Entropy continued

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you guys ever tried a French press?
Great flavor and very full body, without bitterness, The only issue is that you do end up with a bit of sediment in the bottom of that last cup if you're not careful.

Yes, French Press is a good process, but I cannot abide the pot full of wet grounds afterward which must be flushed outside so they cannot clog the domestic plumbing. And yet, I agree with your assessment, so I adapted my process to use a paper filter in a stainless steel cup-size tea infuser allows the coffee to float freely whilst brewing, yet filter wet grounds for tossing into the trash - a best of both worlds scenario. This permits brewing a single cup, with a finer grind and easy clean up, three improvements over traditional pot-based French Press process. While I have a Bodum press, I never use it. My tea-infuser-filter method does the job with less mess. (I also brew cups of loose tea in this way.) This is easy, cheap, and really the same effect as French Press.

Coffee or tea infuser with filter in cup .jpgCoffee or tea infuser with filter in cup top .jpg

BTW, that's a NICE espresso machine, James! I'd love to wrap my taste buds around a double shot from that thing... ooh lah lah!

Thank you for the kind words. It works a treat.

Parenthetically, I learned to pull a proper shot in in Europe. I was trained and allowed to pull shots for customers at a famous restaurant in Leicester Square, London. I also took a seminar on espresso at the Twinings Tea Company flagship store 216 Strand, London (which used to sell espresso machines, although I do not believe they do now.) I received additional real world training and experience pulling shots in cafes in Paris, Rome, and Venice, so I guess I am pretty serious about it ! :)

My Gaggia machine is not too expensive, and has a commercial brew group, so the only limitation is the small boiler, but that is not a problem for me as all of my friends prefer drip, and my wife won't sip a drop of coffe in any form, so "all for one and none for all" is OK by me!

Thanks for the swell reply. James

Been there done that... with french press you can control extraction somewhat by how long you wait before hitting the plunger. Not fun to clean.
Yep, the cleanup isn't very fun at all! I assure myself it's simply "the price of doing business," as I grit my teeth whilst cleaning up the plunger assembly.

When I was a yout my mother had a vacuum pot...You put coffee grounds in the top and fill up bottom with water. Boiling the water pumps it up into the top and mixes with the coffee grounds. When removed from the heat, it cools and the vacuum created in the empty bottom sucks the coffee back down through a cloth filter. An obvious benefit of both of these is that the coffee does not get heated after the initial boil and brew.
Vacuum pots make THE best tasting coffee of any method (at least in my opinion), but they're definitely a low-speed operation. Having said that, it's the perfect coffee apparatus when you have a leisurely and unhurried day off. :cool: AAMOF, I've wanted a Cona for decades. Definitely the most elegant and beautiful way to make coffee, but I just can't bring myself to that level of financial expenditure. Sure, there are much cheaper alternatives, but nothing is as pretty as a Cona. That is, unless China has precisely cloned them like everything else, which wouldn't surprise me.

Parenthetically, I learned to pull a proper shot in in Europe. I was trained and allowed to pull shots for customers at a famous restaurant in Leicester Square, London. I also took a seminar on espresso at the Twinings Tea Company flagship store 216 Strand, London (which used to sell espresso machines, although I do not believe they do now.) I received additional real world training and experience pulling shots in cafes in Paris, Rome, and Venice, so I guess I am pretty serious about it !

Wow! I'll be at your house for a shot this afternoon... I am impressed, sir!

I once had a friend in Italy send me a few bags of espresso and a little Bialetti pot. One was what he described as the best store brand in Italy, another was a higher grade that's available in gourmet shops, and then there was The Absolute Best Stuff I've Ever Tasted. The bag was packed inside a fancy tin, and he said it was among the finest you could get. I had an espresso machine at that time, so I quickly did a test run with each. The grocery store stuff was on par with typical coffeehouse stuff here, the better grade was exquisite, and the best grade permanently rendered my taste buds snobbish, pompous and supercilious against Everything Else.

