Small Coil Winder Project

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey what is the situation of the Hat? I saw the schematic. It´s someone working on it? I can probably do something with it.

I was holding off , sending it to Volker, until I figured out a way to ID the axes, so the chips could know which socket they are plugged into. The PTPIC code would then know which axis it was driving, thus avoiding the need to program different chips for each axis.

I worked out a scheme, using resisters on the DIR pin (read by the PIC's A-D converter), but have not had time to test it yet (one 10k pulling up to Vcc one 33-100k pulling down to ground - both would be over ridden by the PICs output)

I don't mind who does the layout. I believe Volker offered out of the goodness of his heart , rather than any need he had for a winder, so I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you did it instead :)

Bill

ok I have the schematic in easyEDA and I have some questions:
- Are we ok with SMD for the pic and resistors? they need to be pre programmed or can be programed in the board?
- Would be good to have a part number as reference for the level converter.
- The hat is for Rpi 3?

there still lot to do but here is what I have at the moment.

Attachments

• PCB_PCB_coil_winder_hat_2021-11-09 (3).png
    PCB_PCB_coil_winder_hat_2021-11-09 (3).png
    26.4 KB · Views: 40
PiCs really need to be 8pin dil sockets . Makes it more flexible . They could be programmed insitu , but I can't be doing with it.

The resistors can be smd , but make them big ones so us elderly have some hope of soldering them.

The level fonverter is a pimoroni or adafruit part (i think) it's a 12pin 0.4" dil device

Pi3, yes, but i can't see why it would not fit any of the pi range.

Ok I did the changes, I end up making everything TH. Would be good if someone can print the pdf and put the parts over it to confirm the footprints.
Maybe I can still add a ground plane.
Would be good to confirm the decoupling cap positions.

Attachments

• PCB_PCB_coil_winder_hat_2021-11-10.png
    PCB_PCB_coil_winder_hat_2021-11-10.png
    36.4 KB · Views: 30
  • PCB_PCB_coil_winder_hat_2021-11-10 (2).pdf
    81.2 KB · Views: 12
Changelog:

- Added Resistors for future chip selection.
- Fix the orientation of the level converter.
- ground plane added.
- general moving around of parts and tracks.

lets see if needs any other change.

Attachments

• PCB_PCB_coil_winder_hat_2021-11-14.png
    PCB_PCB_coil_winder_hat_2021-11-14.png
    48.2 KB · Views: 19
  • PCB_PCB_coil_winder_hat_2021-11-14.pdf
    215.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Change log:
- Thicker tracks on most of the board
- Vias size increased
- Flip U10
- Added date

Here is the gerber and a pdf.
The project is shared here : coil_winder_hat - EasyEDA open source hardware lab
And can be opened in editor here: EasyEDA(Standard) - A Simple and Powerful Electronic Circuit Design Tool

Would be good to test it. I don´t have the time at the moment but I want to start collecting the parts for this project.

if there is any error or problem please comment it here and I will try to fix it.

Attachments

• Gerber_PCB_coil_winder_hat (1).zip
    64.9 KB · Views: 10
  • PCB_PCB_coil_winder_hat_2021-11-15.pdf
    227.1 KB · Views: 23
I saw that one of the winders have a big Nema 23 stepper. I wonder if a Nema17 would be enough for guitar amp output transformers (EI38-EI42)
What size would you recommend for the feeder? and drivers?
I was reading about Optos for Stepper motors and someone recommended the H11L1 that have 1uS rise time.

cheerz
Rafael

Nema 17 would probably be OK . My concerns are that the shaft is only 5mm and might be prone to flex and/or vibration when extended out by 80-100mm

Opto-Isolators: yes, they need to be fast types . Or maybe we can leave them out completely? - I included them initially to protect the pi from inadvertent glitches , but since the driver is actually connected to a PIC (which are pretty robust, and cheap) , they aren't absolutely necessary .

I'll be interested in building this. I know besides transformers and guitar pickups. There is also the rhodes community who regularly rewind rhodes pickups, this could come handy when you need to (re)wire 54, 73 or 88 pickups.

This is the most interesting project to appear on Gdiy for a while... and all open source, that's the spirit

Thank you DaftFader for your generosity and all people involved

I hope to see this project coming alive soon

In case you need someone for making the 3d printed parts, I can help with that

>>>I hope to see this project coming alive soon

I've sent the prototype board and some chips to 12aefel , so I hope he has time to test the board

(I'm currently laid-low by the covid booster jab effects - I think I'd rather have the bloody disease than this) .

I think all we need to build is a small stepper driver pcb (low current device) for the feeder arm, and the parts will be complete.

If you have a PC (windows , linux and, maybe, apple ?) that can run Python* , the latest software should run in a demo mode (with a few bugs just to make it interesting :) )

*Python 3.x can be download for free from here: Download Python (You may also need tkinter if it isn't includes in the python distro)

You will also need suitable serial port extensions for your OS: pySerial — pySerial 3.4 documentation

I think all we need to build is a small stepper driver pcb (low current device) for the feeder arm, and the parts will be complete.
I have seen there are loads of these off the shelf, but if we need something specific perhaps to mounts seamlessly with the rest of the parts, I am happy to design the pcb if you need help with that just let me know

There are loads of drivers on the market, unfortunately, most of them have a high minimum current .The stepper for the feeder (at least in my design) is designed for about 300ma which os in the range of the TMS driver devices used in 3d printers (So, a design based on the 2208 or 2209 seems the most suitable).

I'll have to draw something ... But don't hold your breath!

An Update from my side. Bill sent me a PCB and some pics time ago. I received today notification from customs that it arrive. I did the clearence so if everything is ok I should get them next week.
I received today some other parts for the project. I bought 2 different nema23 motors and one nema 17 for the feeder. the Nema17 provably will not fit the 3d printed parts I have. so I will have to design and print a new part for it would be good to have an option for this transformer. I received some of the parts needed for the board and the pololu2892 drivers but as with every order I forget some stuff... the dc-dc converter and the opto switch for the feeder. I ordered some optocouplers from mouser too. I will put and order for the missing part when the pcb and pics arrive.

I´m missing the screw for the feeder and adapter for the nema17 motor, the metal shafts for the feeder and the box.

I can probably work on a Driver PCB when I have all the parts here.

cheerz

Latest posts

Back