New Chinese U87Ai (NOT branded Neumann! NOT a counterfeit, so we can talk about it)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneRoomStudio

GDIY Supporter
I recently bought a Chinese U87Ai clone for a U67 project and it just arrived, so I wanted to do a quick show-and-tell. This microphone is not branded 'Neumann,' so it's technically not a counterfeit (very technically - more on that later). I don't support counterfeiting, but I DO support access to accurate mechanicals for U87 and U67 DIY projects!

So it comes in a laminated cardboard box that looks pretty much exactly like a Neumann retail box, but it DOES NOT say Neumann anywhere on it or have any logos on it. When you open the box, you get a nice looking shock mount, a wooden box with the mic in it, and (this is the one part that I am not a fan of) a small bag with a badge that does say Neumann and stickers that says "Made in Germany" and Neumann. Basically, they leave it up to you to create the counterfeit instead of doing it themselves, haha. I will not be doing that. Anyway...moving on. The microphone itself has two different brands on it, but neither of them say Neumann (whoever came up with "Neunomand" and "Niesenxin" was trying too hard).

IMG_2271.jpeg

This is the newer/nicer "Circuit Diagram 06" version:
IMG_2273.jpegIMG_2272.jpeg

This mic has functional switches and a proper headbasket:
IMG_2274.jpeg

The capsule looks OK. Not amazing, but honestly, it sounds pretty good.
IMG_2275.jpegIMG_2276.jpeg

While I bought this for a U67 project, if I were in the market for an inexpensive U87, I would buy this over a Warm WA87 R2. It's cheaper and sounds better to me.

Let me know if any of you have any questions.

and (this is the one part that I am not a fan of) a small bag with a badge that does say Neumann and stickers that says "Made in Germany" and Neumann. Basically, they leave it up to you to create the counterfeit instead of doing it themselves, haha.
(y):LOL: definitely not a counterfeit that you are advertising!

I recently bought a Chinese U87Ai clone for a U67 project and it just arrived, so I wanted to do a quick show-and-tell. This microphone is not branded 'Neumann,' so it's technically not a counterfeit (very technically - more on that later). I don't support counterfeiting, but I DO support access to accurate mechanicals for U87 and U67 DIY projects!

So it comes in a laminated cardboard box that looks pretty much exactly like a Neumann retail box, but it DOES NOT say Neumann anywhere on it or have any logos on it. When you open the box, you get a nice looking shock mount, a wooden box with the mic in it, and (this is the one part that I am not a fan of) a small bag with a badge that does say Neumann and stickers that says "Made in Germany" and Neumann. Basically, they leave it up to you to create the counterfeit instead of doing it themselves, haha. I will not be doing that. Anyway...moving on. The microphone itself has two different brands on it, but neither of them say Neumann (whoever came up with "Neunomand" and "Niesenxin" was trying too hard).

View attachment 138870

This is the newer/nicer "Circuit Diagram 06" version:
View attachment 138872View attachment 138871

This mic has functional switches and a proper headbasket:
View attachment 138873

The capsule looks OK. Not amazing, but honestly, it sounds pretty good.
View attachment 138874View attachment 138875

While I bought this for a U67 project, if I were in the market for an inexpensive U87, I would buy this over a Warm WA87 R2. It's cheaper and sounds better to me.

Let me know if any of you have any questions.
Which Chinese clone is it? Purchased where?

Which Chinese clone is it? Purchased where?
It's the "U87Ai Pro" from this seller: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256807511400214.html

(y):LOL: definitely not a counterfeit that you are advertising!
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but just to be clear, this is not a counterfeit anymore (a good made to pass as an authentic original), since someone buying one of these would in no way think they were buying an authentic Neumann, but it is a 'knockoff' (a good made to resemble the original, but not fool anyone into thinking it's original).

These are now more akin to "homage watches" than they are to a Rolex 'super clone.' You could argue that it's still a 'trade dress violation,' but then you'd have to take aim at everyone from Behringer, to Warm Audio, Heisenberg, and FLEA, etc. If people want a Neumann, they should absolutely buy a real one from a reputable dealer, but if they want something that looks and feels like a Neumann (but they know it's not one), this is an option.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but just to be clear, this is not a counterfeit anymore (a good made to pass as an authentic original), since someone buying one of these would in no way think they were buying an authentic Neumann, but it is a 'knockoff' (a good made to resemble the original, but not fool anyone into thinking it's original).

These are now more akin to "homage watches" than they are to a Rolex 'super clone.' You could argue that it's still a 'trade dress violation,' but then you'd have to take aim at everyone from Behringer, to Warm Audio, Heisenberg, and FLEA, etc. If people want a Neumann, they should absolutely buy a real one from a reputable dealer, but if they want something that looks and feels like a Neumann (but they know it's not one), this is an option.
😁(y)

Back