From that limited exposure to beans roasted and blended in Italy, I postulated the hypothesis that they didn't just invent it, they thoroughly mastered it. It totally ruined me, sigh...

Wow! I'll be at your house for a shot this afternoon... I am impressed, sir!

I once had a friend in Italy send me a few bags of espresso and a little Bialetti pot.

From that limited exposure to beans roasted and blended in Italy, I postulated the hypothesis that they didn't just invent it, they thoroughly mastered it. It totally ruined me, sigh...

YES - once spoiled by really good Italian beans, you are, as you say, "ruined." And hooked.

The Italians have even codified the definition and process for making "Certified Italian Espresso" (see below). I used to buy Italian beans, before they got popular and terribly expensive. Guillermo, Segafredo, Kimbo, Miscela D'oro, Cafe Vegnano, Pellini, Illy, and so forth. I especially like Guillermo, Segafredo, and Cafe Vegnana - The others are just OK, as Lavazza, Kimbo, Illy, and the others cater to a more ... um ... pedestrian crowd, producing good beans, but with less complex flavors ... um ... er ... I think.

Nowadays, I avoid all of them and roast my own blend of beans from Sumatra, Ethiopia, Guatemala, and Brazil, occasionally adding Columbian or Tanzanean Peaberry beans for variety or to stretch a batch.

I believe the most staunchly held misconception about coffee, in general, and espresso, in particular; is the myth one must burn the beans to make a strong dark cup. Starbucks perpetuates the myth by burning its beans. It is no mere coincidence market pressure from savvy consumers motivated Starbucks to produce its "Blond" line of lighter roast coffee. How one extracts the oil determines how dark and rich the coffee is - not how dark it is roasted. The best Italian espresso beans are medium to City Roast, dry, not oily, and the color of a milk chocolate bar - not dark like baking chocolate and certainly not oily, which means the roaster has already extracted some of the essential oil my espresso machine is supposed to extract.

While you CAN get a good strong cup of coffee, it does NOT make a "proper" espresso as defined by the Italian Espresso National Institute for making a "certified Italian espresso:"

7 g ± 0,5 ground coffee (14-17 g for double shot)
Exit temperature of water from unit 88°C ± 2°C
Temperature in cup 67°C ± 3°C
Entry water pressure 9 bar ± 1
Percolation time 25 ± 5 seconds
Viscosity at 45°C > 1,5 mPa s
Total fat > 2 mg/ml
Caffeine < 100 mg/cup
Volume in cup (including crema) 25 ml ± 2,5

That said, mocha pots DO make good, dark, strong coffee and I frequently use that type of coffee maker for variety. I also have several other coffee makers, including French press, Vietnamese coffee maker, percolator, and others. I also use a Turkish Ibrik/Cezve and make authentic Turkish style coffee enjoyed in Eastern Europe. A local Mediteranean grocery owner taught me how, and sells me proper coffee laced with cardamom. Of course, the curse of this method is the tremendous sludge of very finely ground coffee in the cup, and even more in the pot! Sheesh! What a mess - makes French Press seem neat and tidy!

My cezve pot.jpgTurkish coffee service SM IMG_8509.JPG

Of course, I rarely use a percolator for the very reason JR cites above - dripping coffee back into the lower boiling chamber and re-circulating it multiple times is NOT the best process, tending to over cook and scorch the product! I am with JR - burned coffee is no good.

So, I guess it is time for a night cap ... i.e., double espresso ... fortunately caffeine does nto keep me awake at night. Ahhhhh ... good coffee is very relaxing. (My young bride loves the fragarance of good coffee - but won't drink a drop of the "wretched" stuff!) Our friend Ken S keeps a bowl of roasted coffee on his kitchen table and occasionally stirs them as an ersatz air freshener. Crazy eh?

Drive on coffee mavens! Enjoy! Salute! James

Wow, I see you're a fellow coffee snob, actually, much more like a true, bona fide coffee virtuoso! Your knowledge, training and experience definitely far surpass mine!

