guys. There was some confusion on my side about how to wire the Peluso capsule. Here is a diagram of my wiring. Does this look right? Could this be the problem? Your help is much appreciated. Thanks

Zq2MCKV.png

It seems that you have two connections coming from the rear backplate (RBK).
But I think you need one from "rear backplate" and one from the "front backplate"... So move the FBK screw to the other backplate.

Murdock said:
It seems that you have two connections coming from the rear backplate (RBK).
But I think you need one from "rear backplate" and one from the "front backplate"... So move the FBK screw to the other backplate.

Thank you! The capsule connectivity is still a bit confusing. Is this the correct wiring?
kQtt8uG.png

No,
you have two backplates, one for the front capsules and one for the rear capsule.
You just grounded the rear capsule.
Let the RBK as it is and take the FBK screw in one hole directly behind your front plate.

Back