8 Ch NYDave One Bottles Complete

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man that preamp looks so cool and simple to build!
Is there a chance we see the psu schematics.
Thanks.

gemini86 said:
pucho812 said:
unbalanced out then? NO matter still looks great

NYD one bottle was always unbalanced 10k out.

You can balance it out with a transformer. There have been version that had it.  most used a 4:1, 10K:600

3nity said:
Thanks.

I got a PSU sch that was designed by dave for it although dave's didn't have phantom. But then again who needs it ;)

Wow! What a build! Excellent work. That thing will make your whole studio.

Those cinemags are good sounding inputs, too.

Since you have a whole 8 channels, which brand of tubes did you get? I'm asking because I've built my share of 12AV7 based amps and found out not all of those tubes were created equal. Some sounded almost broken, even if "new in a box". For example all my RCA's and GE's were bad.

These two sounded much cleaner than all others:

Tungsol 12AV7 and GE JAN-5965/5965A.

It's something to do with them having "large micas", but I never got into the details and just kept using them. Both should still be easily available.

I built a few of these in different housings a couple years ago and used rca black plate 12av7's without any problem, then for this build I purchased GE's and they all sounded like crap, they had the larger grey plates. Found another batch of nob black plate RCA's on ebay and they're all working fine...
they should look like this
RCA12AV7BPNOS.jpg

aronaut said:
I built a few of these in different housings a couple years ago and used rca black plate 12av7's without any problem, then for this build I purchased GE's and they all sounded like crap, they had the larger grey plates. Found another batch of nob black plate RCA's on ebay and they're all working fine...
they should look like this
RCA12AV7BPNOS.jpg

I came to the same conclusion. I'm just finishing up a quad of  NYDave One Bottles p2p ,  I have tried JAN Sylvania 12AV7 , GE 12AV7 and 6414W  and those RCA Black plates sound the best to me too.

aronaut said:
Is that essentially a 500 series rack you have there?

in concept, yes. dimensions and pinout, no.

I like the simplicity of the mechanical construction, especially the end frames and the support for the card connectors. I am thinking along the same lines for my next generation tube mixers. Is that a standard square section aluminium you are using? Do you cut, drill, tap it yourself or do you have it done for you?

Cheers

Ian

I like the simplicity of the mechanical construction, especially the end frames and the support for the card connectors. I am thinking along the same lines for my next generation tube mixers. Is that a standard square section aluminium you are using? Do you cut, drill, tap it yourself or do you have it done for you?

The front plates are standard 2" wide x 1/8" thick 6061 aluminum you can get at the hardware store in 6' lengths, I did all the cutting, drilling and tapping. I started with the first plate and just used that as the drill template for the rest. The internal supports are 1/2" aluminum square tube I had lying around, but you could easily use angle as well.

What are your tube mixers going to be like?

pucho812 said:
gemini86 said:
pucho812 said:
unbalanced out then? NO matter still looks great

NYD one bottle was always unbalanced 10k out.

You can balance it out with a transformer. There have been version that had it.  most used a 4:1, 10K:600

3nity said:
Thanks.

I got a PSU sch that was designed by dave for it although dave's didn't have phantom. But then again who needs it ;)

Sorry, I meant that the original circuit was 10K unbalanced.

I can’t wait for you to post the PCB files, and BOM. I really want to build 8 of these too, they look amazing!. I might even use them as a front end, and mix through passive attenuators, a makeup amp, and a summing section.

Back