I used to roast my own, but eventually moved away from it because of the time and attention involved. These days, I'm likin' the stuff from a local Mom and Pop roastery, although I've also recently taken a fondness for the surprisingly decent Ethiopian from Trader Joe's. It's a far cry from the utterly exquisite, downright intoxicating Yirgacheffee I used to get from that same roastery, but nonetheless quite pleasant for a grocery store coffee. You mentioned Tanzanian Peaberry, also a great African that used to be available here but is long gone these days. FWIW, the Trader Joe's Ethiopian contains lots of peaberries; not quite sure why they didn't hand-sort those out during processing and sell them as a higher priced specialty.

I agree with percolator coffee - tastes and smells like burnt rubber.

I had no idea there was an actual standardized set of parameters for a proper espresso! Although, I did learn from personal experience that rather small variations in grind, tamping and pressure will yield widely varying results. I wish I could remember the name brand of that really good Italian stuff my friend sent me, but even the cheap "everyday brand" he sent bested Lavazza.

That said, mocha pots DO make good, dark, strong coffee and I frequently use that type of coffee maker for variety.
The little Bialetti does make good tasting stuff, but I just can't live without a good crema, which it doesn't do. :(

I believe the most staunchly held misconception about coffee, in general, and espresso, in particular; is the myth one must burn the beans to make a strong dark cup. Starbucks perpetuates the myth by burning its beans.
Yep, my wife and I call it "Starburnt." I've had Starbucks maybe 3 times, and that was more than enough to figure out they're using cheap beans roasted full French to mask the defects in the origin flavors.

I used to get this knockout Costa Rican Tarrazu SHB from another local roastery, that he roasted just to the end of first crack. Being a single varietal Costa Rican, it was a little thinner in the cup than I prefer. But, it had the most exquisite, bright, vibrant, zingy acidity (I called it "dancing across the tongue" acidity!), even more than Costa Ricans typically do, with an equally fine aroma and flavor. Sadly, when those few bags were gone, he never got any more that was quite as good. The only other coffee I've had with that same quality (though not quantity) of acidity was a Peruvian, that I bought a small sample of to try. It was light across the tongue, with a soft, silky medium-light body, exquisite floral notes and a bright, citrusy finish. When I went back for more, they were sold out.

Anyway, he was leery of going darker on the roast, but at my request roasted me a pound in one of his little proof roasters until the threshold of second crack. He was right. While it was indeed fuller bodied and technically more balanced, in just those couple of minutes it lost far too much of its magic acidity and origin flavors, replacing them with generic roasty flavors. Despite the super high, diamond-hard bean density, it simply didn't hold up in the roast the way a high-grade Sulawesi or Sumatra does. Dumping and quenching at the end of first crack was spot-on perfect. Mental note to self: don't second guess or try to outsmart someone who's been roasting the best coffee in the state professionally for 30 years.

Nowadays, I avoid all of them and roast my own blend of beans from Sumatra, Ethiopia, Guatemala, and Brazil, occasionally adding Columbian or Tanzanean Peaberry beans for variety or to stretch a batch.

I tried my hand at blending for standard brewed coffee a few times, but promptly gave up. My first attempt was to blend that magic Costa Rican with a full City roasted Sumatra Mandehling. I thought, "Hey, mixing deep, smoky, dark, heavy, syrupy body with brightness, complexity and beautiful acidity will be the perfect cup, right? Wrong. It was awful, almost undrinkably awful. I learned right there that it's more of an art than a science, and a couple of further attempts were more or less equally unimpressive.

My one success was the proven recipe of Indian Mysore and Yemen Mokka, a synergistic blend with a deep complexity of intriguing, exotic flavors. Both are now pretty much unobtainable these days, and prohibitively expensive on the rare occasions I encounter them. I love good Mocha Java from Indonesia, but it's definitely not the same as dry-processed Yemen Mokka. Much like that one Ethiopian Yirgacheffee I used to get, a good Yemen Mokka will change your life.

