Small Coil Winder Project

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wire tensioning is another problem. Ideally the wire needs back tension, like a tape recorder, continually pulling back so varying shape of the spool doesn't let the wire go slack.

For very thin wire Jim bought a commercial job. It uses magnetic reluctance as a brake and a spring wire for back-tension.

I made a machanically braked (using a band brake) machine that seems to work ok for thicker wire (0.25+) , but lacks back-tension.

Attachments

• tensioner 3.jpg
    tensioner 3.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 2
  • tensioner 2.jpg
    tensioner 2.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 2
  • tensioner 1.jpg
    tensioner 1.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 1
  • adt coil winder.jpg
    adt coil winder.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 2
Wire tensioning is another problem. Ideally the wire needs back tension, like a tape recorder,
Indeed. the big problem is that contrary to a tape recorder, the instant speed varies extremely rapidly, oblong windings (such as gtr pickups) being the worst. The enemy is inertia. It takes a very light system to absorb these variations, while still providing enough damping. In pictures I've seen vey simple systems constituted of a pulley affixed to a piano-wire spring.
I wander if an active solution could be used, since the required function is similar to a negative resistance (the higher the speed the lower the braking force).

Yes bobbin shape is a major issue. I had an idea to modulate the speed of the winding to compensate.
You would need some kind of sensor. Either an instant-speed transducer (optical wheel) and/or a wire tension sensor. That is basically the system employed on the latest generation of tape machines, but with very different ballistics. Not a minor feat...

I have good results with simple friction tensioning - running the wire through a piece/patch/bundle of microfiber cloth, then applying mechanical pressure to the outside of this bundle to vary friction. Quite usable down to at least 0.06mm - but off course not real back tension if that is needed..

/Jakob E.

Or maybe modulate the bobbin instead of the wire? Meaning the rotor moves the bobbin relative to wire so that it minimizes rapid sheering forces. Imagine the movements required to leave the wire fixed in space. The rotor assembly would need to be some sort of compound gear I suppose. But that might be just the trick needed to neatly wind really small high inductance coils.

The emphasis on the all in my message was ironic. :cool:
That's how I took it. I should have added an emoticon, to make it clear.
Sending updates from the controller would severely limit speed
I think the ballistics of a DC motor would make the system unstable, and steppers are too slow.
and rewriting the PIC would require motivation which is severely lacking ;-)
It's often the dominant factor in DIY.

Perhaps possible by applying PID on a brushless motor, then allowing it grotesque amounts of peak-power-when-needed?

This how camera stabilizers are done, react surprisingly quickly even at heavy loads..

/Jakob E.

Have been wondering if there has been any progress about this project and if we can still expect a release at some point ?

Hi Gyraf is quite correct. Winding prototype Lustraphone bobbins with 47SWG wire required a little tension on the wire, a small piece of soft sponge applied the necessary tension, held the wire in place when the winding process was stopped to terminate the wire. A small jig to hold a folded piece of material worked wonders. I guess it would work for heavier gauges.

Cyril Jones

Tanac tensioners,
the design has been pirated ,
a small fishing rod with a roller at the top provides the back tension ,low friction guides and magnetic reluctance allows the wire to be wound under near constant tension. Servo driven is also available

Back