The Rude Tube Build / Support Thread (MAJ + PSU)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RATMNL said:
Ow nice, Thanks a bunch Kevin! I was about to ask a lot of basic question you just rendered unnecessary :D

M.

There is allot of alternatives to the edcor transformers, many from members on the whitemarket.

I am thinking about doing mine with some of the Carnhill options that Colin from Audio Maintenance stocks may be worth a try. I probably have the Edcor matching transformers lying around in my transformer storage box.

But I'd have no idea what to look for, or what would be the difference between them, or that would affect the build.

Quite new to DIY and my main goal with these was building something with tubes and not die, I haven't read in on the whole transformer situation yet.
How would that Carnhill be different to the suggested ones?

Slight to moderate change in sound for lots of additional more money than what was recommended.

For now use the Edcor transformers listed, this project is aimed at making things sound Rude... and the Edcor sets will cost you $50 for a set of WSM or $65 for WSM/XS Combo.

A good reference for information for transformer usage and why:

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/an/Audio%20Transformers%20Chapter.pdf

I plan to use some Ebay Jensen 10K:10K can style on the the inputs which can be had for a reasonable price.

And some Audio Maintenance Carnhill 10K:600 outputs also very reasonably priced, especially when international shipping is considered.

I've had a lot of success with that combo on my other tube builds.  I don't like using unshielded input traffos in a tube build.

If I can find reasonably priced ebay UTCs for the outputs I'll use them. There are some models which will work and don't cost the earth.  My premium units have been using them. I find the shielding of the A series to be quite effective.

Edcor XSM and WSM can be a little patchy in quality  ie. doa rate is quite high in my personal experience.

I have a pretty fair size pile of doas which I try to find uses for!  Those fine exposed wires are easily broken.
No more appetite for the lottery of XSM and WSM arrivals. Will all the coil sections actually work ?

[ This has not been the case for the more expensive Class X enclosed transformers, which I have quite a few of and all have been working on arrival. I very much like those. ]

As far as sound of the transformers goes, I don't think there is very much in it. Having said that, the only ones I think I could tell in a blind test would be the Edcors. They have a grainier quality, though still hi-fi, than most other types I have used. They actually sound to my ears like early solid-state amps - a little grainy and raw  :)  That can be a very useful quality at times!

I'd be hard pressed to recognise Jensens, Haufes, Cinemags, UTCs, Sowters, EAs or Carnhills.  They all sound quite clean and don't seem to add a recognisable audio signature on their own, the circuit they are 'embedded' in being more the determinant of overall sound.

Mind you, my ears have a few years on the clock :)

An exception is Mercury Magnetics tube output transformers -  they sound so much better than other guitar amp transformers I've used, I found it hard to believe! No BS.

kazper said:
http://www.jensen-transformers.com/an/Audio%20Transformers%20Chapter.pdf

Genius! This thing made more clear to me in the first couple of pages than the entire interner combined.
Thanks Man! I'll go dive into it, and for now I'll just use the Edcor's. Hmm.. I do however feel some experimenting coming up :D

I need more boards :p

Thanks for the help Kevin et al,

I will order the power trafo from Edcor as suggested.

Alexc - good to hear about the Mercury magnetics trafos, I have some sitting at home waiting to drop into a Blackface deluxe clone.

8)

I forgot to mention if you ask Edcor to shield your WSM they will, almost doubles the price but it is worth it.

I'll try a few transformers before I comit to a set.

Hey Guys,

What would be the minimum voltage rating you would recommend for all the smaller film caps on the mainboard. 60v.... 100v???

Regards,

Matt

Woot said:
Hey Guys,

What would be the minimum voltage rating you would recommend for all the smaller film caps on the mainboard. 60v.... 100v???

Regards,

Matt

From the tube data sheet it looks like  63V/100V will work fine. You will need to watch lead spacing too.

Hi Jan,
I have not soldered the heatsink to the pcb.
Fabio

jandoste said:
Hey Fabio,
Thanks for the update! Just a quick question... did you solder the heatsinks to the PCB?
Cheers,

memestudio said:
I have not finished all the rube tube, but I checked the psu with a resistor load and it works. I have about 250V on the output.
Fabio

memestudio said:
Hi Jan,
Fabio

jandoste said:
Hey Fabio,
Thanks for the update! Just a quick question... did you solder the heatsinks to the PCB?
Cheers,

memestudio said:
I have not finished all the rube tube, but I checked the psu with a resistor load and it works. I have about 250V on the output.
Fabio
Hi Fabio,
Thank's for your answer.
jandoste find his problem with the pSU few day ago :)
But thank's to answer :)

Jerome

About the PSU's C5...is really difficult for me to find a 1µF 400V condenser with a 10mm pitch!
a Wima is 22,5mm pitch...what you have used? I have some Elettrolitics Condensers...but are not the same!

drask said:
memestudio said:
Hi Jan,
Fabio

jandoste said:
Hey Fabio,
Cheers,

memestudio said:
Fabio
Hi Fabio,
Thank's for your answer.

Jerome
I've soldered/screwed both the heatsinks to the PCB, but i've used a insulation Mica on both...this means I can test it with no channels connected without blow it?

glbaudio said:
drask said:
memestudio said:
Hi Jan,
Fabio

jandoste said:
Hey Fabio,
Cheers,

memestudio said:
Fabio
Hi Fabio,
Thank's for your answer.

Jerome
I've soldered/screwed both the heatsinks to the PCB, but i've used a insulation Mica on both...this means I can test it with no channels connected without blow it?

Yes you can test. Normally you'll have 350 360 volt on B+ whitout channels (260v +- with the channels)

Latest posts

Back