Racking Amek Einstein - Project COMPLETED!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didierterrific said:
The toroid is a Talema TRT30218 : 2x18v 30VA

I think that gives you around 830mA per rail, I think that should be more than plenty for 2 channel strips plus 2 stereo balancing boards.

But if you have a bigger transformer try it out, it's the troubleshooting stage so have to keep eliminating possibilities.

When I did my build it worked flawlessly first time and completely silent

Didierterrific said:
for all the XLR PIN 1 ?

Well shields in balanced lines are an extension of the case and not 0V reference.

some good reads explaning the PIN1 problem:

https://www.ranecommercial.com/legacy/note151.html

https://www.ranecommercial.com/legacy/note165.html

Didierterrific said:
the symetrizer module is this one :
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/preamp-module/module-unbalanced-to-balanced-symetrizer-ne5532-btl-stereo-p-12296.html

Do you have the schematic for that module?
I would like to analyze how the grounding is done in that one

Whoops said:
I have only these two picks

Attachments

• module-unbalanced-to-balanced-symetrizer-ne5532-btl-stereo top.jpg
    module-unbalanced-to-balanced-symetrizer-ne5532-btl-stereo top.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 7
Whoops said:

Attachments

• module-unbalanced-to-balanced-symetrizer-ne5532-btl-stereo bottom.jpg
    module-unbalanced-to-balanced-symetrizer-ne5532-btl-stereo bottom.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 4
Hi Whoops,
I tryed the cap and the resistor, connect one XLR PIN 1 to the case.
Same thing.

For try, I disconnect the symetrizer module, I lost 10db but there is no more buzz.

Maybe the problem is the symetrizer module...

Didierterrific said:
Hi Whoops,
I tryed the cap and the resistor, connect one XLR PIN 1 to the case.
Same thing.

For try, I disconnect the symetrizer module, I lost 10db but there is no more buzz.

Maybe the problem is the symetrizer module...

Yes, could be in the grounding of the symetrizer module making a ground loop with the wiring from the channel strip, because the symetrizer has it's own PSU, thats why I wanted to see the schematic to understand better how it's done there and check if it would interfere with the rest of your wiring.

When I did this project I used the SSL9K balancing boards, they're some really simple pcbs and circuit, each pcb is for 2 channels, and uses a DRV134 or THAT Chip for the balancing, pretty simple and efficient.
I might still have some of these boards to spare if you want to try out, otherwise it will be possible to buy them here in the forum from some members, Gustav (present pcbgrinder) sold a lot of those back in the day

Whoops said:
Yes, could be in the grounding of the symetrizer module making a ground loop with the wiring from the channel strip, because the symetrizer has it's own PSU, thats why I wanted to see the schematic to understand better how it's done there and check if it would interfere with the rest of your wiring.

When I did this project I used the SSL9K balancing boards, they're some really simple pcbs and circuit, each pcb is for 2 channels, and uses a DRV134 or THAT Chip for the balancing, pretty simple and efficient.
I might still have some of these boards to spare if you want to try out, otherwise it will be possible to buy them here in the forum from some members, Gustav (present pcbgrinder) sold a lot of those back in the day

Yes I'd like to try your board. How can we do ?

I ask to Gustav few weeks ago, but he no longer sells these boards.

Thx Whoops

Didierterrific said:
Yes I'd like to try your board. How can we do ?

I ask to Gustav few weeks ago, but he no longer sells these boards.

Thx Whoops

When I go back to the workshop I will check to see if I can find them.
If not just ask in Black Market, there should be a lot of them in drawers of members here

Hi Whoops,

I started from zero with another channel strip, PSU, symetrizer, case etc.
A non-racked channel is completely silent. Once installed in the rack it becomes noisy ...
So !
after a ton of tests in all directions, I get a good compromise, not perfect but good by disconnecting pin 1 from all the outputs and by connecting the 0v of one of the channels to the ground of the most distant Symetrizer.
the farthest point was the least noisy.

As shown in the schema attached.

Does that make sens for you ?

Thx

Didier

Attachments

• Connexions rack 2.pdf
    31.2 KB · Views: 8
Didierterrific said:
Does that make sens for you ?

If it works and is noiseless fine, maybe it works for you.

Personally to make sense for me, I would have to see the schematic of the balancing module.
I don't do grounds that way.
XLR's PIN1 only connect to chassis, 0V and Chassis only connect at 1 point though a resistor and cap (but must connect at one point), I don't mix 0V reference (also called audio ground) with chassis connections

In your last layout I really don't get why symetrizer module 1 Center tap input (drawn has Ground|) is connected to the PSU 0V.
That's a ground loop right there

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 15.08.38.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 15.08.38.png
    140.1 KB · Views: 9
Whoops said:
In your last layout I really don't get why symetrizer module 1 Center tap input (drawn has Ground|) is connected to the PSU 0V.
That's a ground loop right there
Y es I agree, but this way there is no more buzz...

Whoops said:
If it works and is noiseless fine, maybe it works for you.

Personally to make sense for me, I would have to see the schematic of the balancing module.
I don't do grounds that way.
XLR's PIN1 only connect to chassis, 0V and Chassis only connect at 1 point though a resistor and cap (but must connect at one point), I don't mix 0V reference (also called audio ground) with chassis connections
0V and Chassis only connect at 1 point though a resistor and cap : You talk about the  Toroid 0v ?
I don't mix 0V reference (also called audio ground) with chassis connections : Wich 0v You talk about ?
Sorry for my questions...

Didierterrific said:
0V and Chassis only connect at 1 point though a resistor and cap : You talk about the  Toroid 0v ?
I don't mix 0V reference (also called audio ground) with chassis connections : Wich 0v You talk about ?
Sorry for my questions...

There's no Toroid 0V, I think you mean the Center Tap.

You should read the Rane links I provided, then it would be more clear

Latest posts

Back