Can a non m7 capsule fit in an m7 bayonet?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vintagelove

Hi, quick question. Can you put a non m7 capsule in one of the old style m7 bayonets like the one pictured below (just a pic grabbed from another GDIY thread).

Long story short I have a Theirsch red line (I think) in one now, and I've never loved the sound compared to other capsules I have. Was hoping to someday swap it out for one of Tim's ck12 when they are available (again hopefully). Just wondering if it would fit. Thanks!!!

IMG_2827.jpeg

Hello,

yes is possible, i've built many times K47s and CK12s into Bajonett Heads. But you need to know the M7 has a very special Frequency Response in combination with the Bajonett Head, same with all other Capsules like CK12, K67, K47. A CK12 will never sound like a C12 Microphone in a Bajonett Head.

Is important to let the mesh around the capsule installed, it raises the bass by around 2dB.

Best

Hello,

yes is possible, i've built many times K47s and CK12s into Bajonett Heads. But you need to know the M7 has a very special Frequency Response in combination with the Bajonett Head, same with all other Capsules like CK12, K67, K47. A CK12 will never sound like a C12 Microphone in a Bajonett Head.

Is important to let the mesh around the capsule installed, it raises the bass by around 2dB.

Best
True we just tested those(I think you made the ck12 capsule conversion Ericbazaar) I think a good m7 can sound better but it depends on the bottle mic circuit too. Just make sure the bottle mic doesn't modded too high polarization voltage, 75-80v is not healthy for any ck12's.

Attachments

• IMG_20230908_124335.jpg
    IMG_20230908_124335.jpg
    686.8 KB · Views: 0
@SparkleBear and I are doing a project like this right now, we used the blue Bottle rocket mics as a donor and made a custom PCB for it with the CMV 563 circuit. The bottle rockets use the bayonette connector and we can play around with different capsules. I have one basket with a CK12 from Heiserman and one with a Neumann K47. We also have a head basket with one of Arrienes flat47s and it sounds great! We’ll be doing some tests with the other caps next week! I’m really curious how the CK12 will sound in this CFG.

Attachments

• 70069114475__76BDFD0E-57C4-4277-B810-11524EE9A7E1.jpeg
    70069114475__76BDFD0E-57C4-4277-B810-11524EE9A7E1.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
@SparkleBear and I are doing a project like this right now, we used the blue Bottle rocket mics as a donor and made a custom PCB for it with the CMV 563 circuit. The bottle rockets use the bayonette connector and we can play around with different capsules. I have one basket with a CK12 from Heiserman and one with a Neumann K47. We also have a head basket with one of Arrienes flat47s and it sounds great! We’ll be doing some tests with the other caps next week! I’m really curious how the CK12 will sound in this CFG.
Cool project.

I have a Telefunken 301/2 (the original big bottle mic). It's like a cmv3, but has the msc2 tube like the original m49. I have a few capsules, and the m7 was always just kind of, not my favorite I guess. Maybe I'll just look for a different m7...

I have a spare bayonet mount that I hope to one day get around to building another bottle. I guess I really just need a nice looking metal tube. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear it.

Another cool thing I have is the violet global pre. It's just a clean SS amp for these capsules. If you have nice capsules already, these are great to add another mic to the locker.

True we just tested those(I think you made the ck12 capsule conversion Ericbazaar) I think a good m7 can sound better but it depends on the bottle mic circuit too. Just make sure the bottle mic doesn't modded too high polarization voltage, 75-80v is not healthy for any ck12's.
Thats true, i use always the HAUN CK12 Type for such modification. This Capsule Type can handle 80V Load Voltage very well, for other CK12 Capsules is this high load Voltage critical. Forgot to talk about that. My M7 Capsule Tech ask me every time when i order new M7s for the used Load Voltage.

Hello,

Best
Hi, could you say a bit more about the "mesh" around the m7? What is the material, and how does one install it? Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back