What should we do with the Brewery?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should we do with the brewery?

• Shut it down

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Disallow political/ religious topics

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Leave it as it is

Votes: 25 67.6%

• Total voters

ruffrecords

Many groups do not allow non-technical discussions on subjects like politics and religion. Maybe groupDIY should do the same or just close down the Brewery simply because it is so divisive.

no.
while these discussions frequently leave me feeling poisoned; I have managed to avoid even opening a recent 'hot-button' thread and feel better for it.
give individuals an opportunity to evolve and ignore

though the servers of data may disagree
not every issue and topic really has bearing on ones' life

lifestyle, reproductive decisions, gender ambiguities, etc are none of my business

This forum used to have much meaner political exchanges years ago. Enforcement of Ethan's simple rules has kept that down to a low rumble. Most members with only a handful of exceptions respect the rights of others to hold different views.

I would observe that modern culture has become much more aggressive about promoting partisan ideology and demanding certain behaviors. This has pretty much corrupted almost every aspect of modern life.

I always felt that banning politics and religion was intellectually lazy. It is not easy to maintain civility when debating strongly held beliefs that others are challenging. We have a remarkable group of members here and can still learn from each other with mutual respect.

JR

Kill it with fire would be my knee jerk reaction. But honestly, most here tend to act like adults and I haven't seen anything get too inflammatory. Perhaps just an option to "opt out" of seeing it would suffice?

The brewery has non political post that would need to go somewhere.

I used ignore to stop the people I’m tired of paying any attention to. I then realized I can ignore a whole thread. It’s kind of on me to stop my own behavior. It just takes longer for me to realize it’s a agenda driven drama and not a worth while conversation. Stop participating in the thread. And better yet turn it to ignore.

What works for me (repeated from the last time we discussed this) :

1 - Primarily, don't click on things you know will trigger you. Easier said than done, but it *can* be done

Following that :

2 - use the 'ignore member' feature on serial irritaters

3 - use 'ignore thread' for threads you can't resist clicking on for the slow motion car crash factor.

Trying to close down the entire brewery cos a few gasbags won't be civil seems a bit OTT.

I quite enjoy some of the brewery topics, definitely wouldn't want it gone altogether. Maybe split it in two? If you want to keep things like politics put it in its own separate sub-brewery section. That way the whole topic is easily ignored. And then you don't miss out on the actual useful and interesting brewery threads.

Another interesting idea previously floated was don't let people come to the site to only discuss controversial topics. Something like you need 10 electronics related posts for every 1 brewery post.

I've been here since 2005 and I don't remember the Brewery being more toxic or less useful than it is now.

A community that used to be an oasis of calm away from the nonsense has been captured by it. The reality is that electronics and audio is our shared passion but very few here have much value to add on things political - regurgitating ideas and memes mostly, often in a hamfisted way. I'm happy to go to the source if I want that.

The Brewery has driven me away form the forum and made me like and respect many of you less. Of course I could just not click and mostly don't but the spirit of argumentation and division has leaked into the other boards here.

If it was gone I would be here more and I'm sure others would be here less. I vote to shut it down.

Back