Entropy continued

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some days I hate being a homeowner....

Looking forward to pics....
1725469374359.pngHere's your pix Scott... 🤔

I just installed the replacement drain assembly. No surprises, the hardest part was removing the old one. They advised using some silicone caulk under the top drain rim and all I had handy was a several years old dried up tube. I cut it open and scraped out enough to make a seal.

I did notice a difference between the pivot rod in the new assembly and one I just replaced a couple weeks ago. The new one has an extra plastic bushing the mates with the pivot ball.

This completes my short list of plumbing repairs.

JR

They advised using some silicone caulk under the top drain rim and all I had handy was a several years old dried up tube. I cut it open and scraped out enough to make a seal.
Really??
I've always rolled a snake of plumber's putty and wrapped/stuck it under the drain (flange?)..As you tighten everything down, it oozes out the sides and you just pull it off and clean a bit. Some kits come with gaskets now but I never had luck with them....

Cool.... glad you got it working.....

Really??
I've always rolled a snake of plumber's putty and wrapped/stuck it under the drain (flange?)..As you tighten everything down, it oozes out the sides and you just pull it off and clean a bit. Some kits come with gaskets now but I never had luck with them....

Cool.... glad you got it working.....

If water leaks there where is it going to go? down into the drain?

JR

If water leaks there where is it going to go? down into the drain?
Surely you looked ? it'll leak under the sink there if water gets past... I did look at the terry love forum real quick and there does seem to be a school of thought for using silicone too... I've definitely used it in shower drains just never had issues with using putty with sink drains...sink-basket-with-silicone.jpg

I coated it with silicone caulk.... it isn't leaking.
===
I am actually wondering about all the smutz down in the overflow chamber... Black mold likes damp, dark, places. Guess what that overflow area is... a black mold recreation area? The open area down in the drain provides moisture to keep the mold happy. I also notice that the white plastic P trap is black inside.

In the lasts several decades I have never had the sink overflow. I just did it on purpose one time to confirm that it works. I need to apply some mold killer into the overflow chamber, I have some out in the laundry room.

If i was buying a new sink it would not have the overflow feature.

JR

In the lasts several decades I have never had the sink overflow. I just did it on purpose one time to confirm that it works
A couple of years ago one of my friends/clients was telling me she was downstairs and water started coming out from one of the recessed lights in the ceiling. Turns out the cleaning lady upstairs had started filling the glass vessel sink, for whatever reason, and got distracted for a really long time....
That would be the only time in my life ever hearing about where a sink overflow could have been good...
But I guess people make mistakes....

Today in response to Hurricane Francine flood watch/warning I pulled out my string trimmer to clear weeds away from my culvert rain water outlet pipe. My done right trimmer would fire but wouldn't keep running. I'd seen this before, a stuck carburetor float valve. I decided to Roadkill percussive repair it. I tapped the carb bowl with a vise grip handle and that fixed it.
===
I got to repurpose a one cup metal coffee filter that was too small for me to make coffee with. I had some smutz visible inside my one gallon gas can. I poured the gas through the metal coffee filter and captured the smutz (it looked like a couple dead mosquitos and whatever)...

JR

I'd seen this before, a stuck carburetor float valve
Embarrassed to say but I've always replaced little carbs since they're so cheap but after youtubing a little the last time I had issues with getting my mower going, it was exciting to see how useful a piece of wire brush was for cleaning out all the ports and jets.... never knew the bowl bolt was one of those areas either....

Looks like you still have power I'm guessing? Hard to tell what that storm is doing there......
I lost power sometime around 5am. I did not wake up until hours later.

Just over 2" of rain and still gusty winds. I was outside checking on fallen limbs and the wind picked up again so I moved inside, out from under all the trees. ;)

Wind advisory until 7PM but it looks like we dodged the flood advisory.

JR

PS: I bought a replacement carb for the string trimmer last time it screwed up but the percussive "roadkill" repair was faster and easier. If it keeps screwing up I will swap in the new carb that is just sitting in a box in my shop.

must be nice having that metal roof...
I'd feel safer in your home than this straw....at least we're block on the bottom....with messed up crumbly mortar joints from the incompetent contractors.....
I don't know that the metal roof adds much structural integrity, but at least the shingles won't blow off in the wind.
===
Some drama associated with the power outage. I had to reset two clocks. And my slow cooker got stupid. Apparently the MCU is always on when the cooker is plugged in. The brief power interruption apparently latched it up. Display was dark and buttons unresponsive.

The hack to reboot it that I discovered by trial and error, is to hold one of the front panel buttons depressed before plugging it in. That brought it back to life.

JR

Back