UTM INDUSTRY audio transformers - from Poland - EU

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi
Question @igs !

Looking for 3510 10k:600 data but I'm confused, DCR value don't match between website and pdf ?
Also can we have confirmation of pri and sec inductance ?

Cheers
Zam

Hello friends!
I have heard good things about Igor's transformers (igs member here on the group), UTM Transformers, from many DIY enthusiasts. I became curious.
After testing different transformers (neutrik, cinemag, beyer or even custom, modified by me from those found in the DI-box for a suitable ratio) I decided to try the UTM brand as well.
I ordered 4 pieces of UTM0587. Easy order, excellent communication, fast delivery.
The transformers are very well built, consistent (they all measure the same), with a large and quality core.
Impatiently I quickly ran tests in a U87ai-inspired clone, cardioid only, with a 797 CY002 capsule in a B2-Pro headbasket,2N3819Motorola IDSS=8.1 point-to-point construction, on the workbench, partially shielded. The feedback capacitor between 330pF...750pF, gave me a nice Neumann-ish character, varying between U87ai and U87i. The truth is that I can't decide on a specific flavor, so I'll use a multi-position switch. Clear sound, great headroom.
I am convinced that with another capsule I would get a U67fet(?) sound😃
I am glad for the decision to test these truly professional transformers.
Comparisons with other brands and sound samples I will post later.
I recommend with all sincerity
UTMtransformers.
Thank you Igor for your kindness and professionalism!
✨

Micolas

Looking for any available data on the UTM2582 beyond what’s on the web shop (also FYI the PDF link isn’t working for me). Strikes me as a handy tube mic pre input trafo, like a 10468 et al but +17 instead of +12. Nickel, high headroom, looks good.

I’ve started designing a front end around it that takes advantage of its 1:7.07 and 1:1.77 capabilities, assuming typical 50-250 ohm mics and phantom via two 6K8s up front. Two relays make the changeover, and the load is just a grid with a high value leak. Cool guy way to avoid a U pad.

With an example primary termination of 1K2, parallel/series works out to 60K on the secondary, and series/parallel works out to 3K75 on the secondary. Is there a preferred zorbel across the resultant secondary in either scenario? Any need for a particular ohmic termination?

What’s insertion loss like?
I’ve been using +16dBu and +4dBu voltage gain for downstream calcs, assuming a healthy fraction of a dB will go away.

Another question is reversal, a la the 10468 flip used in the Lola (and countless 30267 applications), but that’s more of a curiosity than a need-to-know. Seems like plenty of inductance is available on the back end if one were to flip it to take a line or instrument input 1:0.141 series/parallel.

Last edited:
Hello

Maybe it has been asked before, but would the UTM3547 work for a BA283 output instead of a Marinair LO1166 ? Anybody tried it ?

What levels can it handle ?

Does it fit in a 1U rack space ?

Cheers

Thomas

Last edited:
Hello

Maybe it has been asked before, but would the UTM3547 work for a BA283 output instead of a Marinair LO1166 ? Anybody tried it ?
What levels can it handle ?

Cheers

Thomas
The UTM3548 is the equivalent and a bit cheaper too. (their numbering is similar to the carnhill ones 1148 for the output).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back