SSL 9K & 4K (E Series) 500 / 51X NEW BOARDS Mic Pre Thread 2011

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
canidoit said:
mata_haze said:
can't wait to see the boards appearing on the WM....

I have been using the 4K for ages and love the sound of this preamp!!!

M.
How would you describe the sound Mata, is it more like a hardy preamp?

Im afraid I have never used an Hardy.
it's quite a quick preamp and very solid on the 300/400 Hz region, never muddy.
I would say it's kinda API 312 direction, but not as coloured.

Best,
Mattia.

chrispsound said:
The 12v relays that Steve @ Apex Jr. has are yellowish in color and are labeled: Aromat DS2YE-S-DC12V .  Will these work?  Does the shorter pin on the LED Indicators (48v, Pad, etc.) go on the gain pot side or on the filter pot side? My 9k pre passes audio with a sm57 hooked up.  Removed the 57 and checked the switches for LED illumination and nothing happens.  Will test for proper voltages tomorrow and report back(no time today).  ChrisP

I don't know if those relays will work, but will look into it.  For the LED's, the long lead goes toward the gain pot.  Remember that the relays and their associated LED's get power from the -15V rail, and the 48V LED is powered by the Phantom power supply.
Best,
Bruno2000

(edit for 48V)

Looks like the only difference (according to the datasheet?) between the relays you got: Aromat DS2BE-S-DC12V and the ones I have: Aromat DS2YE-S-DC12V is the color, hence the B (brown) in your part # and the Y (yellow) in my part #.  Still haven't got around to testing my LED problem but thanks for the reply B2K.  ChrisP

chrispsound said:
The 12v relays that Steve @ Apex Jr. has are yellowish in color and are labeled: Aromat DS2YE-S-DC12V .  Will these work?  Does the shorter pin on the LED Indicators (48v, Pad, etc.) go on the gain pot side or on the filter pot side? My 9k pre passes audio with a sm57 hooked up.  Removed the 57 and checked the switches for LED illumination and nothing happens.  Will test for proper voltages tomorrow and report back(no time today).  ChrisP

Chris and Bruno..

These relays will work fine ! :) :)

GARY

I had the LED's in backwards, now everything lights up nice.  I hope to put this thing through its paces soon.  Thanks again Bruno2000 and Gary.  ChrisP 

Some folks that are building these have asked about the HPF setup, so here goes.  It's the same for the 9K and 4K boards.
R226 adjusts the "knee" of the HPF.  Start with R226 fully counter clockwise, the frequency control fully clockwise, and the HPF engaged.  Then send a swept tone through the unit from 20 Hz to 5k Hz, and observe a significant "bump" in response just before it takes a dive at around 400 Hz.  Adjust R226 to eliminate this "bump" so that the frequency response is flat until the HPF takes over.
R3 adjusts the overall gain of the HPF section.  Send a 5k Hz tone through the unit.  Adjust R3 so that the output signal level is the same with the HPF in or out.
Enjoy!
Bruno2000

Waiting on a few Wimas but here is my version
of brunos VERY nice ssl9k project:

SSL9kfrontfrontW72.jpg

SSL9kbackW72.jpg

SSL9krackW72.jpg

Bruno.. you da man..

Thanks for this great project !! :) :)

GARY

Hi !

thanks for the great project. I was preparing the BOM, and was wondering if those relays from Mouser were suitable, seems like it but I guess it's always better to triple check...

http://fr.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Omron/G6A-234P-ST-US-DC12/?qs=Rh%252baoYk36r44D%252b4zwAkJTQ%3d%3d

Hi !

still on the BOM preparations. I'm stuck on the IC402 - 78L05Z. Part of the LED meter circuit, its a "Positive Voltage Regulator, TO92 package, +5V,.1 amp". Don't know if it's a discontinued part... What should I use, what part # should I look for ?

This Texas Instrument standard regulator seems suited, correct me if I'm wrong:

595-UA78L05AILP as in Mouser's catalog http://fr.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Texas-Instruments/UA78L05AILP/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtYFXwiBRPs08XOzgg7IJzG

Thanks !!!
Piotr

Search for "78L05" - this part is NOT discontinued! ;D

Generally if a search is coming up blank try removing the first or last letter or two as these can be manufacturer specific, and often there is more than one manufacturer of standard parts like these.

Just make sure you are buying "through hole" parts, not surface mount or "SMD".

Good luck!

Piotr said:
Hi !

thanks for the great project. I was preparing the BOM, and was wondering if those relays from Mouser were suitable, seems like it but I guess it's always better to triple check...

http://fr.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Omron/G6A-234P-ST-US-DC12/?qs=Rh%252baoYk36r44D%252b4zwAkJTQ%3d%3d

I believe those relays will work fine.
Best,
Bruno2000

Thanks Bruno2000 ! Congratulation on this project !!! Had a look at your Doppler Studios site, seems like an awesome space you work in !!! No wonders you know your SSL stuff !

Thanks!  I hope you enjoy the build!
Gustav just announced that the 4K boards will be available in a week or 2.  They have footprints for many of your favorite input transformers.
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=10776.2780
Best,
Bruno2000

Dumb question but anyone have the mouser number for the LEDS? I tested fitted some I have here and they are too big. What diameter should they be to fit the FPE file? I don't have FPE software loaded.

My pair are mostly done. Waiting for Mouser to restock the Wimas before I place my finishing order. Getting excited!

Thanks in advance,
John

Stagefright13 said:
Dumb question but anyone have the mouser number for the LEDS? I tested fitted some I have here and they are too big. What diameter should they be to fit the FPE file? I don't have FPE software loaded.

John

3mm leds

Mouser #s

Red      638-264-7HD
Yellow  638-264-7YD
Green    638-264-7GD

GARY

gar381 said:
Stagefright13 said:

John

3mm leds

Mouser #s

Red       638-264-7HD
Yellow   638-264-7YD
Green    638-264-7GD

GARY

Thanks Gary,
Another good source for the 3mm LED's is futurlec (if you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks)
http://www.futurlec.com/LEDGen.shtml
Best,
Bruno2000

Just got my 2 finished today !! :)
I have only had a chance to listen to LOTS
of program material (about 3 hours worth !!)
and my non musical voice into my shop 57.

Very Nice, Very clean.. Wire with GAIN !! :eek:
The hi pass works really well too.

I built 1 with a MAT 02 and the other with a LM 394
only because that is what I had sitting in my parts bins.
They seem to sound EXACTLY  the same.  I used
all NOS TI  opamps from the 80s except for the TL052.

Nice sounding fun project so far Bruno.  Thanks my friend.

GARY

Latest posts

Back