Federal Limiter AM864 thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave,
What I was refering to is,

While the unit is 'on' move around wiring (gently ), with a chopstick, or similarly insulated material, and see if this reduces hum in any way (you'd be surprised :wink: )

Worked for me a few times ! :grin:

Steve :thumb:

Howz the earth continuity around the case, eg front panel to main panel, to earth etc ?

Dave, got me a Federal sitting here with the covers off :grin: , do you want me to take some pics of the wiring layout for you ?

Steve :thumb:

I'm on the case Dave,

She's an original, (real nice), But it needs a bit of TLC :grin:

some ' unauthorised ' mods have been done to it, and a friend has asked me to have a look at it for him.

I'll up the pics as soon as they are done.

hope this can help youse :thumb:

Hiya Dai,

Took me a while to get the pics on, but here they are :grin:

normal_Fed_1.JPG

normal_Fed_2.JPG

normal_Fed_INPUT_TRANSFORMER.JPG

normal_Fed_OUTPUT_TRANSFORMER.JPG

normal_Fed_PWR_CHOKE.JPG

normal_FED_Merge_2.jpg

normal_Fed_Merge_3.jpg

Full size images are at
http://www.twin-x.com/groupdiy/thumbnails.php?album=75

click on the pics to get the full size pics.

If you need any more, Ill sort 'em out for you, It'll be a few hours, as I got my daughter for a couple of hours . :thumb:

speak to you soon :thumb:

[quote author="Kid Squid"]Took me a while to get the pics on, but here they are :grin: [/quote]

NICE! Inspires me in my Analag compressor build.. :thumb:

you can always make the release faster. You can make it too fast also; then the cap can't ever charge and it never compresses.

I built one a year or so ago. There were some mods I incorporated into the unit as suggested by somebody here, but I can't find the list at the moment. I think all I did was add some extra filtering to the node feeding the wiper of the Current Control pot and used 1N4007 diodes instead of the 5Y3 rectifier. Otherwise the unit was stock. Input/output transformers were Edcor 600:10K. Power transformer was something I had lying around at the time which gave me roughly the right HT supply voltage. I remember I grappled with the unit for a while because of hum problems.

Sounds good on vocals and bass, although the unit has waaaay too much gain for most applications - I can only use it with the input level pot barely off minimum. I think some people here suggested changing the input transformer to 10K:10K for a more usable level, or fitting the output with some kind of pad, but I've yet to try this myself. It's a little bit noisy too, but not enough to worry me in the middle of a full mix.

Just looking at the schematic now, I think making the 1u capacitor (C1) on the cathodes of the 6SK7 smaller will yeild a shorter release time but will also decrease the attack time aswell. Increasing the 47K resistor (R11) feeding the top of the capacitor will compensate to a degree, but there will always be some interaction between attack and release times.

Thanks for that. You dont seem that enamoured with your unit.
Get yourself a Daven for the unit - it definitely will help you using it.
I have them on almost all my tube stuff.
You are probably not really driivng the unit for much compression having the input down so low. With a pad you can really drive the input and hear more of the character of the unit.

Surely the 1uf cap can be kept and the 2M resistor can be made smaller to make the release time shorter? Or am I missing something?

I have not been disappointed so far with anything I have that contains octal tubes. I think I will definitely try building this one.

Did you end up winding the heaters with a balanced configuration / centre tap to ground like most other units? There seems no reason why it should be wired unbalanced.

There is an old AWA limiter with 4 6SK7 and a PP 6SN7 output. That looks cool aswell.

Latest posts

Back