SSL 9K & 4K (E Series) 500 / 51X NEW BOARDS Mic Pre Thread 2011

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks again! The only thing that I am not aware of is the coil resistance because I don't know the resistance of the relay Bruno used.
But I can have a look at yours and compare, now.

culteousness1 said:
Thanks again! The only thing that I am not aware of is the coil resistance because I don't know the resistance of the relay Bruno used.
But I can have a look at yours and compare, now.

The coil resistance of the relays I used is 370 Ohms.  Hope this helps!
Best,
Bruno2000

Hi !

I'm stuffing two boards and I'm stuck on the 100nF bypass caps (don't laugh...).

There are 25 specified on the BOM, 25 highlighted in yellow on Bruno's pdf, yet two seem missing on both documents, those by IC3, by the R3 trimmer. On Bruno's picture at the beginning of the thread there are 27 bypass caps... 

So either I'm totally stupid which is always possible at this time of night or there's a mistake somewhere and we need 27 100nF caps per build...

As usual, general good humor and understanding welcome as is an answer by the knowledgeable ones !!!

Thanks, Piotr.

Piotr said:
Hi !

I'm stuffing two boards and I'm stuck on the 100nF bypass caps (don't laugh...).

There are 25 specified on the BOM, 25 highlighted in yellow on Bruno's pdf, yet two seem missing on both documents, those by IC3, by the R3 trimmer. On Bruno's picture at the beginning of the thread there are 27 bypass caps... 

So either I'm totally stupid which is always possible at this time of night or there's a mistake somewhere and we need 27 100nF caps per build...

As usual, general good humor and understanding welcome as is an answer by the knowledgeable ones !!!

Thanks, Piotr.

Well, it looks like my computer can't count or color very well.  You are correct, it takes 27 100nF bypass caps, and you correctly spotted the ones left out of the BOM and the layout PDF.  I'll make the corrections.
Thanks!
Best,
Bruno2000

Thanks Bruno !!!

well then I'm not crazy... Great project so far, Gustav's board of your layout are first class, simple and easy to stuff. Waiting for news from AML concerning the pots, are there alternatives ???

Regards, Piotr.

Piotr said:
Thanks Bruno !!!

well then I'm not crazy... Great project so far, Gustav's board of your layout are first class, simple and easy to stuff. Waiting for news from AML concerning the pots, are there alternatives ???

Regards, Piotr.

Greetings Piotr,
Thanks for pointing out the errors.  I believe they are fixed now.
Audio Maintenance are the only folks I know of that stock these odd pots, and right now they seem to be out of the 2k2 r/log pots. I'll see if I can find out the estimated delivery.
Best,
Bruno2000

Whoops said:
When can we expect the SSL 4K?

thanks

I have built a couple of prototypes, and Gustav has the Gerbers (although I understand that he's been slammed with other work recently).  The boards will have the added footprint for the Haufe input transformers.  Should be any day now.
Best,
Bruno2000

Hi all !

Colin from AML, responded to my inquiry about the 2k2 RLog pots that they should be back in stock in about 8 weeks. Thanks to him for the update, I have then 8 weeks to come up with a funny idea for the faceplate !!!

I'm a little confused by the part number suggested for R1 & R2 in the BOM. The part calls for a 10 ohm "fusing" resistor. The part mentioned seems to be a very standard (albeit very small) 1/3rd watt 10 ohm resistor, the datasheet doesn't mention any "fusing" type quality at all. Am I missing something?

The more I learn, the more I feel like a fool.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Brolik said:
I'm a little confused by the part number suggested for R1 & R2 in the BOM. The part calls for a 10 ohm "fusing" resistor. The part mentioned seems to be a very standard (albeit very small) 1/3rd watt 10 ohm resistor, the datasheet doesn't mention any "fusing" type quality at all. Am I missing something?

The more I learn, the more I feel like a fool.

Thanks in advance for your help.

"Fusing" is probably an inappropriate word to use.  "Flameproof' would be better.  The purpose of these resistors is to "act" as a fuse if there is a catastrophic fault/failure on the board.  They will just open up without the typical embarrassing acrid smell, and most importantly, they won't damage the board.
Hope this helps!
Best,
Bruno2000

That helps immensely, thanks. On another note, I've just noticed a shortage of the 100nf bypass caps on my BOM spreadsheet. It should be 27 per channel as opposed to 24. For anyone who has ordered parts using it, I apologize. I'll learn how to count before next time. I will update the spreadsheet now.

Brolik said:
That helps immensely, thanks. On another note, I've just noticed a shortage of the 100nf bypass caps on my BOM spreadsheet. It should be 27 per channel as opposed to 24. For anyone who has ordered parts using it, I apologize. I'll learn how to count before next time. I will update the spreadsheet now.

Yes, I had to learn to count, too.  My original BOM called for 25.  The correct number IS 27.
Best,
Bruno2000

P.S.  I hear that the 4K boards will be ready soon! See Gustav's thread.

Latest posts

Back