• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Cheap DIY microphone bodies (ALL SOLD!)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering... which kits fit into the bodies?

C-12? U87? U67? G7?

How difficult could be to make little holes for the polar paterns on some of those kits?

I think the size (inner diameter 45 mm, length 215 mm) will fit all designs.
If you would like to make extra holes for a pattern switch, be my guest...
At the moment they are available just as they are now.
They are laser cut by a metal factory.
I don't have the intention to have a second batch produced.

Got mine yesterday. Very nice! A nice piece of Eindhoven-engineering.. ;)
Small question: any solutions for using a 7-pin connector? The heavy-duty xlr you specify is only available up to 5-pin.

Thanks!
Corneel

No, not yet. I have used them for phantom powered microphones only, so the 3-pin XLR was good enough.
Unfortunately it is not possible to replace the insert in the XLR...
(By the way: they are available here now, the nice 'gold' ones!)
I think you need to find a creative solution!

Here is the solution:  ;D

7pin-XLR.jpg

Heavy duty 7 pin custom Neutrik. Not a very cheap solution, but they fit and do the job!

What the hell? Wow. How did you do that??  ;D
- take 7 pin male xlr plug
- take out pin-thing
- take heavy duty xlr
- remove pins
- insert 7-pin pinholder?

RuudNL said:
Here is the solution:  ;D

Yes, it is as easy as that!
The insert is glued inside the Neutriks.
Unscrew them, put them (with the pins down) on the table at hit the back of the insert with a heavy object.
The glue will break and now you can take out the original insert.
Put in the new 7 pin insert et volià!

Last week I got the last 5 bodies from the metal workshop that still needed finishing.
At the moment there are still 2 bodies left.
And when they are gone...they are gone forever!

Ruud, I am just examining the bodies now.

On the plate that is used to hold the capsule, it seems that i would need to drill the holes myself to fit the cradle and the cables, correct? Unless I am missing something on the construction of course.

dmnieto said:
Ruud, I am just examining the bodies now.

On the plate that is used to hold the capsule, it seems that i would need to drill the holes myself to fit the cradle and the cables, correct? Unless I am missing something on the construction of course.

Yes, that's right. There are no holes, because the distance between the holes varies between different mounting posts.
Most of the time the holes are ca. 9 mm apart for the small mounting posts, but for the 'domed' mounting posts, the distance is bigger.
That is why this is left to the end user. It is only 2 mm. aluminium, so it is easy to drill the holes yourself.

RuudNL said:
Yes, it is as easy as that!
The insert is glued inside the Neutriks.
Unscrew them, put them (with the pins down) on the table at hit the back of the insert with a heavy object.
The glue will break and now you can take out the original insert.
Put in the new 7 pin insert et volià!

Hey Ruud, what is the 7 pin insert that you use?

Latest posts

Back