I also have several other coffee makers, including French press, Vietnamese coffee maker, percolator, and others. I also use a Turkish Ibrik/Cezve and make authentic Turkish style coffee enjoyed in Eastern Europe. A local Mediteranean grocery owner taught me how, and sells me proper coffee laced with cardamom. Of course, the curse of this method is the tremendous sludge of very finely ground coffee in the cup, and even more in the pot! Sheesh! What a mess - makes French Press seem neat and tidy!

We used to have an international grocery store here, that I frequented for their deli gyros, hummus, feta and Turkish coffee, all of which were the best I've ever had. The owner was an Armenian guy who'd lived in Lebanon and Turkey, and I learned a great deal about food and coffee from him. Eventually, I fairly well mastered the "shaky hand" technique of dispensing from the ibrik without getting too much sediment in the cup. Until, I accidentally knocked it off the top of the fridge one day, of course landing right on the bottom corner/edge and caving it in quite badly. I threw it away and never replaced it. Haven't thought of that in a long time, but since I do always keep cardamom pods on hand for making Indian food, maybe it's time to acquire another one...

Last edited:
Here's some info about expresso from my goto source for green coffee beans. https://library.sweetmarias.com/espresso-all-things-espresso/
===
They don't sell, and I don't think I have ever seen green beans for sale that were actually grown in Italy. I expect they have regions in Italy that grow modest amounts of coffee beans but they are probably pretty expensive and consumed locally. Italian coffee roasters for export probably import green beans from Africa or South America. If you find one you like maybe try to figure out where they are importing their green beans from.
===
Starburnt..... ;) they over roast the green beans to burn-off/suppress strong flavor notes and deliver a more consistent but mediocre product.

JR

[edit- my replacement metal coffee filter just arrived, I'll give a proper test tomorrow morning but it looks good./edit]
[edit2= replacement metal filter works perfectly /edit]

Last edited:
Today's entropy episode is not a recent failure. The lever operated drain stopper in my bathroom sink broke so long ago I don't remember when, probably 3 decades ago give or take. I performed a redneck repair, I wedged a stiff plastic tube down into the drain to hold the stopper open and then forgot about it. Did I mention I'm cheap and I never need to close the drain stopper.

Yesterday I imagined what my wife (if I had one) would want me to do. I started looking into a remedy/repair.

#1 I could replace the entire sink/vanity for around $500 and up.
#2 I could replace the sink top for only $250 + $50 for a cheap faucet
#3 I could replace the pivot rod assembly for $6.99
#4 I could replace just the pivot rod for $2.69

This morning I unscrewed the old pivot rod and there was no rod remaining on it past the pivot ball. That end is what engages with the drain stopper to move it up and down.

31BMY50OoFL._SY180_.jpg

I decided to splurge and ordered door #3.

I need to mentally prepare for having a working bathroom sink drain in several days after my repair parts arrive.

JR

About 10 years ago, my heavily corroded, approximately 15 year old drain stopper assembly broke. I likewise chose #3. It only cost a few dollars, a real bargain compared to the post-repair chiropractor visit necessitated by the contortionist-like positions required to effect said repair inside the tiny vanity.

Well my new pivot rod assembly arrived today, but the repair did not work out to plan. I had to fish out the broken rod end that was still wedged down into the stopper, but even after getting it free, there is too much smutz for the stopper to rise and fall smoothly.

I have ordered a replacement drain and new stopper assembly, this should work.

