what are the best aftermarket transformers for a c800g style wa8000 mod?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Garner

i have a wa8000 and i am going to send it into a mic tech soon to get it modded, I'm going to be using a unbranded sony tube which i already have but i dont want to go genuine u67 capsule because i already have a genuine u67 capsule modded Mojave ma-200 and it sounds great but i dont wanna spend 500$ on a capsule again and i am having trouble picking a transformer and i was wondering if someone here would help point me in the right direction im trying to get as close to the sound as possible thank you :)

Last edited:
User Moby makes his own microphone transformers ,
also IGS of UTMindustry does an expanding range of all kinds of nice transformers for audio/power.

https://groupdiy.com/threads/where-to-start-for-an-exact-accurate-version-of-c800g.72960/
TLDR, there's no currently available accurate replica. But ask Moby, maybe he's made some progress. Don't go for original k67 from Neumann, because c800 capsule is not really close to it anyway.

Also make sure your mic tech goes through the original schematic and checks how accurate WA mic is. We have witnessed here several WA mics that have nothing in common with the originals on the inside.

Latest posts

Back