U47-style bodies - who can make one?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ppa said:
are there any PCB holders will be sold?

since all holes in the bracket are M3, you have plenty of choice here. Most "nuts and bolts" stores will a have variety of 90-degree corner brackets just for this.

If all else fails, you could use zip ties. I've done this for a mic build. Good for isolation as well, compared to metal brackets screwed tight near PCB traces.

Kingston said:
ppa said:

since all holes in the bracket are M3, you have plenty of choice here. Most "nuts and bolts" stores will a have variety of 90-degree corner brackets just for this.

If all else fails, you could use zip ties. I've done this for a mic build. Good for isolation as well, compared to metal brackets screwed tight near PCB traces.

yes, use zip ties might be a good solution because permit to isolate the PCB by acoustic vibrations than the metal corner brackets, even if I will use a 2.4 mm military grade PCB for my project, FET's have, however, an microphonic effect.

thanks
Pier Paolo

Kingston said:
ppa said:

What he said.

I've been using small 90° brackets from Mouser, and it's working great.
See these two examples:

Nice !
I tought i was the only one using mic preamps transformers in tube mics!
Can you tells us more details about it?
thanks

3nity

G7, 1st Royer is a DI, 2nd Royer is a MB-d microphone splitter.  I posted in threads over the years using transformers "backward" ll7903, ll1636 etc.  IIRC, others like Z50 and roddy etc have posted over the years using preamp transformers.

Yes, using mic transformers backward is pretty much standard around here (and I'm sure other places as well). Interfacing a tube to 200 ohms isn't so different than interfacing 200 ohms to a tube. One is step down, the other is step up, but the impedances to be interfaced and the levels are similar.

Rossi said:
Yes, using mic transformers backward is pretty much standard around here (and I'm sure other places as well). Interfacing a tube to 200 ohms isn't so different than interfacing 200 ohms to a tube. One is step down, the other is step up, but the impedances to be interfaced and the levels are similar.

yes, this is right, it's possoble using an mic input tranny in a mic, the screen pin of this trasformer should be connected to 3 pin of the XLR connector, I suppose.

the metal can to the mic earth, I suppose.

The next samples are still being worked on (as of 5 days ago).

They're taking their sweet time, it seems.
On the + side, hopefully they are making sure that they get it right.
On the - side, it's taking ages!

ppa said:
yes, this is right, it's possoble using an mic input tranny in a mic, the screen pin of this trasformer should be connected to 3 pin of the XLR connector, I suppose.

the metal can to the mic earth, I suppose.

In this mic, I've connected the EA2622 screen and case to ground.

Oh, and it's a Russian sub-mini

I´m not in a hurry with this project, you can wait for something this good!
-Did you happen to write down the point to point connections for the  M7 psu and if
could you send them as I´m bit challenged with these ( Against DIY mentality )

Matti

MATTI said:
I´m not in a hurry with this project, you can wait for something this good!
-Did you happen to write down the point to point connections for the  M7 psu and if
could you send them as I´m bit challenged with these ( Against DIY mentality )

Matti

Well, I basically just looked at the schematic and put it together.
Max's PSU schematic is already pretty close to being a point-to-point layout.

Nice clean build

Does the Russian tube one sound better than what it was based on? 

You might want to drill two holes at the sides of the tube in the PCB and use some foam and a tywrap to hold the tube in place.

Skylar said:

theoretically transformer screen and case should be connected to output XLR connector's pin 1.
Obvius, if mic's ground is connected to the pin 1, then screen and case are connected in the pin 1 the same.

Gus said:
Nice clean build

Does the Russian tube one sound better than what it was based on? 

You might want to drill two holes at the sides of the tube in the PCB and use some foam and a tywrap to hold the tube in place.

Done.

ppa said:
Skylar said:

theoretically transformer screen and case should be connected to output XLR connector's pin 1.
Obvius, if mic's ground is connected in the pin 1, than screen and case are connected in the pin1 the same.

Right, semantics I guess.

The transformer case and screen are connected to ground in the mic.
This ground connection runs through the cable to the power supply where it is ultimately tied to chassis at the AC inlet.
XLR pin 1 runs straight to this point (along with all other grounds).
So, yes there is continuity between the mic transformer case/screen and XLR pin 1, but they are not explicitly tied to eachother.

Back