rainton's P2P LA2A chassis "original style" discussion thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hymentoptera said:
Just as a refresher, and so that I know what to ask for, what are my adapter plate and transformer options?

I probably can't afford all original transformers, at least not any time soon, so I'll likely be using optional replacement parts.

If someone could list the obvious or popular options, and which adapter plates are needed, I could do some quick research and find out which plates are needed.

Also, rainton, can you list all adapters plates are being offered? For inexperienced people like me? :)

For audio transformers Sowter and Cinemag are the ones I've heard most of. I believe you could always search 'transformer' inside the big LA2 thread.

weiss said:
Original LA2A uses the UTC HA100X (or A10) input and A24 output transformers. They do appear on eBay sometimes, but can be rather expensive, however, there are equivalents available from Sowter and others.
The original Triad R-4A power trafo can be found as well occasionally and at a reasonable price, but the Hammond 369JX is a fine replacement and features universal primaries.

replacement for input: http://www.sowter.co.uk/specs/1009.htm
replacement for output: http://www.sowter.co.uk/specs/1010.htm

Weiss is right :)

Some LA2As used the UTC HA-100x on input and others used UTC A-10, but the vintage LA2A's with the original UTC HA-100x
are the most revered. The reissue uses a Magnetek replica of the HA-100x, which is not the same as the vintage one (see CJs thread about it)

Output was always UTC A-24.

The UTC A-10 is the same size and mounting dimensions as the A-24, but the HA-100x is bigger than the A-10 and so is the cutout for it.

My chassis is designed for the HA-100x on input and A-24 on output.
So you'll need adapter plates for all other transformer models.

BUT those adapter plates are made to order that means you just need to let me know what transformer models you want to use and their cutout dimensions if you have them and I'll have them custom made for you :)
I can even add a blank adapter panel if you want and you can drill your own holes in it...

On choices of transformers I have to 2nd what Unit7 wrote already - there's plenty of info on suitable transformers in the LA2A thread.
I think the most popular replacements (not vintage ones that is) are the Sowters I guess.
I built several LA2As already with Sowters and vintage UTCs and even though the Sowters do sound superb, my favorite unit is the one with UTC HA-100x and A24 - that's probably why I designed the chassis for these trannys ;)

The mounting holes for the power transformer are designed for the Hammond 369JX which offers universal primaries and exactly the right secondaries for use in an LA2A :)

P.S.: If you go with the Sowters, make sure to choose the 1009 input tranny with the "threaded grommet" option and the 1290 output tranny - those are the ones suitable for panel mounting. You could also use the 1010 that Weiss mentioned, but it is actually designed for use INSIDE the chassis or pcb mounting.

styleje.jpg

Wow, great info, guys!

So, If I understand this correctly, no adapter plate is required for the power transformer, but I'll need a plate for the input transformer and another for the output. That's 2 plates per chassis? I'm not forgetting anything am I?

I'm thinking the price of the Sowters is very attractive. I would imagine most of us are going with the Sowters? I'd love to hear some more opinions before I commit later this week.

Finally, do I understand correctly that the plates will be the same price whether they're blank or they're drilled for particular transformer, right? Sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something important. Before last week I've never looked seriously into building an LA2A.

By the way, Mouser has 25 x Hammond 369JX on order and they're expecting them first week of July!

hymentoptera said:
Wow, great info, guys!

So, If I understand this correctly, no adapter plate is required for the power transformer, but I'll need a plate for the input transformer and another for the output. That's 2 plates per chassis? I'm not forgetting anything am I?

Yes you'll need two adapter plates per chassis.

hymentoptera said:
Finally, do I understand correctly that the plates will be the same price whether they're blank or they're drilled for particular transformer, right?

Well yes. Every adapter plate will have the 4 screw holes to mount it to the chassis pre-drilled. (See the pic I posted on page 1)
So basically I use the 4 holes in the chassis that would hold the UTC transformer to mount the adapter plate.

And then depending on which transformer you use there will be 1 - 5 extra holes. Or no extra hole if you'll use the blank one.
Anyway the most expensive part is the plate itself. The number of holes doesn't really matter that much - so we'll keep it simple and they all cost the same ;)

hope this helps!
Martin

hymentoptera said:
I'd love to hear some more opinions before I commit later this week.

