Calrec PQ 1061

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom

The only other time I have wound coils I used the same core material but with an ETD core for my Naive 1081 EQ. I did not put in the transformer stages, but when I compared it to a real 1073, the same character was definitely there.

I have gone to an RM style core for this coil as I think it would give me more inductance in a smaller package.

Peter

Awesome Peter!

I forgot you did the 1081 first! Must check that out - you got a webpage for that? There was sumthing at the old groupDIY.com right?

-Tom

Hi Cannikin & Tom

What is the status on the PCB design? I'd be prepared to wind coils for these if there were not toooo many takers! We'd have to finalise a coil footprint for the PCB.

Regards
Peter

I am still interested but won't be around home much until august. I have proto'd a basic preamp using just the gain stages of the 1061 without the EQ and have one up and running (using a quad eight 3440 input TX, not the sowter......it's what i have around though I'd like to get some sowters) It actual sounds pretty good.

I have spent some time doing layout work but nothing serious yet. When work winds down I plan to spend some time looking more into this one though.

Brian

how many people are interested in building this project?

I may have some extra greyhill 3 deck 12 position switches that I could sell to group members if the boards are layed out for that switch. I only have a somewhat limited supply though annd they are around $30. I dont knwo if that helps or complicates things but figured Id throw it in the pot.

dave

A couple posts back I had montioned having some time to spend on these PCB's but with work being what it is there is no way I can get to it anymore than I already have. I ended up getting some gain stages built and made a hybrid Quad8/Calrec preamp (I'll post some stuff when I get a chance) but the full on 1061 is a but much of a time consumer for me these days.

Thanks,

Brian

Hey FH;

I wish we could get this project off the ground..... IT would be amazing!

So get to work! :grin:

Basically, we need to figure out the everything...

I recently got a pq14 and think that would be a lot cooler sounding and easier to do. Hi five me for derailing this one... Either way, I have no time for this right now at all unfortunately.

dave

'Sup guys!

Good to see this bumped back up....

Buz - no worries about having time for the PCBs. Interested to hear how your hybrid preamp got on...how were those gain blocks performing?

Dave - anyway for you to try and put into words how the PQ14 differs in sound, parts and design compared to a 1061?

I'm still really interested in the 1061 but am open to suggestions. I think we have got quite far with it really and it would be a shame to go back.

As far as I was aware KevinA was doing a PCB too, but he hasn't posted here for months and months. Guess he got too busy.

I'll email him and see whats up (if yer out there Kev, pop in and let us know please sir!).

I have half a scan of the motherboard and most module data that I was collecting from Kevin. He most graciously had to spend a lot of time making the diagrams readable via editing / scanning. Most of the module can definitely be worked out from what I've got. So I can put it all together and send it out.

Dave, can you still host it? I know DaArry wants a copy too.....

PeterC - did you ever wind that inductor?

-Tom

sure I can host anything.

the pq14 has a much fatter sound. the 10 series stuff seems like the answer to the neve broadcast eq's. there arent nearly as many eq points on the 14, so it would be much easier to do the switching and lately Im finding less is more with these types of EQs. would still be great to do this project but the 14 or 15 might be easier to get going. Just a thought. Does anyone have a schematic for comparison? I dont have any docs for the 14 or 15. Im not sure if you need a gapped transformer with this one or not.

dave

dave-

if you can ever make it out to NJ, Im generally pretty happy to take a break from whatever to do a comparison between the two if you'd like.

dave

Latest posts

Back