Calrec PQ 1061

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been in more contact with Sowter and have determined some more info you might be interested in.

They chased up the trafo numbers Peter Purpose provided in an earlier post:

Type 3955 is 600/600 line output transformer.
Turns ratio is 1:1.06. Frequency response +or- 0.5dB 20Hz-
30kHz, Max level = 10V rms at 30Hz. with electostatic screens.
Clamp mounting, size is 51high x 60.5 x 36mm across the coil,
with fixing centres at 73mm (size k style A).

Type 3777 is modified 2318
same turns, same specification but wound on a split bobbin for
best possible balance.

Price for 3955 is £52.22 (this is much more expensive than 8403
because it is larger, uses a Nickel core and more winding sections).

Price for 3777 is £48.75 (more expensive than 2318 due to the
more complex winding require on the split bobbin).

So we now have a line on original output iron if you want it or any other suitable 600:600...(maybe Cinemag have something cheaper and more readily available for you US guys?)

This info also provides two input transformer choices - the slightly cheaper 2318 at 46GBP-ish or the 3777 which is a slightly better version at sightly more cost....these are not cheap pieces of iron but their cost will drop if we do a decent group buy...

Anyway I have a question as I want to order a single set this week to prototype the new preamp layout etc. I'm going for the 3777 as it seems the best choice for input tx, however I'm uncertain about the added cost and size of the original output tx. The sowter package guide lists it as 40mm high, thats not going to fit in a 1U rack is it? Thats what I require but can't find any internal dimensions for a 1U chassis..

I would love to have original spec iron for this but am worried about the fit - am I better off going with Sowters own 8403 which is considerably smaller and has a diff. core material?

To ask the impossible I don't know much about transformers but understand that Nickel (Nickle (SP?)) cores are cleaner than steel...would perhaps a 50/50 Cinemag CMOB-2/3L be a viable alternative? Its quite a bit smaller and would offer a different tone with maybe more colour I guess?

Was doing a layout with PCB mounted TX's but Sowter cannot do the input TX in a smaller can that will fit in 1U without sourcing an 'L' mounting bracket so I have decided to leave the transformers of the board. This way you can add whatever you want.

Anyway I thought some of this might be interesting to some of you. I could use some advice on the Sowter transformers anyhoo...

Cheers Tom

I don't know how far people have got with this project but I have the original 1061/1161 manual and pcb track (solder side) layouts if anyone's interested. The track layouts are to scale and with a bit of photoshop messing they could be really useful and of course 100% accurate.

I'll be scanning them next weekend, will try and post them up here or forward them to someone with webspace. I've actually got a whole calrec BBC GP4 console manual which has all the sub-boards too for the mic/eq's, line amps, routing modules etc, it's got everything you'd need to know.

Watch this space.

hoot hoot

I'm really quite far with this but its becoming an 'inspired by' project as opposed to a direct clone....

I'd love to see the complete docs cos I've only got half of them but I'll be ready to prototype soon...1month-ish.

I already have reissue transformers from Sowter which got here a week or two ago for the proto.

I want to offer PCBs for the whole thing when its done.
and am sorry its taking so long....

I'll be gutted if someone just reverses the original boards and offers them....
:cry:

Tom

Question for PeterC

I want to leave space and extra holes on the EQ PCB for a few inductor choices. Basically there will be the Sowter can's with 5-6 pins (Neve-style or custom order if you want to play with the values and BW etc).

I know Sowter cores work out to be prohibitively expensive with the GBP so strong - so I want to leave holes for the Farnell Ferroxcube cores too - RM12 or RM10.

My question is - which mounting hardware to design for? There will only be 5 freq choices on the PCB so less taps are required - 3 taps on the Sowter Neve cores which I'm using for proto.

Which one is suitable and available in other parts of the globe? Farnell has a better selection of RM10 hardware than RM12...

