Soliloqueen's k87(k67) and k47 capsules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not the same backplate at all.

edit:
I ship first class mail internationally and have had few problems, shipping is only $15.
Ok now I'm confused too.
So please correct me if I'm wrong.
3U Audio makes the backplates for Maiku and Dachman DA-K47.
But your flat k47 backplate is made by the same company that makes the Dachman Series 2 K47 capsule which is not 3U?
Right?

And I read that post from you:
They're a new company who only popped up in 2018. Superb capsules. I was really intrigued by their stock capsules so reached out to them to custom build some K47s for R&D for my microphone company. I ended up only using about 20 of them so I sent the remaining 30 out to people here, some for free when I could afford it and most at or near cost. I sent one to @kingkorg and it was the most consistent QC on a K47 he'd ever tested (including boutiques and first party Neumann capsules). They use the same overstock backplates as some other small capsule factories though. Incredible assembly QC (I cannot stress this enough.) held back by backplates that unfortunately are only medium good.

On my order of 50, the rejection count was 5, and it was all cosmetic. 90% of them were within 2pf of each other front to back and 100% within 4pf. Front to back matching was better than vintage Neumann and about equivalent to current Neumann. The only issue is that they sound different because the backplate specs are off. Not bad, just not drop-in replacements for other capsules. I would say 3U capsules are better overall because they have better backplate geometry, but FZ has better QC at 2/3rds the price at volume.

The only retailer I'm aware of that stocks them is Dachman. For singles, Dachman sells them for $99 as their "Series 2" line which considering import, stock and making a living is not a horrible scam. Most parts peddlers sell much cheaper capsules for much more. I also have 6 K47s left at time of writing if you want to test one out, but they're not their catalogue capsules, they're a bit different. I did like their catalogue capsules though.
So are the flat k47 you're selling now the same as the 50 capsules you ordered from them? Are your flat k47 different from the stock they (or rather Dachman) offer with the "medium good" backplates?
You said at the end "they're not their catalogue capsules, they're a bit different.".

Ok now I'm confused too.
So please correct me if I'm wrong.
3U Audio makes the backplates for Maiku and Dachman DA-K47.
But your flat k47 backplate is made by the same company that makes the Dachman Series 2 K47 capsule which is not 3U?
Right?

And I read that post from you:

So are the flat k47 you're selling now the same as the 50 capsules you ordered from them? Are your flat k47 different from the stock they (or rather Dachman) offer with the "medium good" backplates?
You said at the end "they're not their catalogue capsules, they're a bit different.".
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.

"Medium good" here means in terms of accuracy, Not the sound quality. In this case it's arguably being "medium good" that makes them capable of being flat given the right assembly instead of having a bump in the mids like a correct k47 would have. In comparison to the k87 back plate (though, they came out with a new one recently that's improved but still not perfect) they had and the CK12, which both suck and are basically unusable. As mentioned earlier, they have tighter tolerances, different construction, capacitance and tuning than the stock capsule. These differences are not huge. The catalog capsule is already pretty excellent. I ended up giving about 15 of the 50 away for free, a few at cost and the remaining for 99 dollars, depending more or less on whether I had the money to eat that week. Not because they weren't worth more, just because I didn't really consider them a product and I wanted to get opinions from a wide range of people. I set the bar at 120 this time to see what level of interest they had because that's about what they're worth in a proper market, and I have been very much surprised by the pre-order volume for batch 2.

These capsules are a manufacturing process test, they came about from a six-way shootout between factories all skinning the same backplate to the same specifications and ended up unexpectedly good, that's the context here. I picked a backplate, a range of capacitances, a target frequency response and a style of construction and I had them all do it exactly the same way and then I evaluated all of them. Results ranged from literally terrible to mediocre except these, which were stand out.

If you're interested in the process, I can include one of the bad ones (clearly labeled) when I ship your order 😂

Last edited:
Everyone has been a novice...
SP B3 comes with similar type capsule but the circuit isn't optimal for it. MP recommends K47 type capsule:
https://microphone-parts.com/pages/studio-projects-b3-modsThe flat K47 discussed here is a very good choice for your mic though it is yours choice.
Thanks for the reply..I want what would be best for this mic so if you think the k47 is best, then I'll go for that. Thanks again..!

Most of the clones I've taken apart over the past couple years have had things wrong like incorrect through hole sizes or wonky tuning of the cavity between the plates.
What spacers do you use - all 40 microns? Aluminum (as in the original) or plastic?

What spacers do you use - all 40 microns? Aluminum (as in the original) or plastic?
Can't use aluminum because it's a k87. I experimented with quite a few spacer materials, including other forms of Mylar that are less compressible. Ended up just using regular mylar. I made sure that it compresses to the same distance under the pressure between the plates as the aluminum in the k67. I highly doubt It matters but I did it anyway just in case.

Last edited:
Well this looks amazing!!
@soliloqueen i Will for sure purchase a pair of k87 and a pair k47 original!
Do you still have some available or i need to wait for the big batch?
Keep up the good work!

I use Genelec 8341s, which are coaxial, a little weak at the low end, but they work. I have used a full range driver without a crossover before and LXminis. Compare to a reference mic as per Henry Spraggins’ work at audioimprov.com.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.

"Medium good" here means in terms of accuracy, Not the sound quality. In this case it's arguably being "medium good" that makes them capable of being flat given the right assembly instead of having a bump in the mids like a correct k47 would have. In comparison to the k87 back plate (though, they came out with a new one recently that's improved but still not perfect) they had and the CK12, which both suck and are basically unusable. As mentioned earlier, they have tighter tolerances, different construction, capacitance and tuning than the stock capsule. These differences are not huge. The catalog capsule is already pretty excellent. I ended up giving about 15 of the 50 away for free, a few at cost and the remaining for 99 dollars, depending more or less on whether I had the money to eat that week. Not because they weren't worth more, just because I didn't really consider them a product and I wanted to get opinions from a wide range of people. I set the bar at 120 this time to see what level of interest they had because that's about what they're worth in a proper market, and I have been very much surprised by the pre-order volume for batch 2.

These capsules are a manufacturing process test, they came about from a six-way shootout between factories all skinning the same backplate to the same specifications and ended up unexpectedly good, that's the context here. I picked a backplate, a range of capacitances, a target frequency response and a style of construction and I had them all do it exactly the same way and then I evaluated all of them. Results ranged from literally terrible to mediocre except these, which were stand out.

If you're interested in the process, I can include one of the bad ones (clearly labeled) when I ship your order 😂
Thanks for clearing that up!
Much appreciated!
I'll pay for the two flat ones tomorrow.

Not to bump and not sure if this is the right place to ask but is anyone with established retail experience interested in being a European retailer for these upcoming 1:1 capsules? No real plans right now just thinking because a lot of people have complained privately about shipping and customs from the US and the only current European storefront at scale is Mic and mod

yes, exactly my point, thank you so much for your help...
Maybe it would make sense to distribute your capsules in Europe through music electronics retailers like Banzai, musikding, TAD or tubetown?

They've been doing this for a long time, but they're more diversified than mic and mod, for example, which actually have a bad reputation here.

Maybe it would make sense to distribute your capsules in Europe through music electronics retailers like Banzai, musikding, TAD or tubetown?

They've been doing this for a long time, but they're more diversified than mic and mod, for example, which actually have a bad reputation here.
yeah, that was my thought too. i know m&m's reputation and would never sell to them

Back