Feeler: ez760 - Compressor/Limiter/Expander/Gate

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanx guys but I had this information already. And that's the main reason I would like to install at least the output transformers. Those units don't have a lot of output clipping level for modern times.

I would like to know what else change except balancing and more output gain (6dB no ?).
Things like how it sounds and behave, frequency curve,...

Is there somebody who found a good source for the fet's? I bought some at RS/Farnell and those were inferior than the ones in the unit.

I bought like 40 of them and there were no 2 that came close.

Is there a way to improve SN ratio?

If you work in the sweet spot of the unit, it is a very creative and nice sounding tool esp. in a mix process. But for tracking it is a little tricky. For convenience, the gain level should be shifted like 10 dB.

I didn't bother putting a "kit" as it seemed members want to pick and choose different styles.... so the parts are just individual, pots (OM-01-075 and OM-01-076), switches (LO-03-001 and LO-03-002), input TX is VTB9046 and output TX is VTB2311.

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask about it, but here goes. (admins please move this to a separate thread if needed)

Just finished calibrating mine.
It seems some steps in the calibration procedure need to be repeated various times to get them right, but it isn't too hard after all.
I couldn't totally figure out the Expander/ gate part of the calibration, probably because I haven't used an original compex.
Especially adjusting the expander's threshold caused me some headache.
I guess the threshold adjustment has to be done after the other adjustments so the "starting point" is right, right?
Also, I'm not totally sure where the range pot should be set during the threshold adjustment.
Would really appreciate if people with experience (in calibrating the 760) chimed in.

All in all, this wasn't as hard a project as I expected, but it still required some extra thought, because the slightly unusual layout with the motherboard and small daughter boards etc.
It does sound very nice and the separate modules (comp/lim/exp/gate) all seem useful used on their own or together! Definitely no regrets about deciding to build this!  ;D
Just waiting for cases now, let's hope Dan will ship them soon.

Thanks go to Colin for the nice layout/ project and the Carnhills, of course :) Buying stuff from you has always been seamless.

Congratulations..... I think that you are the first member to finish.....

The calibration procedure for these things is a bit "hit and miss".... the first few that I did involved a lot of "twiddle until it works".....

The latest version of the procedure in the colourbook should get the desired results.... I used it for the last 3 I made... and they seemed fine.

http://www.audiomaintenance.com/downloads/ez760_colourbook.pdf

If you have no metalwork it may be a bit more awkward as it does refer to some of the pots being in particular positions.

Maybe a new "build thread" could be a good idea.

Once you start using it in anger you will soon discover how good it is.... I don't record/mix but I managed to turn a skinny white female jazz singer into a big fat black mama soul singer in about 20 minutes.... I impressed myself.

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Slenderchap said:
Once you start using it in anger you will soon discover how good it is.... I don't record/mix but I managed to turn a skinny white female jazz singer into a big fat black mama soul singer in about 20 minutes.... I impressed myself.

How versatile is it? Any samples? How does it sound on drums?

Hi, I am about done with a mouser BOM that includes almost all parts listed in the colourbook. A couple items need to be sourced elsewhere. At the moment I am still looking through mouser parts for substitutes for the 5 bat-handle switches, the domed LED's, as well as looking for subs for the BC212B's and BC212L's. Looks like BC560B's might work as a sub for the 212B's (i'll order them to see how it goes). Are the 212B's and 212L's the same except for pinout? Anyone know if there is a suitable sub for the 212L.

If anyone knows of suitable subs for these parts I would appreciate it.

Best,
jonathan

Just curious, from those who have built this, how difficult would you say the build is? 

I have built exactly zero DIY anythings, but am comfortable with a soldering station and the "color by numbers" instructions make it look farily straightforward.

I am debating trying this one or the GSSL (which I have found a North American BOM for, which is an another concern of mine). 

Regards,

MR

Building it is probably easier than a GSSL because of the documentation..... the problem lies in what happens if you make a build mistake (transistor in backwards) or you are unlucky enough to buy a faulty component (open circuit resistor)..... If you are new to DIY you may have real difficulty in getting a complicated project like these working.....

It is very easy to make a mistake ... I do it (after 30 years of practice).... Roy (works here) does it as well (after 40 years of practice)... he fitted a diode in backwards yesterday....

You would probably be best starting with a simpler project, or one which has been done by lots of poeple (like the ez1290)... as lots of members could help you to get it going (if you have difficulty).

Even the upcoming ez1073 would probably be a better choice as lots of members are familiar with the circuit....

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Thanks, Colin.

I think I will try to rack up a couple of Spectrasonic 110's using a few kits (JLM Go-Betweens and Five Fish Power supplies/transformers) as a project to "whet my DIY whistle".

I will take a look at your suggestions for starter projects as well.

Regards,

MR

0dbfs said:
Hi, I am about done with a mouser BOM that includes almost all parts listed in the colourbook. A couple items need to be sourced elsewhere.

You wouldn't mind posting that BOM after you get it done would you? I have the boards, but I haven't started sourcing parts because I've been to busy.... Having a BOM would really speed things up.

Thanks in advance.

Here's a copy of my Mouser BOM.... it's a doc file... really should learn to do these things in excel.  This is for a stereo unit.  
I'd double check all the BC caps and get the best fitting ones.... I had a bugger of a time getting some of the oversized
caps to fit

On another note, I got all 1/2w resistors... which are probably overkill... and had a time getting these to fit nicely as well
In any case, maybe the BOM will help with the rest

cheers,
dave

Attachments

• Compex BOM.doc
    33.5 KB · Views: 95
Here's another BOM that imports into the mouser bom import tool located here:

http://www.mouser.com/bom/bom.aspx

Just make sure that all the parts are really what you want to order. I have not ordered this yet and will probably go through it a little more. It's in a nice easy import format though so you can edit it for your own purposes as needed and maybe save a little time. Some required parts may be missing or incorrect so please double-check before you order and let me know and I might be able to modify and re-upload.

NON-MOUSER parts are also listed in this file (Taken directly from Colin's BOM in the colourbook.pdf) so don't import those.

Total price comes up to about $235 from mouser. This is minus meter, transformers, case, etc...

Best,
jonathan

Attachments

• ez760_BOM_001.txt
    12.5 KB · Views: 122
0dbfs said:
Here's another BOM that imports into the mouser bom import tool located here:

http://www.mouser.com/bom/bom.aspx

Just make sure that all the parts are really what you want to order. I have not ordered this yet and will probably go through it a little more. It's in a nice easy import format though so you can edit it for your own purposes as needed and maybe save a little time. Some required parts may be missing or incorrect so please double-check before you order and let me know and I might be able to modify and re-upload.

NON-MOUSER parts are also listed in this file (Taken directly from Colin's BOM in the colourbook.pdf) so don't import those.

Total price comes up to about $235 from mouser. This is minus meter, transformers, case, etc...

Best,
jonathan
Great job Jonathan.
Please give us some feedback when you have ordered the BOM.

Cheers
Soren

HI,

building an unbalanced version is attractive due the price of building a 760.

Colin,

what are the steps needed to create an unbalanced in and out version of this unit?

regards

michael

I am sorry for bumping up an old thread but I have gained a lot of interest in this build lately. Does anyone have a mouser cart laying around? How much did this build end up costing you guys? My christmas build is between this or the new EQP-1S5 500 series EQ... Hmmm... :)

Back