JR

I have ordered a replacement drain and new stopper assembly, this should work.
good times.. sometimes buying things a la carte is tricky if not brand specific...
I like to fill the sink as far as I can and release the drain to check for any weak links when done....
Still not a fan of those gaskets they give you to set under drain inside sink in place of putty... Always felt I was doing something wrong using them.......
Thread sealant/pipe dope is good to use on threads of drain pipes if having issues...I like it better than tape....

good times..
not in my opinion
sometimes buying things ala carte is tricky if not brand specific...
it appears that these are pretty mature designs... the only thing I had to be careful about is to order the drain assembly for an "overflow" sink. Those appear to be the two dominant versions, with and w/o overflow.
I like to fill the sink as far as I can and release the drain to check for any weak links when done....
Still not a fan of those gaskets they give you to set under drain inside sink in place of putty... Always felt I was doing something wrong using them.......
Thread sealant/pipe dope is good to use on threads of drain pipes if having issues...I like it better than tape....
JR

PS: On my squirrel camera I am watching a vulture drag the carcass of an armadillo across my yard that was run over in the road in front of my house. This morning there were 6-8 big vultures picking it apart still in the road where it landed. I don't ascribe any intelligence into this vulture but he has dragged his dinner into the blind spot between two of my squirrel cameras (that I use to spot squirrels messing with my pecan trees). I doubt there is much left to eat, but I appreciate him dragging it away.

PS: On my squirrel camera I am watching a vulture drag the carcass of an armadillo across my yard that was run over in the road in front of my house. This morning there were 6-8 big vultures picking it apart still in the road where it landed.
Reminds me of when we had a big opossum just lying dead in our backyard. Not sure what happened to him. Maybe heart attack or old age ..He was big...

I was excited to see the first vulture because it's not something you usually get to sit around and watch and I thought , great, I don't have to worry about picking it up...
. That excitement turned into not so much when the others showed up. Dragging parts across the yard as they fought for them... We stayed out of the backyard for several days while they worked. They were just chilling, taking naps...Took them forever it felt like...
All that was left was like the tail with some fur on some other piece when they all retreated....
even then, 2 days later, some rogue one flew in to check it out.... Pretty wild..and gross...lol
Amazing how they can find dead stuff.

big birds...
Is it an old wives tale that they used to be as cool looking as eagles until they turned into scavengers of the dead??

I haven't told my dead vulture story lately... The old vultures are bolder than the young ones and wait until the absolute last second to fly straight up when they see a car approaching. That way they get more bites of food than the young timid ones. A few years (actually decades) ago when I was driving my 94 thunderbird (at speed) on Hwy 80. This old vulture miscalculated how much time he had to lift up and out of my path. He got up to about my windshield height and my sloped windshield launched him straight up into the air. I looked in my rear view mirror to see how long it took for him to come back down, as I recall it took several seconds.

As the old joke goes, that last thing that went through his mind was his a__hole. 🤔

JR

Super Coupe?
yup, it was pretty impressive for a heavy car. After I totaled my 93' cobra mustang into a guard rail, I opted for a heavier ride. They had the supercharger dialed in to make lots of low end torque.

A few years later I moved on to yet another mustang cobra, this time a '97 and that is still my current ride.

JR

My local plumber finally showed up to work on a list of three projects. The shower diverter valve has been waiting replacement for 2-3 years now. The hot water heater mod is almost that long. A couple years ago I hired him to remove the original sacrificial anode and he was unable. Today we finessed that by adding a T fitting to the hot water output and out-boarding the back flow preventer.

IMG_20240830_091421626.jpg
The active anode has a something like 10V 50mA power supply. It lights up the green LED indicating that it is working as designed. 👍 We checked and there is room to use about a 2' long passive sacrificial anode, but for now I'm going high technology.

I need to replace the thermal insulation but hopefully the hot water heater will now outlast me. 🤔

[edit- while no surprise I noticed after the install that the heat trap actually works. The flex hose connected to the house hot water pipes is cool, at room temperature, while the brass right angle is hot as expected. /edit]

My only remaining plumbing issue is the bathroom sink stopper. I replaced the pivot rod and that did not fix it. I have ordered a replacement drain assembly but predict that will not be an easy swap. I asked my plumber for advice and he mentioned several bad encounters he has encountered with that particular task.

JR

Last edited:
Back