R.I.P. Al Schmitt

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
< During an astonishingly long career, Schmitt has won 23 Grammy Awards, making him the most successful engineer/mixer in Grammy history.>

I read where he used fader rides while tracking instead of a compressor on vocals. Wow.

he did a project on recording a big band.
Such an any opener. It was all mic selection to preamp to recorder with the exception of using a compressor on the bass where it barely did anything, like 1dB or less gain reduction. Everything else was just mics, in the room  going to outboard preamps to tape. it sounded so good.

The old timers used to brag about what they didn’t do. Now it’s more fashionable to brag about what you did.

pucho812 said:
he did a project on recording a big band.
Such an any opener. It was all mic selection to preamp to recorder with the exception of using a compressor on the bass where it barely did anything, like 1dB or less gain reduction. Everything else was just mics, in the room  going to outboard preamps to tape. it sounded so good.

Coincidentally I´m listening to exactly this record while reading this thread. It´s Chris Walden Bigband/Full-On.

gyraf said:
91 !!?!  :eek: yeah, that's a good run

I'd honestly have estimated him to be the 70'es max when I talked to him at last NAMM..

Me too, I was shocked when I found out that he was 91.

Would have never guessed that he was 91 either, that's a good run for sure! 23 Grammys, what an inspiration and a legend, R.I.P.

Steve Durr turned me onto a phenomenally truthful bit of wisdom—when an old man dies, a library is burned. Al was a library that we were lucky to have had for as long as we did.

Back