Suggestion for a bench top magnifying lamp?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using a cheap plastic lens version of an Optivisor. It happens to have a flip down lens for additional magnification with the resultant reduced focal distance. I've been getting by with that as well as a +1.75 pair of readers. I'll see if I can find a link for those on a budget.

Edit: Carson Magnivisor, $22 atm at Lowes: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Carson-Opt...NRadq6FHO2otyE3IxEuIr-MBfxf_WALzN1SMhXjqS5fq4

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, I bought a cheap pair of LED magnifying glasses at Lidl for €10 this morning.

The whole thing is a bit plasticky and rather fragile.

The magnification is interchangeable from 1x to 3.5x, it could be a bit more but it's good for soldering and things like that. The LED is bright but unfortunately the whole apparatus gets quite heavy due to the 3x AAA batteries.

Conclusion: cheap, useful, let's see how long it lasts. In my opinion, such glasses are generally more suitable than magnifying lamps for soldering, see member @MicMaven post.

1000043281.jpg1000043282.jpg

Out of curiosity, I bought a cheap pair of LED magnifying glasses at Lidl for €10 this morning.

The whole thing is a bit plasticky and rather fragile.

The magnification is interchangeable from 1x to 3.5x, it could be a bit more but it's good for soldering and things like that. The LED is bright but unfortunately the whole apparatus gets quite heavy due to the 3x AAA batteries.

Conclusion: cheap, useful, let's see how long it lasts. In my opinion, such glasses are generally more suitable than magnifying lamps for soldering, see member @MicMaven post.

View attachment 138939View attachment 138940
I have a pair of these too, but mine has a built-in lithium battery, so not heavy, Okay for what I need, but wouldn't want to wear them all day.

I recently did a mod on a AKG p220 which uses SMDs and as most would know there not the easiest components to work on.
I tried a couple of head mounted magnifiers but they didn't work as you had to be very close to see anything and the thought of having a hot soldering iron a couple of centimeters away from the tip of my nose was bit scary.
So I returned them.
I ended up getting a goose-neck phone holder which clamped to my bench and I used the camera zoom on my phone.
Works great and I didn't end up melting the end of my nose.

I recently did a mod on a AKG p220 which uses SMDs and as most would know there not the easiest components to work on.
I tried a couple of head mounted magnifiers but they didn't work as you had to be very close to see anything and the thought of having a hot soldering iron a couple of centimeters away from the tip of my nose was bit scary.
So I returned them.
I ended up getting a goose-neck phone holder which clamped to my bench and I used the camera zoom on my phone.
Works great and I didn't end up melting the end of my nose.
Yes, that is also a solution. But I always have problems with camera systems because the hand-eye coordination requires some rethinking. It's easier with glasses. Btw, with the Parkside glasses with the 3.5x lens the focal plane is about 23cm in front of the eyes. You are quite close with your nose, that's true.🥸

Latest posts

Back