Federal Limiter AM864 thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I do:

VU and dB meters both measure the audio power involved in recording and they both use logarithmic scales to report that power. Because of these logarithmic scales, a factor of 10 increase in power produces an increase of 10 in both the VU reading and the dB reading. For example, -20 dB is 10 times the power of -30 dB. In both measures, the zero is chosen as the highest acceptable power--the highest power for which distortion is acceptible. Where VU and dB differ is in how they measure audio power.

VU is short for "volume units" and it is a measure of average audio power. A VU meter responds relatively slowly and considers the sound volume over a period of time. Its zero is set to the level at which there is 1% total harmonic distortion in the recorded signal.

dB is short for "decibels" and it is a measure of instantaneous audio power. A dB meter responds very rapidly and considers the audio power at each instant. Its zero is set to the level at which there is 3% total harmonic distortion.

Because of these differences in zero definitions, the dB meter's zero is roughly at the VU meter's +8. Nonetheless, both meters are important and both should be kept at or below zero to avoid significant distortion in a recording. In certain situations, such as when there are sudden loud sounds or with instruments that are very rich in harmonics, it's possible to have the dB meter read above zero even though the VU meter remains below zero.

Hey Guys -- my B+ is 220V -- I'd like to knock it down to 200V
All my Voltages are on the high side (so I'm hoping if I pull the B+ down it will in turn pull my other voltages down a little)

Whats the best way to make that happen?

thanks

Thanks Dave -- I'll leave it alone -- the units sound good.

The scratchy Pots issue that I tried to express early was fixed by using 2W pots.

One more issue I'm trying understand is:

when I turn the Threshold Pot past 70% (3 O'clock) I get a motor-boating sound if there is no signal passing through the unit. What is the cause of that?

It may be hard to get rid of completely unless your 6SK7s are perfectly matched (unlikely), or you add a balance pot to the vari-mu stage. For now, try tweaking the current control and see if that helps.

A&B : YES
i ve used 3 10w resistors to have 208V on my clone. (btw half wave rect.)
http://groupdiy.twin-x.com/displayimage.php?album=165&pos=3

good luck with your vu (but as it s an original one it would be easier than my "fake one" which is a bit approximative reading spec..)

since you score thoses gar vu meters you l l need a 4u front panel now :wink:
audioforge

AF

Yours is beautiful!

I wish I used a 4 unit rack and really stayed to true to the front panel design like yours.... I'll post pictures of my two units soon.

David

The motorboating stopped because dropping the B+ reduced the total loop gain of the vari-mu and sidechain circuits. Adjusting the current control would have had more-or-less the same result.

I don't mean to pick on you--a LOT of people here are guilty of this--but ya gotta learn Ohm's Law and use it. It's easy, and it answers a lot of questions. You're dropping 20V across a 150-ohm resistor, so your current is I = V/R = 20/150 = 0.133A. Power dissipated in the resistor is P = Vsq / R = (20*20)/150 = 2.6 Watts. (You could have also arrived at the same result by using P = Isq * R).

You should generally use a resistor rated for at least twice the power that it'll have to dissipate under normal conditions, so a 10W resistor should be fine.

As for whether or not it's a good practice: nobody should want to waste power in heating up resistors, but sometimes there's no getting around it.

Lookin' good, D. How do they sound?

I have some of those same knobs from Leeds... But I bought the ones on "special" that came without the set-screws, so I'll have to chase some down before I can use the knobs.

Where'd you get the chassis?

Hi Kubi,

There are 3 control Knobs -

Attenuator
Threshold
current control (i put the current control in the back)

The current control kind of feels like a Ratio control. Although your voltages can go 20 to 30% off by adjusting that Pot.

Hi,
does someone have a copy of the zip file that cannikin posted? He has lost his and I would really like to have it without him having to rescan the papers.

Thanks,
hejsan

Back