PRR-176 Vari-Mu Rev 3 PCB Group Buy(CLOSED)! & CLX-VU Circuit Boards!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just ordered one (176 pcb) though the shop, so hopefully the stock status was correct! ;)

Looks like an interesting build!

Kaz

I directly contacted Abe just a few days ago and he quickly returned with an answer.... he said the new fab house is taking longer than expected but not to worry they shouldn't be too much longer at all.... I'm looking forward to this build enough to be a lil extra patient.

Team,

can we have some a/bs with this thing in and out of the chain with matched volumes?

What does it sound like. I don't think I've seen a project before with such little talk about said project's sound/behaviour.

I want to build this thing but really need to know what it sounds like.

Many thanks in advance

muffy1975 said:
Team,

can we have some a/bs with this thing in and out of the chain with matched volumes?

What does it sound like. I don't think I've seen a project before with such little talk about said project's sound/behaviour.

I want to build this thing but really need to know what it sounds like.

Many thanks in advance

it can vary quite a bit, with all the different transformer options, op amp options, and depending on the tube you put in. this piece will be very much experimental  and vary much your "own compressor" their are no 2 same PRR-176's on GDIY ;)

Hi,
Yes, it depends greatly...It is probably my favorite compressor so far...just cause its definitely a sound I've heard before...very reminiscent of the '60s...really depends on what you throw at it though! It is not a subtle creature....well it can be I guess ;)
I'll work on getting you some A/Bs my studio is in the middle of getting wired up....just moved it (well 3 months in now) to a new space.

BUT, will have BOM and SCHEMOs up soon :)

Rev 3 upgrades/changes:

1)RFI protection on inputs: yes! general housekeeping, needed this stuff.

2)NE5532 input and output chip: More chance for people to insert favorite chip opamp here, and cheaper than THAT/Burr-Brown inputs/outputs

3)Added Buffers to input stage and between the output interstage TX and the output opamp and sidechain: Help with not loading down of the secondary of the interstage transformer

4)Flipped the 2520 footprint so it is oriented the correct way:probably drove some people nuts!

5)Still have option if people use input transformer and output transformer to have all discrete opamps in the signal path: for the "purists" :) aka those who have the budget.

6) fixed one of the Edcor transformer footprints for inter-stage transformers: the pin spacing was incorrect

7)Have the heaters on their own tap of the power transformer: less loading of the "+" rail

8) General improved layout, controls in front; i/o on back.

9) Changed heater connectivity to OFF board wiring. Heaters are still DC, so we don't have to worry about noise. But even a thin wire is better than a wide PCB trace, keeps increase the efficiency of the heater supply.

Hopefully its a great build for everyone!

Also will be including the free API 2520 bc550/bc560 base opamp PCBs...Should be a tasty flavor to add to this or other projects!

More to come.
Thanks!

abechap024 said:
Hi,
Yes, it depends greatly...It is probably my favorite compressor so far...just cause its definitely a sound I've heard before...very reminiscent of the '60s...really depends on what you throw at it though! It is not a subtle creature....well it can be I guess ;)
I'll work on getting you some A/Bs my studio is in the middle of getting wired up....just moved it (well 3 months in now) to a new space.

BUT, will have BOM and SCHEMOs up soon :)

Rev 3 upgrades/changes:

1)RFI protection on inputs: yes! general housekeeping, needed this stuff.

2)NE5532 input and output chip: More chance for people to insert favorite chip opamp here, and cheaper than THAT/Burr-Brown inputs/outputs

3)Added Buffers to input stage and between the output interstage TX and the output opamp and sidechain: Help with not loading down of the secondary of the interstage transformer

4)Flipped the 2520 footprint so it is oriented the correct way:probably drove some people nuts!

5)Still have option if people use input transformer and output transformer to have all discrete opamps in the signal path: for the "purists" :) aka those who have the budget.

6) fixed one of the Edcor transformer footprints for inter-stage transformers: the pin spacing was incorrect

7)Have the heaters on their own tap of the power transformer: less loading of the "+" rail

8) General improved layout, controls in front; i/o on back.

9) Changed heater connectivity to OFF board wiring. Heaters are still DC, so we don't have to worry about noise. But even a thin wire is better than a wide PCB trace, keeps increase the efficiency of the heater supply.

Hopefully its a great build for everyone!

Also will be including the free API 2520 bc550/bc560 base opamp PCBs...Should be a tasty flavor to add to this or other projects!

More to come.
Thanks!

sooo stoked  ;D ;D ;D ;D so does that mean 4 api pcb's???? thats awesome!! liking the sound of the improvements, may need to order a second if this one turns out as awesome as i think it will

Thanks for the update, Abe. Appreciate the thought you've put into making it even better. Really looking forward to the build. Cheers.

Ralph

hi Abe
I want buy  (Version 3)  2 x 176 pcb set...
Are available?
total cost with shipping to Italy?
THANKS!!!

They are here!! :)

Finally!

Thanks for the orders and general awesomeness of everyone involved in this project. Wouldn't of even gotten off the ground without your help. So thank you!!

Will be shipping orders out all this week :)

Thanks!
Abe

abechap024 said:
They are here!! :)

Finally!

Thanks for the orders and general awesomeness of everyone involved in this project. Wouldn't of even gotten off the ground without your help. So thank you!!

Will be shipping orders out all this week :)

Thanks!
Abe

Oh god..... SO STOKED!!!

YEAH!!!!!WOOO!!!! :p
Any chance of a REV3 BOM and schema this week also?  :D

I know… Give me an inch...

YEAH! Excellent news. Really looking forward to that one! As a newbie (one successful Calrec EQ build) it'll be a challenge, but one that I relish.

/G

Latest posts

Back