Feeler: ez760 - Compressor/Limiter/Expander/Gate

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
buildafriend said:
I am sorry for bumping up an old thread but I have gained a lot of interest in this build lately. Does anyone have a mouser cart laying around? How much did this build end up costing you guys? My christmas build is between this or the new EQP-1S5 500 series EQ... Hmmm... :)

Mouser bom about five posts up. May need to search out a couple substitutions since that was awhile ago. I think the bom comes to about 150 ea. I just spent a couple hundred on transformers and pots from AML for two units. Mouser next. I got a couple chassis from Dan's WM thread. Very nice but they took a while to be delivered. At this point I just need to start stuffing. I also ordered the bc212's from ebay. I think the meters came from hairball. parts from all over.

Have not really thought about PSU yet. Will probably use a 24V line lump to get them going before building something better but totally looking forward to using these on some mixes.

Check out the schematic. There are a lot of blocking electrolytics in the signal path so I would expect the sum of all those will have a significant effect on the sound. The ones in my mouser bom are not the same as the AML bom but I think you can order the nicer ones from digikey.

So, I've got a tiny bit more procurement to work through before I can finish but getting really close on these now.

I'll try to post some progress photo's.

Ciao,
Jonathan

Mine are pretty much done however I am still working on getting the switch-PCB mounted to the front panels and the I/O wired up. Have not run audio yet but will be doing that soon. Pending any "issues" that is.

I stuffed with whatever electro's I ordered for audio path but i've got some PIO's which I am going to swap in and test once I get them finished and all calibrated. It will probably be hard to get them "fitted" since they are so much larger than what I have in there

They look sorta like this so far.

Cheers,
jb

Attachments

• ez760_med.JPG
    ez760_med.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 343
This thread has me lusting!  Great job everyone.  I'm resisting as hard as I can but I have a feeling once I hear them I will be in. 

Again nice work Dan and Collin and Gustav!

Slenderchap said:
We do now have stock of rotary switches and pots (output transformers are expected this week).... just have to decide what parts to put in a kit.

Hi Colin.

I cant PM you, and I have tried mail in vain. I just wanted to hear if you want some direct links to avaliable parts for any of my projects on the site I set up, especially this one. Please get in touch :)

Gustav

If anyone happens to be building this, I'm planning to order a load of transistors from Rapid. 25+ and 100+ quantities of transistors will cut down the cost a bit. Also if buying some of the switches and all of the trimmers from Rapid it will work out alot less too. Sifam knobs and coloured caps from Canford is another option. Maybe theres someone with these PCBs who hasn't stuffed them yet? I'll wait a couple of weeks before ordering in case anyone wants partake in a mini groupbuy.
Matt.

MatthisD said:
If anyone happens to be building this, I'm planning to order a load of transistors from Rapid. 25+ and 100+ quantities of transistors will cut down the cost a bit. Also if buying some of the switches and all of the trimmers from Rapid it will work out alot less too. Sifam knobs and coloured caps from Canford is another option. Maybe theres someone with these PCBs who hasn't stuffed them yet? I'll wait a couple of weeks before ordering in case anyone wants partake in a mini groupbuy.
Matt.

Hi Matt,

Took interest in this comp earlier this week but was difficult to research on this in the last several days with the site outage (due to maintenance, but still...) but I am planning on doing two of these myself. Only issue is I am in the U.S., so not sure if that is going to add to pricing and defeat the purpose/cost-saving of a groupbuy for me?

Thanks,
Chris

I didn't expect an reply to be honest. It would be quite economical as I have 3 PCBs to stuff. Also for light-weight items like transistors and trimmers only, the postage will be; approx. €4 standard or €8 registered. For a package also containing toggle switches, knobs and possibly some other parts, the postage only goes up by €1 or €2. The knobs listed in the BOM from RS have only a couple of cap colours whereas if using the Sifam knobs then Canford have several cap colours. It might be complicated with £ to € to $ but it'll be the exact cost of parts+postage if that wasn't clear already. Considering 46 transistors and 14 trimmers costing about 12 to 15 euro (per channel) you can compare that to your own sources and see what you think.
Matt

I might be down to split up a parts order for this, I have 2 channels I need to stuff. Do you have a link to the knobs you're thinking about?

Ok, knob here:

http://www.canford.co.uk/Products/58-903_SIFAM-S151-250-COLLET-KNOB-155mm-diameter-025-inch-shaft-black

Hi Colin,

Been having great difficulty with your online store.

I've tried in Internet Explorer and Google Chrome and both return something about cookies not being enabled, yet there's two cookies present for your website when I checked in settings. Strange.

I tried PM'ing you but it says I'm blocked...

I would like to order the following parts for a stereo 760 build if it's possible.

6 x LO-03-001 (12 way 1 Gang 1 Pole rotary switch)
2 x LO-03-002 (6 way 1 Gang 2 Pole rotary switch)
6 x OM-01-075 (10kLog Vert Mount 20mm Pot)
2 x OM-01-076 (47kLog Vert Mount 20mm Pot)

My email; langeq2002 -a-t- yahoo -d-o-t- com

Does anyone have an email address for orders at Audio Maintenance? I'm not able to get that off the site for the same reasons.

Regards,
Mark

Alright, on my way, thanks Colin.  8)

A couple of questions.

1) I see the recommended power supply is 400ma for a mono build. I'm assuming that is over-rated since it's an outboard unit. Anyone know what the stereo version pulls current wise?

2) Looking over my ddt front panel, I see no provision for a stereo link toggle.

Anyone have any ideas how to implement a link switch on the stereo version? A new hole in the front panel looks pretty tight.

Mark

Hi
I am about to start my twin channel EZ760 and have all of the components (I think) apart from the meters. I thought I had seen reference to meters earlier in the thread but couldn't find it. I have used Sifam for my earlier 1176 builds but they took a ages to be delivered, and Hairball audio for a CLX VU. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Cheers
Steve

Back