Re: Pronomic SCM-1
« Reply #200 on: March 15, 2019, 10:00:00 AM »
Looks like we haven't had any news on this in a while. Anyone know if the BM-80 capsule (looks identical to the good one) is actually like the good capsules, or is it some premium upgrade? I'd pay the $63 AUD easily if they are the good capsules.

I'm attaching the advertised frequency response available on iSK's website. I don't know if it's trustworthy, and they list different specs than Swamp Industries does (Swamp lists 16 dBA self noise, iSK lists 20 dBA which might be for the BM-81, pretty sure Swamp also listed the CM-20 mics with 18 dBA rather than the 20 dBA iSK advertises, though that's been corrected). Yup, Swamp's specs are incorrect. They're listing the BM-88/Pearl specs on the BM-80 because it says 25mm capsule.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 11:10:10 AM by Icantthinkofaname »

RuudNL

« Reply #201 on: March 15, 2019, 01:39:41 PM »
I have emailed iSK a couple of times and asked for a price for a batch of microphones and/or capsules, but unfortunately they never replied. Strange...
There is a solution for every problem!

http://www.vansteenisaudio.nl

cyrano

« Reply #202 on: March 15, 2019, 03:02:35 PM »
It's possible you're just too polite...

Sometimes you need to "badger" the Chinese.

Years ago, I bought laptop batteries from China. It's very common not to get a reply on a first mail. I got transferred to one of their Hong-Kong "handlers" after the fourth mail or so. They admitted having no person able to mail in English. The HK handler was reliable and I've bought several dozens of batteries from that manufacturer.

Recently, a friend bought an expensive e-bike. It should arrive assembled. Of course, it wasn't. No plans, no schematics, no battery...

It wasn't until he made a post on FB calling the manufacturer a scam operation he got response. They threatened him with a lawsuit. Again, he posted the threat on FB and sent them a mail alerting them to the post, stating that he would make a lot of noise unless they sent him what he wanted. He did get what he paid for and the manufacturer has found a Russian intermediary to handle EU business.
Why is it people love to believe and hate to know?

« Reply #203 on: March 18, 2019, 02:02:10 AM »
I have emailed iSK a couple of times and asked for a price for a batch of microphones and/or capsules, but unfortunately they never replied. Strange...

I tried that and they did reply.
However they redirected me to their
reseller.

« Reply #204 on: March 20, 2019, 09:08:05 AM »
If you guys are interested in the stock BM80, can ask for a quote.

But needs to be 100pcs ordered minimum.
Also be prepared for ~ 4 month leadtime.

Btw not using ISK for the KM84 kits.
Haven't dealt with them since the capsule groupbuy we did years ago.

« Reply #205 on: March 21, 2019, 11:37:06 AM »
I could probably go in for 4 (so I can have two cardioid, and two to try the hyper/super cardioid mod on, and 4 from Swamp Industries would probably cost $250 or so anyway.) if we can get the group buy together. Though they might just tell you to talk to the reseller.

Seems like they're already somewhat cheap (compared to a KM84), but I can't find anything on how it actually sounds or even any reviews, and I don't really trust the frequency response plot much, because a lot of iSK's look way too similar for me to believe they all sound really similar unless they're all the same few mics rebadged.

« Reply #206 on: March 21, 2019, 04:39:51 PM »
Interested, depending on the price.  Seeing as Swamp sells them retail for $63 AUD, I'm thinking you should be able to get them for well under $40 US a piece?