That’s a weird lawsuit

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh dear.... the digital? 🤔

JR
Well, I don’t spend as much time as I used to with the mastering guys but I can’t recall the last time I heard of an album that was mastered to vinyl with the original master tapes. It’s common to put the album together via computer and then run off a lacquer master.

Well, I don’t spend as much time as I used to with the mastering guys but I can’t recall the last time I heard of an album that was mastered to vinyl with the original master tapes. It’s common to put the album together via computer and then run off a lacquer master.
One of the windmills I tilted at regularly with my old "audio mythology" magazine column was that digital audio was somehow fundamentally flawed. CDs were widely dismissed, and the phools came up with some remarkable claims, back in the 80s.
===
This lawsuit sounds like simple misrepresenting the product.

JR

There is a difference playing straight from the tapes rather than a digital transfer, (based on my gear). My ATR Ampex has a unique better sounding transient response compared to protools when mixing from the live tracked MM1200 and not from my protools rig.

There is a difference playing straight from the tapes rather than a digital transfer, (based on my gear). My ATR Ampex has a unique better sounding transient response compared to protools when mixing from the live tracked MM1200 and not from my protools rig.
No doubt. But in this day and age, I have yet to hear vinyl was made from the master tapes. Doesn’t seem to happen often if at all any more.

No doubt. But in this day and age, I have yet to hear vinyl was made from the master tapes. Doesn’t seem to happen often if at all any more.
Do master tapes even exist these days? It seems that digital recording could be released directly to the clouds?

Mastering to vinyl if anything could probably use more consideration.

JR

I'd be interested in hearing Paul's insight on what reasoning the guys had to say.....
if he can slog through the interview....I think the first 10 or 15 minutes is probably good enough. It's the first topic brought up.

So let me get this right, these guys argued that they were doing all analog masters, but somewhere in the chain they used some digital process? I watched a little of the interview but they are clowning around and wasting a lot of time for me to really want to see it all. They mention that they use some digital process at who knows how many MHz of sample rate, great, but it is still digital. I mean, if they were promising an all analog master and somehow used digital, they were lying, if not, they should clarify. Either way, I think they are screwed.

They used DSD as the digital master format. They are arguing it's better than analog. They are incapable of doing them all analog so it's not credible.

They used DSD as the digital master format. They are arguing it's better than analog. They are incapable of doing them all analog so it's not credible.
Is it?
My adventures with dsd were back in the sacd era. My recollection was that the dsd Sadie computer with Ed mitner converters sounded like the 1/2” master tape or 1/4” master tape we were feeding the machine. Can’t say it was better but there wasn’t that noticeable difference you have with pcm converters of that era.

At any rate I get the gist of the lawsuit, misrepresenting things.

Is it?
My adventures with dsd were back in the sacd era. My recollection was that the dsd Sadie computer with Ed mitner converters sounded like the 1/2” master tape or 1/4” master tape we were feeding the machine. Can’t say it was better but there wasn’t that noticeable difference you have with pcm converters of that era.

At any rate I get the gist of the lawsuit, misrepresenting things.
I spent four days cutting from DSD a few weeks ago. I’ve cut from DSD is the past too. DSD definitely has a sound. No less so than PCM. It has kind of a relaxed top end. More closely mimics tape which is probably why it was used.

When someone asks me for an all analog cut from tape that’s what they get. I don’t second guess the reasoning. That’s what they want, that’s what they get.

I spent four days cutting from DSD a few weeks ago. I’ve cut from DSD is the past too. DSD definitely has a sound. No less so than PCM. It has kind of a relaxed top end. More closely mimics tape which is probably why it was used.

When someone asks me for an all analog cut from tape that’s what they get. I don’t second guess the reasoning. That’s what they want, that’s what they get.
And that’s why your a mastering guy, to me it was the same sonic 🤠
And you are right if they ask for analog should get it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back