Chinese Capsules development 797 etc

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tardishead

Without buying very Chinese capsule myself I would love to know  what are people's opinions of the quality nowadays?
I had  797 capsules from 90s Rode NT1 and NT2 which are totally useable and I have a few Alctron/Tbone/generic capsules which are awful.
797 capsules used to get a lot of coverage on this forum but barely any in recent times. Why is that? Are they still in production? Are they still as good? Are the new generation of Chinese capsules just as good and therefore 797 have lost their relevance? Or is it simply because you cannot buy 797 capsules alone and therefore have to buy the donor mic?
A donor used Behringer B1, B2 might cost not much more than $50 Studio Projects C1 C3 $100-150 and you get a decent donor body and parts too. Surely this is still the way to go to get a cheap good quality K67 capsule? Or am I mistaken? Is it that a $35 generic Chinese  K67 is just as good as the old 797 ones so it makes collecting 797 ones pointless?
797 K67 types are the only Chinese capsules I have owned or heard that I thought are worth keeping.
I'd really like to hear peoples thoughts on this

On the donor front, i've collected about 5 sE2200A's so far, for anywhere between 50-100$, and modded them all :)

Stock ones? No real idea - allegedly sE make their capsules in-house(?).

The ones i installed were chinese K47's from the group-buy that was organized here... last year, i think?

Where do you think the group-buy capsules were sourced from? ;) And/or where does / could sE make their capsules & mics? :p

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=61048.0

Ok so what are the capsules like and how do they compare with  other manufacturers?
I just wanted to get a general idea of how good sounding are Chinese manufacturered capsules today?
The 797 was widely considered as a good copy of the K67 which compared favourably with much more expensive k67 type capsules.
How does the Rk47 compare with say Neumann, Beesneez, Heisermann, and other manufacturers?
I am looking for comparisons here

Now that i can't help you with, i'm afraid. Partially because i'm a cheapskate, and i'm not sure i'll ever be able to bring myself to pay that many hundreds for the capsule alone, when i've yet to have paid anything over 150$ or so for any single mic ;D

But i'm sure other, more deep-pocketed group-buy partakers (who may own mics with original capsules those are clones of) could chime in on this :)

Yes, as a rule 797 capsules were beter than generic Chinese ones. But AFAIK you couldn't get them as OEM parts.
But I saw a thread here recently with 797 capsule offerings ...

Of course you could also get a used Behringer for a loaf of bread and use that capsule.

A guy named Guosheng Zhuang used to work for 797. He started there in 1983 or so, specializing in capsules. He is now on his own and supplies microphone brands (and private parties) with capsules. He also started his own microphone brand: 3U Audio.

Ah yes I have seen his name around
And how do his capsules compare with the old 797?

Also are exactly the same 797 k67 copies still produced? Are the modern B2 pro mics still made with the same capsule? I haven't found that info anywhere but I know that a lot of manufacturers that started with the 797 moved on to different capsules I guess to improve profit margins further.

Do any of the k47 types stand out above the others?

tardishead said:
Ah yes I have seen his name around
And how do his capsules compare with the old 797?
In three and a half decades he must have learned a thing or two.

Also are exactly the same 797 k67 copies still produced? Are the modern B2 pro mics still made with the same capsule?
Good question.

Do any of the k47 types stand out above the others?
If I understand the question properly, I'd say that's a somewhat different topic.
Well, it does say etc. in the title.  ;)

kingkorg said:
I had contact with 797 audio and they are willing to send samples for 50 bucks + 50 shipping. 
Any news about this? This was about massive order/groupbuy or they can send to anyone?

I am looking for a LD 797 Audio K67 style multi, brass 6 micron capsule type. (NT2,B2,SP C3 etc.)
So i talked with 797 Audio, we had a nice communication and they sent me their capsule's catalog .pdf file.

Here is the PDF, maybe some of you find it useful:  https://we.tl/OKSRRADmJe

They told me for this type of capsule that its about 50 USD plus shipping (a bit pricey though, i was excpeting a bit more cheap).

Which capsule do u think could be better for a K67 style?
Notice the similarity between "CY002 etc." and CYO37" .  Do you think  they are the same ? They look identical, 14 screws both, but CY002 has "Philips screw head/cross"  while CY037 has flat/slot. Whats the difference? 
Also do u know if 797 makes 18 screw-capsules? 14 vs 18 comparison?

tardishead said:
Also are exactly the same 797 k67 copies still produced? Are the modern B2 pro mics still made with the same capsule? I haven't found that info anywhere but I know that a lot of manufacturers that started with the 797 moved on to different capsules I guess to improve profit margins further.
Good question.

Anyone??

Attachments

• CY002-CY037.png
    CY002-CY037.png
    477.5 KB · Views: 195
If you look better you will see that one is 6 microns, and other 3 microns. Slightly different transient response, when i shot them out it was marginal i would say irrelevant sound difference.  Slightly different resonance peak. 6 microns one is slightly louder, and therefore quieter.

Do me a favor, download files from this shootout:
https://www.paolobalestri.com/2017/10/23/u87ai-vs-behringer-b-2-pro/

Apply this EQ curve in your daw  (open the image) on Behringer B2 pro . Please do a blind test and tell me if you can tell them apart! One might want to adjust low end as well. Please do the null test as well :) And Normalize both files!

After this test i never wanted to make u87 clone, i just buy as many used B2s as i can find.

Note that middle model of B2 is the only one with detachable head! You can make several different  topologies in different bodies, and put different capsules in heads, and swap those into oblivion.

The one i would like to try actually is electret czb260

Attachments

• b to N.jpg
    b to N.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 100
UPDATE:

Oh well, czb260 is custom made 1" electret capsule! They make it on demand, and the price is 100 bucks. Yes, for an electret. Specs look nice. I was hoping to order 10 pcs, but...

I guess we might have new holy grail of chinese capsules :)

Actually i built my u87 clone cheaper than a used B2 :p, (if we talk for all other parts except for capsule) and for a capsule i wouldnt go for a used one, just my opinion, but in cases that i had the chance to go check and pick up locally  by my own  used b2's for sale (and others) the most capsules were almost "dead" :p, with many many years in use, mess, dirt etc... So after many unsuccesful efforts (and believe its hard to convience the seller to open the mic and check capsule  ;)) i decided to go only for new ones (not only for B2's but in almost every "new produced- i mean not old era- mic).
But i got what you are trying to say. I ll do the test wjen have time.

If you look better you will see that one is 6 microns, and other 3 microns.

Nope, i think only  CY006 is 3 micron. As i can understand, the others (CY002 for example) are 6 ... may i have misunderstood smthng?  ???

I am really impressed by communication and proffesionalism of guys at 797. I ordered 4 ck12 style capsules for 30$each plus shipping. They have sent me measurements of all four of them! Cant wait to try them out.

Attachments

• 20171122_111233.png
    20171122_111233.png
    102.1 KB · Views: 159
FR chart for two of them. I have two more

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171122-110636.png
    Screenshot_20171122-110636.png
    467.2 KB · Views: 191
kingkorg said:
I am really impressed by communication and proffesionalism of guys at 797. I ordered 4 ck12 style capsules for 30$each plus shipping.

So what's the "secret handshake"? ;)

kingkorg said:
They have sent me measurements of all four of them! Cant wait to try them out.

That's... nothing short of impressive. What are the two traces below the "main" one, though? Distortion, or 180deg response, or..?

Back