EQU47 Mic Bodies | Orders open on January 19th 2013

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MagnetoSound said:
Well, last night I decided to wipe the body tube down with some isopropyl-soaked cotton wool to get rid of my fingermarks - I figured that would be the best way to remove the grease without adversely affecting the surface - and made an interesting discovery.

The isopropyl not only removes the fingermarks, it also removes whatever residue is on the surface that makes them so obvious in the first place, so the finish is now much less prone to showing up fingermarks than before.

Not only that, but it has also slightly dulled the finish to a much more pleasing mid-grey, rather than the bright sparkly silver colour that it was straight out of the box.

Isopropyl alcohol?  I must be careful with that in future: I had no idea it would do such a thing!  I will give some a whirl this evening.  Thanks!

David

PS: Think what you could do with a smear of WD40, or Brasso -- or even toothpaste!  ;D

I just ordered one of these. Though they were nice for a pop filter...

The one I ordered is front aluminium and black at the back.

http://www.thehookstudios.com/filters.html

Will let you know how they work out...

Marc

Attachments

• lg_2036_300px-2.jpg
    lg_2036_300px-2.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 32
Received my capsule today. Looks great. I'll check the sound next week when the PSU is ready.
Thanks Skylar

So, i'm sure this question should be reserved for a thread all by itself, but if the sound that really defined the u47 mic was the tube that was used, why isn't anyone cloning that tube?    Wasn't there a vid about some guy who made tubes by hand over in france?

mulletchuck said:
So, i'm sure this question should be reserved for a thread all by itself, but if the sound that really defined the u47 mic was the tube that was used, why isn't anyone cloning that tube?    Wasn't there a vid about some guy who made tubes by hand over in france?

http://www.telefunken-elektroakustik.com/products/vacuum-tubes.php

But not for individual purchase...

mulletchuck said:

I don't know that the U47 sound is so much the tube as it is the capsule + headbasket + tube operating points + transformer combo. I theorize that one could approach a similar sound with many types of tubes if the operating points are set correctly and then combined with the other elements mentioned previously. I think this is what Max was shooting for with the MK7, then the MK47.

So why no VF14 clones? Let me make some guesses:
• the technical documents needed to understand part materials, specs, geometries, manufacturing process, and construction are probably scarce or non-existent
• the machinery needed to build tubes would require hundreds of thousands of dollars to purchase
• also, all such machinery is decades old at this point and not necessarily in peak operating condition
• the handful of tube manufacturing houses still in business today (JJ, EHX, Chinese, ?) would need to invest tens if not hundred of thousands on R&D and tooling to develop a new tube for manufacture, such as the VF14
• the VF14 cannot be made by hand in the same manner that the French dude in the video makes glass triodes. (fingers crossed someone will prove me wrong!)

So, there's really no return on investment—much less profit. You'd probably need to sell 5000 units @ $200 to break even.

I don't feel that there's anything special about the VF14 sound-wise. I could always change my mind at a later date, but that's how I feel now.

If one WERE to clone the VF14, here's what you'd need to build inside a steel vacuum:
VF14-internal.jpg

zayance said:
http://www.telefunken-elektroakustik.com/products/vacuum-tubes.php

But not for individual purchase...

This tube is bunk. It's a glass WE 408a inside of a metal or plastic housing made to look like a VF14. Nothing special.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/moan-zone/369572-vf14k-tube.html
http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/mv/msg/26925/0/0/0/

If you want the sound of the "VF14k", search eBay for "408a tube," buy one for $2.00 (give or take), and install it with a resistor as shown the the above threads.

I posted for saying: i think this ones is maybe protected still? If this has ever been protected...
But since not even Telefunken does it the way it must be, then i guess, no one makes them point.

zayance said:
I posted for saying: i think this ones is maybe protected still? If this has ever been protected...
But since not even Telefunken does it the way it must be, then i guess, no one makes them point.
uhmmm IIRC Telefunken usa has nothing to do with the old German compagny (which make phones nowadays)...They just bought the name and the right to sell mics with the old logo.
Interesting links BTW  skylar. remembered that story of phones transatlantic compagny. ;D

Mzaar said:
zayance said:
uhmmm IIRC Telefunken usa has nothing to do with the old German compagny (which make phones nowadays)...They just bought the name and the right to sell mics with the old logo.
Interesting links BTW  skylar. remembered that story of phones transatlantic compagny. ;D

Sure, i'm not an expert, but since they bought the name, maybe some other stuff with it, like this rare tube design etc...
And i tought they were making it right, but as the link shows, absolutly not, soooooooo, yes this one is super rare.....
Needed?, i don't know, cloned?, well seems tough (skylars observations), will it happen one day?, not this year i guess....

I am using EF14 valves for my microphones and am wondering how the valveholder is attached to the rubber band that seems to be used to suspend it in the original U47.  The only decent picture that I have of this is at: http://www.harmoniccycle.com/hc/images/photos/U47/Neumann_U47_01a_lg.jpg but it obscures the method of attachment.

I would also like to know where to get the wide rubber straps...

Any help much appreciated.

I am assuming that draught excluder will work for the lower protective sorbo ring!

David

Here's a pic where you can see (or rather guess) the other side.
rubber_mount.JPG

You have 6 little rectangular metal plates (2 per screw.) that acts as a washer to protect the rubber. The order is: screw/plate/rubber/plate/tube holder. The screws are self tapping type, but beware of not breaking the Bakelite when threading them in!
You also have 3 rectangular plates hold by 2 screws each to the rails.
Sorry I didn't took measurement nor dimensions of those parts. May do one day, but don't expect any time soon, cause the mic is working perfectly, therefore I miss an excuse to take it apart ;)

If your using a Skylar body, keep in mind that you have two rails instead of three, so no need to spend money on exact replica cause you will end up with different suspension characteristics anyway...

Another trick. The tube holder is made of Bakelite which tends to store water, which is bad for a high-Z tube. For that reason, there should be a layer of varnish on the bakelite to make it water proof.
But when you drill the tube holder to screw the rubber band on, you make a path for moisture to get in... Being a maniac, I'd add a tiny bit of silicon grease on the screws. This also helps with threading.

Axel

Skylar, I seemed to recall awhile back that you said you were going to sell parts as well as complete mic shell kits, but when you re-launched a couple of months back, it looked like you're only selling complete shells for about $100 more than the first batch (which I was fortunate to be in on.  What's the status on that and do you have enough inventory to satisfy any new orders at present?  Thank you.

We do offer individual parts from the mic body kit, but we're not advertising them on the store because it would be a nightmare to keep up with the inventory.
Also, as a courtesy to customers who may have broken or lost parts from their mic body and need replacements, we're not openly advertising on our website.

If you need individual parts, we can help you out. Just send an email to support[at]equinoxsystems.net with your request.
I do know that we are not selling internal rails individually at this time, but the other parts should be available.

chuckD,

What is the name of the local company that did your nickel plating?  I live near you and will do my EQU47 body as well.  Also,  I had heard that the original U47's were shiny nickel plated and then bead blasted to slightly dull them.  Don't know if that's true or not.  The idea was that plating in dull nickel will hold finger prints and stains just as a bead blasted aluminum body.  I wonder what the difference is between dull plated nickel and shiny nickel with a light bead blasting.  Finally, for those of you who are using these mic bodies as is (anodized), how are they holding up?

Bead-blasting after nickel-plating will strip off the nickel plating.

If you've seen a "dull" nickel finish, it's because the work piece was bead-blasted before the nickel-plating.

Back