• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Cheap DIY microphone bodies (ALL SOLD!)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RuudNL

I think it is a problem for every DIY microphone builder: what do I use to build my new microphone design in?!
Most bodies are rather expensive, or you have to find a 'donor microphone' and remove everything that is inside.
For this reason I have decided to produce a couple of cheap aluminium bodies.
They have a diameter of 48 mm and fit in a MXL-57 shockmount.
The apertures in the body are laser cut. The body itself is made of blank aluminium, leaving the choice to spraypaint or powdercoat to the end user.
The bottom of the body has a hole that fits a round Neutrik XLR connector. (Not included.)
A round disk to mount the capsule saddle on, is also included.
As far as I can see now, the whole set would cost something like 35,00 Euro.
The brass mesh is included, to form the screening of the headbasket.

Would there be any interest in this? If yes, then I will have a couple of extra bodies made.
This is how a finished microphone looks like, using the body I mentioned:

red2.JPG

Hi
;)
What thickness has the aluminum tube , meaning what diameter does one have left inside the body . G7 for instance requires 48mm iirc , at least otherwise mounting the PCB gets very difficult .

How does one make the connection between mesh and body to assure that the mesh is grounded as well . Soldering aluminum isn´t that an easy task .

how thick is the bottom part and how is it connected to the body ? do you have some more pics ?

one layer mesh is enough ? did you never think about 2-3 layer ?

just some thoughts that came up

What thickness has the aluminum tube
1,5 mm, so 45 mm left inside, more than enough to fit a 36 mm capsule.
How does one make the connection between mesh and body
Conductive glue, as used to repair PCB's
how thick is the bottom part
8 mm. 
one layer mesh is enough
Yes. But of course you are free to add an extra layer!

Hey that's very affordable.

I would like TWO please ::)

Michael
oxford
england
uk

I usually but mxl bodies for 30- 40 so if you switched that price to USD and could ship it for a grand total of $40... this might be out of the question for the same of the exchange rate... but I wonder of we couldn't figure out a way of doping that in the state as well.... That's my 2 cents on the subject... think its a greay idea even though out won't likely be economical for me :)

The brass mesh is included, to form the screening of the headbasket.

Does the mesh come pressed into the correct shape, or as a flat sheet?

greeeaaat !  I love it ! Still I would much prefer brass tube, easier to handle, solder, galvanize, would it be that much more expensive ?

thank you for making this happen.

btw I ponder if I should organize a group buy of funk- tonstudiotechnik tube mic psu. They wouldn't  be super cheap but they are dead quiet, is there some interest ?

Does the mesh come pressed into the correct shape, or as a flat sheet?
The top piece will be pre formed, but there will be enough mesh to create your own top piece, if you want.
Still I would much prefer brass tube, easier to handle, solder, galvanize
I understand what you mean, but this time it will be aluminium only.

By the way: I will try to post a picture of the inner construction tomorrow.

As promised, here is a detail picture of the interior:

inside.JPG

This is the idea: the 'rails' (I used long distance bolts) are mounted between two 2 mm thick discs. The holes in the discs are countersunk.
The Neutrik NC3MPR connector holds the thicker bottom disc and the 2 mm. bottom disc together.
No extra holes, no visible screws in the bottom!
The 8 mm thick bottom disc has to two holes with M3 thread, to mount the construction in the tube.

Latest posts

Back