SSL 9K & 4K (E Series) 500 / 51X NEW BOARDS Mic Pre Thread 2011

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Bruno2000 for the great sounding build!

SSL-9K-1.jpg

SSL-9K2.jpg

Cant wait for the 4K.  ChrisP

kquick said:
Will the SSL9K work in a 500 rack or just a 51X?

These 9K boards will work fine in a 500 rack.  Just chop off the 2 gold fingers at the bottom on the dashed line.  They'll slide right in.
Best,
Bruno2000

chrispsound said:

SSL-9K-1.jpg

SSL-9K2.jpg

Cant wait for the 4K.  ChrisP

Wow, nice build.  Great faceplate, too!  You could pull out the TL074 if you wanted, since it's function is to drive the meter.
The 4K's should be available "soon".  I'll post a BOM for them on Monday.
Best,
Bruno2000

edit for 4K

Would you be able to share your FPD file?

Sure, no problem.  I have the .fpd file.  The scales were made for a 15mm Basic Selco Collet Knob (top) and 21mm Basic Selco Collet Knob (bottom).  Selco's website has the exact specs.  The countersinks are just a pinch too big but still look nice in a 500/51X rack ( I will someday figure out proper 500 series countersink specs but it would be nice if there was a standard.) 
Email:  chrispsound at yahoo dot com
ChrisP

bruno2000 said:
kquick said:
Will the SSL9K work in a 500 rack or just a 51X?

These 9K boards will work fine in a 500 rack.  Just chop off the 2 gold fingers at the bottom on the dashed line.  They'll slide right in.
Best,
Bruno2000

Great going to order 4 boards from Gustov now.  Thanks!

Great Job Bruno.

Hi Bruno,

Could you post schematics too ?  maybe this way we can easy change or modify without asking you.

Thanks and great design !!

Hey Everybody. I'm just starting to prepare to build a pair of these bad boys and had a desire for a more usfull/thorough/edit-able BOM, so I popped one together in a Google doc:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AnsiOMM1zmMxdDZjOFVWd2pmQktkajB5QllWWHppUGc&hl=en&authkey=CPaQv6sM

The parts in pink are those I haven't necessarily tracked down yet.

Let me know if you see any mistakes/missing parts/better choices and I'll try to keep it up-to-date. I also have a Mouser cart almost prepared with 90% of the parts. I'll share that once it's locked down.

I'm having trouble finding the 2k2 pot on Audio Maintenance. Am I missing something or is it just out of stock?

Thanks for doing that !!!

THAT 1646  Mouser http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/THAT/1646P08-U/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsX0CFs5rpLHm2GDr7RggaV
LM3915 DigiKey  http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=LM3915N-1-ND
electrochronic (member here) has MAT-02's
Audio Maintenance usually stocks both needed pots.  Maybe Colin can answer.
Apex Jr. usually has suitable relays for less $$$.
Surplus Sales of Nebraska has some suitable toggle switches, but the require a larger hole in the front panel.
There is enough room on the board for MKP caps (rather than MKS) if you want to go that route, but be careful you order the right size for the 2u2F.
Best,
Bruno2000

edited to add stuff

chrispsound said:

SSL-9K-1.jpg

SSL-9K2.jpg

Cant wait for the 4K.  ChrisP
Would it have been hard to add a clip led?

So with this version, you will be judging clipping by ear?

You're welcome and thank you sir. I updated the sheet to reflect your additions. Perhaps I should share the editing with you so that you could update if there was anything else?

Can't wait to get cracking on a pair of these. Still gotta wait awhile til my funds recoup from the all this 51x/NV73 malarky, but soon!

Brolik said:
Hey Everybody. I'm just starting to prepare to build a pair of these bad boys and had a desire for a more usfull/thorough/edit-able BOM, so I popped one together in a Google doc:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AnsiOMM1zmMxdDZjOFVWd2pmQktkajB5QllWWHppUGc&hl=en&authkey=CPaQv6sM

The parts in pink are those I haven't necessarily tracked down yet.

Let me know if you see any mistakes/missing parts/better choices and I'll try to keep it up-to-date. I also have a Mouser cart almost prepared with 90% of the parts. I'll share that once it's locked down.

I'm having trouble finding the 2k2 pot on Audio Maintenance. Am I missing something or is it just out of stock?

Colin tells me they are temporarily out of stock of the dual 2k2 r/log pots.
Best,
Bruno2000

mata_haze said:
Ehi Bruno,
how long do you think before the 500 series boards for the 4K will be available?
I can't wait..

Best,
Mattia.

The Gerbers have been submitted to Gustav, so maybe inquiries to him on his White Market thread would be helpful.  I'll post the BOM later today.
Best,
Bruno2000

bruno2000 said:
mata_haze said:
Ehi Bruno,
how long do you think before the 500 series boards for the 4K will be available?
I can't wait..

Best,
Mattia.

The Gerbers have been submitted to Gustav, so maybe inquiries to him on his White Market thread would be helpful.  I'll post the BOM later today.
Best,
Bruno2000

Thank you very much!
Mattia.

mata_haze said:
bruno2000 said:
mata_haze said:
Ehi Bruno,
I can't wait..

Best,
Mattia.

The Gerbers have been submitted to Gustav, so maybe inquiries to him on his White Market thread would be helpful.  I'll post the BOM later today.
Best,
Bruno2000

Thank you very much!
Mattia.

OK folks, here's the BOM for the 4K with some Mouser part numbers and other info.  This board has the same HPF, meter, and output as the 9K boards.
It has footprints for the Cinemag "Vintage" transformer and offerings by Jensen, OEP, Lundahl, Carnhill, and Ed Anderson's new transformer, available from Hairball.  There is provision for a Zobel network, and / or R loads / C loads at the secondary of the input transformer.

http://www.dopplerstudios.com/pictures/SSL4KBOM11.pdf

Keep an eye on Gustav's White Market thread for board availability.

Best,
Bruno2000

Latest posts

Back