alexandria ocasio - cortez

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been a fan of Tibetan culture and the Dalai Lama for about 25 years......
The anti-drama Lama is an excellent human being, and Buddhism is one of the better philosophical modes.
But how could one convince the average U.S. citizen to adopt the belief that desire is at the root of all suffering?  It couldn't be more removed from the protestant ethic.  Also consider that Tibet is under the thumb of a textbook example of a communist state.  If Tibet's land was less mountainous, and full of easily extractable natural resources, it would have long since been 'absorbed' and reduced to a simple province of the motherland.  Also the problem of setting fire to oneself as an ultimate form of protest is not a scalable method of persuasion.  ::)

Actually, I rather enjoyed that record...
serveimage

The inconceivable mental control (desire?!?) it must take to just sit there and self-immolate.
Every nerve fiber screaming out, "DO SOMETHING!"
It is horrifyingly fantastic. Sickeningly tragic. Dear great wheel-in-the-sky, please leave the door open on our way out.

I don't think you understand the meaning of desire correctly.  Also, American conservative values are not the only values that matter on planet earth.  Ridicule is a form of weakness, imo.

I don't think you understand the meaning of desire correctly.
American conservative values are not the only values that matter on planet earth. 
Ridicule is a form of weakness, imo.

Desire: strong want for something, be it things or ideas.  It's a bit of paradox, selfless sacrifice to an ideal.

Where's the ridicule? Is this me being 'mean' again? Elaborate.
While we're at it, calling systems/people fascist,  is this not a form of ridicule?

Lastly, where did I say American experiment is the only game in town? Most of my language has been about the western tradition, philosophically.

Edit: Man,  I thought we were bonding over 90's politirock and pacifist religion.  :p

...and mockery(to me) is still a sign of weakness. An action taken in many cases, to enable oneself to feel superior. A sign of judgment where one should only be judging themselves.

Even in cases where ridicule seems merited, it still comes off(to me) as irresponsible.

ridicule
[rid-i-kyool]
See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
noun

1.  speech or action intended to cause contemptuous laughter at a person or thing; derision.

The statement that Trump was a fascist, was not meant to be funny or incite a following. So no, it wasn't ridicule.

boji said:
Dear great wheel-in-the-sky, please leave the door open on our way out.

I may have misunderstood this.

An action taken in many cases, to enable oneself to feel superior.
My friend, you might be psychologically projecting here. That is if it relates to this forum.

Do me a favor- describe in a reply (you can make it a PM) where a sense of superiority from another has affected you personally.
This is a good exercise, imo.
Edit: It may bring to light
what myself and others have been trying to drive home for awhile now:  No holds barred wrt murky or bad ideas- diminish and lord over them like they were the bane of existence, but only with the weapon of better ideas. No need to get or give offense. This is the power of open dialogue. It can move mountains.

Tands: "/Yawn"  Guilty as charged.

Afterthought: Remember this is an implied contract and assumes all participants want to improve their understanding.  Folks will break this contract and resort to slander and logical fallacies, but try to see it as evidence you've rattled them into handing you a win. Some people will make it harder than others when testing your resolve to remain on point. =D
This is usually a ploy meant to misdirect away from their lack of a valid rejoinder.

Fred.

These are things I value for myself. These are things that I've evaluated and seen in myself over time. I assure you, it is not nonsense(for what I value) and nor is it pleading. For me, it is strength; strength over one self to lash out, to follow, to mock, to ridicule, to point fingers.

I get the feeling that you see everyone as a vulture. I think maybe you should get some sun and try to feel better about life.

boji said:
The anti-drama Lama is an excellent human being, and Buddhism is one of the better philosophical modes.

Khymer Rouge, Myanmar and Rohinga? I'm not picking Buddhism, just pointing out that Buddhists have carried out genocide in the 20th century and are in no special class of enlightened humans.

Not sure if you're talking to me, desol, my name isn't fred, but you reference some things I posted. You're not in any position to offer me suggestions, and I'm familiar with your schtick, so keep your little hints to yourself.

You're not in any position to offer me suggestions, and I'm familiar with your schtick
Ouch.

Dood, I sometimes kinda enjoy your angry walnuts demagoguery. You can be an unwitting foil to discovering other people's feelings. Don't mess that up by getting banned.

tands said:
Not sure if you're talking to me, desol, my name isn't fred, but you reference some things I posted. You're not in any position to offer me suggestions, so refrain.

I was replying to correct your interpretation of my personal values. I admit, I did do a little reading and thought that maybe that's who you were. I stand corrected. Carry on.

boji said:
You can be an unwitting foil to discovering other people's feelings. Don't mess that up by getting banned.

It's often a mistake to make assumptions.

Back