EZ Tube Mixer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Mike,
  It's a complex project so it's mostly waiting for parts...looking forward to see your progress and see how you like it. I'm happy to see more people getting into the project.

Regards,

Pierre

In case anyboby else needs to find a solution about the 1 HP (5.08 mm) space between the side panel and the first/last module. I finally got hold of some filler ears. It's not perfect because there is a notch at the top and bottom but still it will do the job for me. It also remedies the problem i had having to countersink the rack cheek. Now i can finally start the making of the wood cabinet.
i got them from elby designs in australia, it's for the modular synth enthousiasts.
http://www.elby-designs.com/contents/en-us/p662.html

Attachments

• filler.jpg
    filler.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 84
Ok, i just started prototyping the wood cabinet. I'm doing test's using cardboard to try and find the right angle for faceplates and to have an idea of how much wood i would need.
It will be two bucket wide,6U for the preamp and eq, and 3u for rotary fader pan, aux sends and mute. Plus an horizontal wood wrist rest with enough space for the computer keyboard and mouse.
Do you guys think the angle looks right?

Attachments

• RealMockup.jpg
    RealMockup.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 151
Hello Ian and Pierre.

Perhaps I've missed it somehow but do you have a part number for the 32 pin connector that mates with the one that mounts on the board?
I have the board mount one but when I look for its mate on the Newark site, I come up empty!
The page with the board mount part shows both parts but gives no order number or information about the mating connector.
The rest of the parts are arriving, just awaiting my HT transformer and output transformer as I'm building just one preamp for testing first.
Again, thanks for the great documentation and the two clips you've posted sound great!
Can't wait to get this in operation.

Mike,
This is the Newark link for the female 32 pin connector that mounts on the backplane:

http://www.newark.com/harting/09-04-232-6831/din-41612-pcb-connector-receptacle/dp/79K4458?Ntt=09042326831

and the Mouser link:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=09042326831virtualkey61720000virtualkey617-09-04-232-6831

I'm pretty sure that this is what you were asking about?

Dave

No prob Mike. That's the spirit around here. I have met some super cool people who have shared a lot of knowledge on the forum.
Ian is a great example. He has helped me so much, not only with the projects that he has designed, but with other topics as well in these threads and in emails (a lot of them)

This truly is a great place!
Dave

p.s. I hope your build is going well and feel free to ask any more questions!

Got the Braeden H69 front panels back from Frank Roller the other day. They look amazing.

Cheers

Ian

Attachments

• H69actual.jpg
    H69actual.jpg
    390.4 KB · Views: 103
Haha I just posted in my front panel thread requesting a pic and here it is.

Glad you're happy with the end product Ian! They turned out great.

Braeden

Edit: I'll have the EQP1A done soon enough, I just want to get them right so they look perfect side by side with the H69 ;)

Ok, i have now a new prototype of the wood frame for my console. I actually wanted to do the wood work myself...so it was going to be the console now it is an advanced prototype...

Attachments

• Prototype.jpg
    Prototype.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 133
Hey Pierre, that is going to be a very handsome console!! it looks very slim for a tube console. I like the way you left of the fourth extrusion in the fader bay as it is not needed - neat.

I thought you were going to use wood between the two adjacent sub-racks but it looks like you have them bolted directly together - was that with the countersunk screws we talked about.

Would you be prepared to share the dimensions of the end profile wood work? - possibly you have a dxf file??

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
Hey Pierre, that is going to be a very handsome console!! it looks very slim for a tube console. I like the way you left of the fourth extrusion in the fader bay as it is not needed - neat.

I thought you were going to use wood between the two adjacent sub-racks but it looks like you have them bolted directly together - was that with the countersunk screws we talked about.

Would you be prepared to share the dimensions of the end profile wood work? - possibly you have a dxf file??

Cheers

Ian

The ear filler took care of the problem, so i ended up not needing the rack ears to be countersunk. For the dimensions, i did it with out a plan, i just bought a 5'x5' plank of russian plywood and the drew the lines with one sub rack in place.  It's kind of a shame to have to redo the woodwork later but i felt i needed for the project to take form. A carpenter will turn my mess into a something nicer the eye i hope.

I will draw a sketch with the dimensions .

Ian i was wondering if you would consider designing a small adaptor pcb to allow us to use Chrion inductors with the different eq pcb's. I spent hours trying to create it but i just am not good at it. I figured since you have both foot prints in your pcb software, it's just a matter of connecting the dots. I hope i'm not asking too much...

@Holger I'm really really looking forward to see what your console will look like, judging by the other projects you did it will be quiet stunning. Thank's again for the fpd file with the scale for the led meter.

Here is another angle...

Attachments

• Prototype-2.jpg
    Prototype-2.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 85
anjing said:
    Ian i was wondering if you would consider designing a small adaptor pcb to allow us to use Chrion inductors with the different eq pcb's. I spent hours trying to create it but i just am not good at it. I figured since you have both foot prints in your pcb software, it's just a matter of connecting the dots. I hope i'm not asking too much...

I will have a look. I now have a combined footprint that I use on all my new designs including the Universal EQ and the REDD EQ but that does not help you much. The only problem I can see it I do not know the exact pin outs of each of Chrion's inductors for my EQs. That's why at present the footprint just provides pads for Chrion's inductor. After you have fitted it you need to link the Chrion inductor pins to the appropriate pads on the PCB. I could do an adaptor along similar lines if that would help but I am not sure it is any better than glueing Chrion's inductor on its back and wiring to the Carnhill pins.

I think the big issue is the pin outs of Chrion's inductors. If you have those then I can probably do something.

Cheers

IAn

I see Ian, i guess it's more of an head ache then i tough, forget it then. For my part i was still stuck at creating the components in eagle. I will eventually order a few and try the gluing method, i did not think of it before. Thank's Ian!
How is your finger recovering?

Regards,

Pierre

Latest posts

Back