The choice of xformers, T4B cell, tubes and the big cap between V2 and T2 is a source for endless discussions and even heated arguments. Before building my unit a year ago I researched a LOT and frankly don't know if I got any wiser.

Re audio xformers I got the advice that the Sowter is very close to the original, but perhaps a tiny bit more modern sounding... What does that mean and how would that affect my work, I mean really? I have no idea.. Anyway, that seemed good enough for me so I went for the Sowters.
Re T4B cells, I then heard that the Drip T4B (slow version) was a bit more swampy/spongy (in a good way) than the Kenetek. Kenetek a bit more grabby. I've got a couple of ADL 1500s here which uses ADLs own T4Bs which I feel is quite grabby in a way I like, so I went for the Kenetek despite the recommendation to choose the Drip.
Finally re tubes for the input 12AX7 I tried like five brands, including expensive NOS T-funks and ended up preferring the almost as expensive Mullard because it was the most mellow.

Now, when I'm looking at building a 2nd unit I thought it would be interesting, as part of the hobby and to check if I can hear what everybody's raving about, to try old UTC xformers and the Drip T4B. I'm really curious, but doubt I'll be able to hear any significant difference. But finding good UTCs can be hard these days, so if I can't find good ones I'll most probably go for Sowter again. My DIY  LA2 sounds sweet and holds up great against my compressor arsenal (Retro STA/176, Thermionic C Phoenix, ADL, Fearn, Locomotive, AnalogueTube etc etc)

Unit7 said:
hymentoptera said:
I'd love to hear some more opinions before I commit later this week.

WORD!  ;D

The choice of xformers, T4B cell, tubes and the big cap between V2 and T2 is a source for endless discussions and even heated arguments. Before building my unit a year ago I researched a LOT and frankly don't know if I got any wiser.

Re audio xformers I got the advice that the Sowter is very close to the original, but perhaps a tiny bit more modern sounding... What does that mean and how would that affect my work, I mean really? I have no idea.. Anyway, that seemed good enough for me so I went for the Sowters.
Re T4B cells, I then heard that the Drip T4B (slow version) was a bit more swampy/spongy (in a good way) than the Kenetek. Kenetek a bit more grabby. I've got a couple of ADL 1500s here which uses ADLs own T4Bs which I feel is quite grabby in a way I like, so I went for the Kenetek despite the recommendation to choose the Drip.
Finally re tubes for the input 12AX7 I tried like five brands, including expensive NOS T-funks and ended up preferring the almost as expensive Mullard because it was the most mellow.

Now, when I'm looking at building a 2nd unit I thought it would be interesting, as part of the hobby and to check if I can hear what everybody's raving about, to try old UTC xformers and the Drip T4B. I'm really curious, but doubt I'll be able to hear any significant difference. But finding good UTCs can be hard these days, so if I can't find good ones I'll most probably go for Sowter again. My DIY  LA2 sounds sweet and holds up great against my compressor arsenal (Retro STA/176, Thermionic C Phoenix, ADL, Fearn, Locomotive, AnalogueTube etc etc)

Regarding the meters:

We have 18 units in stock and we will use the following discounts 1 to 9 units $145.00 and 10 to 24  $130.50 FOB Lancaster, CA, USA, Plus all duties and taxes

we now have following members:

hymentoptera 1x
Le Roux 1x
weiss 1x
Floti 1x
nickhepfer 1x
Paul 1x
rainton 2x

so if we find three more we only have to pay $130.50 ;-)

I received my SIFAM meter from Instrument Meter Specialties.  Part number AL39WF.  It has the Teletronix logo on the face.  So much about worrying if the chassis has a logo on it or not.

It included the correct bezel.  It's a fine piece of precision instrument.

I talked a friend out of a Magnatek HA-100x, he had it in his spare parts box for Atleast a decade.  I had an A-24 in my spares box and my Igs T4Bx is on the UPS truck.  I still need to find a power transformer. 

Jonathan.    Quayhog53 At gmail

Wow. This is all great news. I'm stoked! Still a little starstruck that this is happening. I wouldn't have guessed a few years ago that I'd have my own LA2A, let alone be building it myself.

I'm possibly in for a second meter depending on when this happens. It would need time to save up first, but that price is pretty hard to pass up.

