All things G1176 - the new "repost" thread.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gachet.
welcome to the board.
glad to see you ll find that "black market" was not the right board to ask questions.

carbon 5% are ok. original one used thoses. just check they re not too much out of value with your ohm meter.

fairchild 5532 will work. maybe electrome (rue fondaudege) still have phillips 5532AN.(i ve bought some here last year :wink: ).

optional components are optional except you use the LL1540 input traffo.

audioforge

Hello, 1176 circuit testing question:
I have my board stuffed, power supply is clean, passing signal, but things aren't quite 100%. The signal sounds a bit phasey ande distorted, and i don't think i am able to hear any compression.. Anyhow, i used my meter to take some measurements and was hoping that they would make sense to some of you and you could push me in the right direction. One of the things that has been the most interesting and challenging is to learn what to do when you have put everything together, that seems to be the steepest learning curve.

since i was having trouble with the compression i checked out the gr control amp. The rails were fine(30.7, 9.7), but my measurements were quite a bit off inside the circuit.
Q15 c-30.7, b-24.9, e-24.2
Q14 c-24.9, b-25.6, e-24.9
after R70-29.8
Q13 c-30.7, b-26.7, e-26.2
Q12 c-26.7, b-0???, e-4.6

BTW, the rest of the circuit seems to check out pretty close to the specs, its only in the gr control section

I don't know if this info would point to an obvious issue beyond the transistors operating correctly, but any info would be tremendous.
Thanks
Ian

update question..
i found an incorrect resistor. I had a 470r instead of a 470k. I replaced, powered back up and now i am having a strange oscillation that seems to start at leg 1 of the 7824 or the + side of the 1000u 50v cap.The middle leg of the 7824is a constant 6.3, leg3 is 30.7, but leg 1 oscillates between 36 and 36.1. the 50v cap oscillates between 35.8 and 36v dc As it goes through the circuit it becomes more extreme, but it seems to start there.
Q15 is 30.7 at the collector, but the base and emitter are moving quite a bit
Q16 is showing dc oscillation on all legs.
Again, this seems confined to the GR section of the unit. I have replaced the 4003's. I am wondering if i should replace the 7824 next, or the caps, a little unsure of what is actually going on.
Any info would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Ian

I bought a TE62045-ND transformer for my G1176... just wanted to double check that this transformer will work for this project and wanted to ask a for little help in wiring it up correctly...

one side of the transformer has red, green, blue, & black wires...
and the other has red, purple, yellow, and Black wires with yellow covering going half way up all of them...

realized that i used standard 107's instead of 107B's. Perhaps this is accounting for the strange behaviour in the circuit. I have ordered replacements, but wouldn't be furious if someone had any suggestions :?

Does any of the oscillation stuff make sense to anybody? Does the thinking seem right that it is in the gr section with the strange measurements, or am i chasing a goose?
BTW Jakob, played a show in Aarhus last fall. Beautiful town. Loved the people. Kick records, lovely people
Ian

Hi all,

I'm just starting to get all of my parts together and I can't decide between using the input transformers or just using chips. Could anyone give me some real world use opinions on this? I'd like to know if it's worth shelling out the extra $ for. I plan to use OEPs for color as well as cost saving.

Thanks

Matt

hi matt,
i've built the G1176 with an IC input and the OEP output and IMHO it sounds very good. your opinion and taste in the way a compressor sounds may be different, so this is what i suggest. install the parts for the IC input option first (a couple of ceramic caps, resistors, dip socket and IC). not very much money. if you really hate it, shell out the cash for the output transformer option parts. you really only waste a few dollars if you don't like the IC option.
cheers,
grant

[quote author="dissonantstring"]hi matt,
i've built the G1176 with an IC input and the OEP output and IMHO it sounds very good. your opinion and taste in the way a compressor sounds may be different, so this is what i suggest. install the parts for the IC input option first (a couple of ceramic caps, resistors, dip socket and IC). not very much money. if you really hate it, shell out the cash for the output transformer option parts. you really only waste a few dollars if you don't like the IC option.
cheers,
grant[/quote]

I think this is exactly what I'm going to do. Although I'll probably always wonder if the other version sounds a ton better, I'll certainly be happy with it this way.

Matt

I have since replaced the 107's but still getting the same response..Any ideas??
Here is the content from the previous post:

Hello, 1176 circuit testing question:
I have my board stuffed, power supply is clean, passing signal, but things aren't quite 100%. The signal sounds a bit phasey ande distorted, and i don't think i am able to hear any compression.. Anyhow, i used my meter to take some measurements and was hoping that they would make sense to some of you and you could push me in the right direction.
On all the 107's in the gain reduction circuit i am seeing a pretty significant oscillation in DC voltage. I can't get a standard reading, rather a wide, quickly changing reading on all of the base and emmiters of the transistors, reading from around 4v to 25v. Are there any obvious spots to look to?? Any tips or directions anyone could point me to?
Thanks in advance
Ian
BTW, the rest of the circuit seems to check out pretty close to the specs, its only in the gr control section

[quote author="ChrisA"]I bought a TE62045-ND transformer for my G1176... just wanted to double check that this transformer will work for this project and wanted to ask a for little help in wiring it up correctly...

one side of the transformer has red, green, blue, & black wires...
and the other has red, purple, yellow, and Black wires with yellow covering going half way up all of them...[/quote]

I'd be interested to hear about this as well. I bought a 62063 and a 62062. I opened up one of them and there were 8 different colored wires. This is the first time I install a torroidal transformer.

Thanks

the primaries should be wired in parallel, the secondaries in series. There should be a datasheet by the part number on the digikey site to tell you which wires these are

I am finishing up the first of a couple of 1176's that i have been wading through, this one using a lundahl input and output transformer. Everything sounds great, and as a line amp alone it is beautiful. The fet seems to be biased correctly and meter reacting pretty well. I am hearing quite a bit of compression even at relatively low levels. I have checked resistor values and everything else on the unit and it all seems in line.
I am wondering what i could do to tame down the threshold a little bit. Everything else seems great, ratios etc, but just wanting a little more clean headroom???
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Ian

[quote author="imo"]the primaries should be wired in parallel, the secondaries in series. There should be a datasheet by the part number on the digikey site to tell you which wires these are[/quote]

Thanks. According to the datasheet you'll end up with 4 connections. I'm still confused as to what goes where. I'm going by the Mnats wiring guide.

Thanks,

Here is the datasheet for the toroid (http://rocky.digikey.com/WebLib/Amveco-Talema/Web%20Data/62000%20Series%20Low%20Profile%20Miniature%20Transformers.pdf)
. The primaries should be wired parallel (black to violet) (yellow to red) the secondaries should be series, which would tie the two middle wires (red and brown) together. The blue and the Green wires on the secondary would carry your voltage, and the middle two would serve as the ground on your board. Hope this helps
[/url]

[quote author="imo"]Here is the datasheet for the toroid (http://rocky.digikey.com/WebLib/Amveco-Talema/Web%20Data/62000%20Series%20Low%20Profile%20Miniature%20Transformers.pdf)
. The primaries should be wired parallel (black to violet) (yellow to red) the secondaries should be series, which would tie the two middle wires (red and brown) together. The blue and the Green wires on the secondary would carry your voltage, and the middle two would serve as the ground on your board. Hope this helps
[/url][/quote]

Thanks,

I'm still finding this stuff incredibly confusing though. Has anyone drawn out the layout?

Back