RM-10 Cores - Farnell No: 3056909
42448000.jpg

RM-10 Bobbin Mounting (5 Pin) - Farnell No: 178919
42447954.jpg

Or there is a 12-Pin (over specc'd) RM12 core and bobbin:
42447950.jpg

Cheers Tom

I liked the look of the RM12 cores mainly for the bigger core size. I did not want to skimp on core size & risk a thinner sounding coil.

The bobbins I prefer are the units with 2 straight rows of pins as in your pics, I think they are called power bobbins. The others with the clusters of pins (as I used) are very fiddly.

I basically brought the wire to the gap between the 2 sets of pins, took a turn round the plastic part of the bobbin & then routed it to the pin I wanted to use. Then back the same way as before.

You'll have to get the enamel off the wire before soldering, I ended up using fine waterpaper because any rougher grade made the wire snap. Go slowly is all I can say....

Peter

Thanks Peter,

I'm not considering winding these for myself but think it would be cool to have the facility for anyone that wishes - so in your opinion I should layout for the RM12 power bobbin which features 12 pins?

Do you think that would suit most people? Would this be best for yourself? I quite liked the idea of the 5 pin job as it has less redundant pins for 5 freqs.... but if you believe the RM12 core is more flexible and less fiddly then thats cool with me.

[Edit] Also, any suggestions for layout, shall I have input one side taps the other or all on one side of the bobbin pins?[/edit]

Cheers Tom

My suggestions are based on what I can get! The Farnell stuff is very expensive here so I troll round all the agents to see what they have.

So it's best to use what suits you, the 5 pin should be fine for this.

For deign it's probably easier to have all the taps in a row from lo to hi or vice versa.

Peter

Thanks again Peter,

I'll have a look at the datasheets and base my final design on board space.....if you can't get the RM10/12 sets from Farnell in SA without it being too expensive - I'd be happy to send some to you (when you need) if thats worthwhile?

They work out to be approx. £8 a set here...

Cheers Tom

Mmmmmmm Nice!!

CA61_Sowter-Iron_ProtoOrder.jpg

Got these a week or two ago...

Thanks to Peter Purpose who had the 3955 O/P TX part number - these bad boys are chunky nickel core 600ohm outputs, will only fit in 1U if you have 40mm internal height....

Tom

Bump!

Hello Tom just wondered if you have made any advancements on this project in the last month. I am very interested in this thread. I would like to build a pair someday :grin: z

I'm afraid the project has taken a back seat the past month due to work commitments but I'm planning to move forward quite speedily in a few weeks, when I get some time off.

Just trying to find the best way to put it all together. I've got to be honest - I don't know how all these other guys get projects out so fast!

BTW I'm planning on perhaps doing a batch order (possibly a group buy?) of various switches from Grayhill, things that can be used in numerous projects like 2x6 pole and 2x12 pole MBB/BBM 71 series PCB mount.

Trying to take adv. of price breaks for all of my projects. Would there be any interest in that?

-Tom

Tom you should consider making this a little kit ( like the JLM stuff and the DIY500 by Eisen Audio)... make a little $ off it you deserve it for the amount of work you put into it.

[quote author="TomWaterman"]I'm afraid the project has taken a back seat the past month due to work commitments but I'm planning to move forward quite speedily in a few weeks, when I get some time off.

Just trying to find the best way to put it all together. I've got to be honest - I don't know how all these other guys get projects out so fast!

BTW I'm planning on perhaps doing a batch order (possibly a group buy?) of various switches from Grayhill, things that can be used in numerous projects like 2x6 pole and 2x12 pole MBB/BBM 71 series PCB mount.

Trying to take adv. of price breaks for all of my projects. Would there be any interest in that?

-Tom[/quote]

Tom,

Thanks for your efforts. Looking forward to seeing your progress in the comming months as I am interested in what you have been working on.

I would be interested in any parts that would help me build this project.
Wondering if you would consider offering PCBs for this progect later on or even a Partial kit as Cannikin suggests?

z

Back