Quayhog, check Mouser for the PT. One of the first links if you google "Hammond 369JX". They're on backorder until next month, 25 units expected. $70.63 for 1, $65.92 for 2.

weiss said:
so if we find three more we only have to pay $130.50 ;-)

Great!!
So I just talked to a friend who also wants a chassis, and he also wants a meter. So I can confirm I'll take 2 then :)

BTW: THE FEELER WILL CLOSE TOMORROW AT 10PM CET. So if you still want to join DO IT NOW  ;)

Most of you who participate have paid their share already.
To proceed as fast as possible it would be great if all missing payments were made before wednesday.

I will meet the CAD designer tomorrow night and if we have all funds together we will place the order Wednesday morning...

Really happy that this project found so many followers.

Also, as mentioned before I'm already working on the Pultec chassis and I want to order a prototype when we place the LA2A chassis order. Then when I have it, I will build the EQP1-A as authentic as possible (got most original parts already) and when I'm done and ready I'll post here for those who want a true to the original Pultec chassis :)

Hey folks. I have some news for you ;)

The meter group buy will be closed on June 16th (8pm GMT+1). I will then calculate the shipping costs for each of us, wait until I received the money and then place the order (there's no limit or minimum order).

I don't want to make any money out of this, just the money for the meters, shipping cost and import taxes/custom fees  + shipping the meters to martin divided by number of participants. Martin will then include the meters to your cases.

Shipping cost from the U.S. will be something about 35$ in total, as long as we don't exceed 1.5kg.

finally confirmed:

hymentoptera 2x
Le Roux 1x
weiss 1x
Floti 1x
nickhepfer 2x
Paul 1x
rainton 2x
Friedrich K.  2x
kvintus 1x

So we have 13 orders now :)

Expect this to be your personal cost:
ca. 115€ (meter) + about 5€ (total shipping) + 35€ (taxes/import charges) = about 155€/meter :)

I will tell you the exact amount when i get an inquiry from IMS ;)

best
Ansgar

Quayhog said:
What was the final count for the chassis?
I have my meter, it's a quality product. 
I had to pay sales tax sine I live in California.

If counted correctly we have 25.
Still waiting on payment for a few chassis, but I think we can go in production really soon! :)

weiss said:
Hey folks. I have some news for you ;)

The meter group buy will be closed on June 16th (8pm GMT+1). I will then calculate the shipping costs for each of us, wait until I received the money and then place the order (there's no limit or minimum order).

I don't want to make any money out of this, just the money for the meters, shipping cost and import taxes/custom fees  + shipping the meters to martin divided by number of participants. Martin will then include the meters to your cases.

Shipping cost from the U.S. will be something about 35$ in total, as long as we don't exceed 1.5kg.

currently confirmed:

hymentoptera 1x (or 2?)
Le Roux 1x
weiss 1x
Floti 1x
nickhepfer 1x
Paul 1x
rainton 2x
Friedrich K.  2x

So we have 10 orders now :)

Expect this to be your personal cost:
ca. 115€ (meter) + about 4€ (shipping to EU) + 1€ (shipping to Martin) = about 120€/meter :)

I will tell you the exact amount when i get an inquiry from IMS ;)

best
Ansgar

Hey mate, hope you are fine.

Just wanna let you know that I'm in for 2 meters ;)

Cheers!

Ok since we almost got all funds together, I made this list to reflect who wants which adapters,
could you please go through and check if I got it right with all of you?

Quayhog : 1 blank adapter panel IN
Potato Cakes: 1x Sowter IN, 1x Sowter OUT
Floti: 1x Sowter IN, 1x Sowter OUT
Nickhepfer: 2x A10, 2x Sowter
Craig: 2x A10
Weiss: 1x Sowter IN (not threaded grommet version)
Juan Carlos: 1x Sowter IN, 1x Sowter OUT
Samuji: NO ADAPTERS
Remsouille: NO ADAPTERS
Unit 7: NO ADAPTERS
Le Roux: NO ADAPTERS
Fishdrop: NO ADAPTERS
Donnie Darko: NO ADAPTERS
kvintus: 1x A10
hymentoptera: 2x Sowter IN, 2x Sowter OUT
lavachol: NO ADAPTERS
lolo-m: 2x Sowter IN, 2x Sowter OUT
Jmcc: 2x Sowter IN, 2x Sowter OUT

Ok let me know If there's something wrong ;)
Martin

Latest posts

Back