Optical Comp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello guys. OK - no more possible shocks. Everything's wired up permanently. Tried it out with my P-Bass through an Acoustic360 clone and it beefed up quite nicely. I'm going to a friend's place this weekend; he plays drums. I'm hoping to get some sounds with this item so I persuade/discourage others to build or not to build. Here are some photos for now. Notice I still haven't bought the Edcors - got to get them this week. Thanks to everyone here for the continuing lessons & practical building advice. Thanks to analag for sharing this design.
-- Jesus

Excellent
icon_wink.gif

analag

Thanks for the kind words, my friends. I called and ordered a couple transformers this morning, as well as some newer tubes, so I'll have some more to stuff in there. Not that I'm short on space or anything. This has been an excellent primer to NYDave's one-bottle, or Rafa's tube preamp. Hadn't done any tubing for awhile, until this project. :grin:

the laser beams shooting out of her (his) eyes are sort of disconcerting.

I agree... I took the picture when I was working on the project - must have been the tube glow in his eyes. :wink:

Sverige - What did you use for a power supply? That's the last thing I have to decide on before I start building mine.

Thanks!

[quote author="skipwave"]Sverige - What did you use for a power supply? That's the last thing I have to decide on before I start building mine.

Thanks![/quote]

I hijacked a power transformer from an old Wollensak recorder. It had HV, as well as 6V and 12V AC taps. Dropped the voltage a bit with a couple resistors/caps and then I found an old 4HY choke that I threw in at the end. So, the heaters are AC. I haven't heard any noticable hum so far. An easy option might be the (regulated) PSU section from the G9 preamp. I may do that if I build another. I had a chance to run some drums and vocals thru it at a friend's house this weekend. He loved it and wants me to build him an army of them :green: Good luck with your build!
-- Jesus

[quote author="sverige_cruz"] I had a chance to run some drums and vocals thru it at a friend's house this weekend. He loved it and wants me to build him an army of them :green: Good luck with your build!
-- Jesus[/quote]

The G9 PSU could work, but I normally go fully discrete with my regulators. It can also source way more current. Heater voltage don't have to be regulated in fact I find that to be a waste of time, all you need are two big electros and a voltage setting resistor.

analag

Yeah, I'm not into the idea of the 783 reg. I've killed to many IC regs. I would much prefer discrete. Recommendations?

http://www.welbornelabs.com/ps3.pdf (maybe?)

That's OK, but I have better and simplicity is pretty much identical. I can PM you if you like.

analag

Please do. Sorry for the digression, but a simple pass transistor plan would be ideal. I have a few MPSA06 and TIP31C around, if I could use one of those it would be beautiful, but if MOSFET is the way that's fine.

Haven't been around much lately, but I see progress. :thumb: I'm building this beast this summer, in STEREO. Eagerly waiting 'till I get there.. too much to do! :shock:

Be careful, one lives in my buss insert. Can't seem to do without it. It gives a lot of predictability to the VU meter on my mixing desk.

analag

hey 'Lag, Does your final version use your Mosfet CCR setup?

I need to start figuring out everything so I can start to build this beast before your other design is finished.. :green:

[quote author="Svart"]hey 'Lag, Does your final version use your Mosfet CCR setup?

I need to start figuring out everything so I can start to build this beast before your other design is finished.. :green:[/quote]

One uses an HIP5600 high voltage regulator, unfortunately it is obsolete but I still have a few, the other uses a discrete regulator with a differential error amp. My newest regulator design is based on a CCS loaded cascode error amp. Total ripple control.

Baltimore...I will sent it to you, if you provide an email address.

analag

I don't know if anyone's interested but I have an mp3 sample of a drum kit room mic that I ran through my finished build of this compressor. (Courtesy of a friend up north.) It 'might' give you an idea of what you can expect from this design, if you are wondering if it's worth it to you to build it. I don't have a way to host the sound clip, so if anyone want's to donate that task, please PM me. It's 2.9MB, 3:07 in length, and is comprised of 1 dry and 4 compressed cuts. I cut/pasted the clips into one file, so I wouldn't have to be guessing which one was what.

Also, I wasn't sure if I should have posted this in the Lab area, but I didn't want to create confusion with a parallel topic.

Late,
Jesus

Back