Want to buy a good vocal mic or capsule maybe DIY.... advice needed..

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Mark not tryn t o be funny but then I might as well just get any cheap mic and EQ it.... I noticed you had a wink after yr quote  ;)

I cant get hold of Tim Cambell via Email.......makes me worry about buying a capsule from him if he sells still...
Ive Emailed Violet mics twice .....no response.....

Im leaning towards the blue B6 for my C12 guts mic its more dosh but used on blues top 3K5 mics

Came across this cheapy in my searches looks pretty & very cheap never seen it before might be fun for someone to play with
http://www.cascademicrophones.com/cascade_ELROY.html

Just to add my two cents...

I do not own any super expensive or beautiful mics like a real U47, C12, etc... However I have had experience recording with many classic tube mics including original and reissue C12's, all original U47's, M50's, and ElaM 251's. I also just modded a 460ish Mic, it's actually a Pacific Pro Audio mic. (and have a youtube instructional video coming soon, and will provide a link to an AIFF shoot out before and after).

This is what I have to say on the matter... I think an original U47 or ElaM 251 is worth every cent you would pay for one. However after using the modded 460, I would not trade mine for a C12... Well unless we are talking from an investment standpoint and then I would sell the C12 and buy a bunch of 460's and mod them! lol... Given I have never been a huge fan of the C12. To my ears the 460 is actually smoother in the top end than the C12. It may not be as punchy or clear as a C12, but it is smoother and warmer to my ears. I will note I didn't do the cinemag mod, but instead got a T14 cloned transformer from Peluso who I guess gets them custom made.

I think comparing a U47 and a Apex 460 is a bad idea to begin with... After all the 460 is based off the C12 and not off the U47. Also I think it was a valid point made that none of these mics are really "better" than the other, because it all depends on the sound source you are recording. For example a U47 is not a "better" mic for recording snare drum than a shure sm57. So price doesn't really matter, what matters is the application. After all these mics are all just paint colors to paint a sonic canvas.

Oh, on the non-tube side I do own a TLM103. It is a solid mic and I love it in some applications, but not in others. I have always loved it for Acoustic guitar, because it has a beautiful tone in that application. I also have used it as a mono drum overhead with great results. However I never was satisfied with it's sound on vocals (neither male nor female). I will say between the TLM103 and the modded 460, I will always be reaching for the 460 without a second thought.

It sounds like what you are searching for is a solid all around mic to add to your cabinet without breaking the bank. For that I would get 2 460's and mod them with peluso capsules, the peluso T14, and matched NOS tubes. If you want to be adventurous change out the caps too, and remove the unnecessary parts... Hell maybe even go into the power supplies and exchange some parts for higher quality and maybe get a nicer cable. All of that would probably run you the cost of a TLM 103, and certainly far cheaper than any tube neumann. I promise you will not be upset with your choice.

People want to knock the 460's because of the price point, and generally not because of their ears. Keep in mind the circuit is almost exactly the same as the C12 (or is it just half of the C24 I can't remember). Either way the design is solid, it's just the parts that suck. Change those out and you will have a hell of a mic for a hell of a price.

I am already planning on making a second one soon, before I start my next build... Which is either going to be a G7 or a design I am working on based off of the Sela T12. Then following both of those is going to be my quest for the Holy Grail in building an exact U47 replica which I have already started buying and sourcing parts for... Down to the original capacitors used in the circuit. I think I sourced the project to right around 4-5k (that's with a VF14 replica, the price will jump when I finally get a real one).

I think the most satisfying part of modding a mic is the knowledge that you played a part in crafting the sound of the mic. That alone puts a value on the mic which goes beyond money.

I tracked with the 460 all weekend. I did a track with 14 percussion parts all of which had the 460 on it. I was expecting to have to EQ and compress things to be able to make them all fit together. Instead I ended up with a beautiful tapestry of sound and don't think the final mix will have any EQ on the current tracks recorded. They all have that beautiful rounded warm feeling to them which I haven't been able to obtain outside of a recording studio until now. The sound is reminding me of Andrew Bird records or Ugly Casanova... It's got a very warm sound to the percussion. The track when finished will also be posted on my youtube channel as I have been videotaping every part being recorded (and will edit them into one cohesive video).

Sorry for rambling, but since I have just experienced all of this recently I felt like sharing!

-Grant

Hi Grant anybody still following thanks for sharing Grant that all sounds good ....Iv come to the conclusion that im looking for best capsule per buck..... I already have what is basically a C12 well i C28A really but same circuit/parts as C12 I have 3 of them all original 1960s parts inc T14s and so on I have also rebuilt one as th Ela 251 so have no need to modd a modern mic like the 460 tho it sounds like good idea if I didnt have my parts

Iv narrowed it down to
peluso $200 ish
Blue B6 lolly $599
Tim Cambell ,but not answering Emails so prob not
Open to any further suggestions

FWIW I saw a youtube shoot out Blue did between C12 and Blue bottle B6 lolly 3500K mic....I take these shoot outs with pinch of salt.... I was trying to remain neutral but aware I was rooting for the B6 cos I can just about afford the capsule....I much prefered the C12 on just about everything they tried the the Blue guy was singing the praises of the Blue.....it was at least interesting, its not put me off the Blue B6 but Iv read time & time how close the B6 is to C12 but didnt sound that way to me ....anyway only a youtube shoot not like having in own studio.

Oh, sorry I only read the first page and half so I didn't realize you came to a conclusion. lol... Anyway I will give you a heads up on Tim. I contacted him for my project as he was my first choice for the mod.

"I usually have capsules within a
day or two of ordering. Right now however I have a waiting period of about
2 to 3 weeks."

That was on Feb 7th... So he will get back to you, but you may have to wait to get the capsule. Peluso got me mine in about 3 days of ordering it, and it sounds great. I heard Tim's is better, but it is all up to how long you wish to wait!

-Grant

I'm not sure what you mean by not answering my email. It may take a few days to get to a paticular piece of mail that needs an indepth answer.

I will also say that if after initially answering a mail and someone still seems unsure rather than using strong arm tactics to try to sell I may ask them to try to hear some different capsules so they can make a more informed choice or wait for them to get back to me with a more definitive inquiry.

Gary, in going through my emails I can't seem to find one from you. Did you write using a different name? Perhaps a bad mailing address?

Many people using this forum have bought capsules from me without any problems whatsoever.  I do my best to treat people the way I would want to be treated and I believe the worst you'll read about me is that I don't answer my email.

Hi,

I would like to sing Tim's praise. He was very very helpful, straightforward to deal with, courteous and prompt. He even swapped the capsule for an improved version for nothing. A real gent if you ask me!

Kindest regards,

ANdyP

Back